• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8500 max vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi folks

Playing with an e8500 on phase change and wondering what vcore I should be trying without smoking the CPU. Been running at 1.63v but results are craptastic. Iirc, 1.7v is where the CPU fails...is that true? Have seen others running at 1.68-1.7v.

Anyone?

Also...is the 1.7v max (or whatever the max is) the same for all socket 775 cpus? Anyone know a site that lists max voltages by CPU?

Not sure, personally.. I would imagine more than that? What does Hwbot show for the top results? Those lived long enough to run the benchmarks at least! :)

not sure on phase, prolly not give then extreme cooling your using. i think the highest i have heard/read of someone using for benching only sessions was around 2v, though that could have been a 65nm core 2.

Im pretty sure 2v is the highest you can run. Not sure if a phase can handle that though. Would have to goto LH or LN.

Also believe youll need to volt mod your board as well.

As far as the highest vcore you can hit? Take it till the temps get out of control. Ive pushed those 45nm core2 chips to 90c no problem on water without failing at 1.6v.

I've run well over 2V on LN2... (For no other reason than to see what would happen... Chips lived FWIW... But I haven't found one that scaled up there.)

But I'd seriously suggest to stay below 1.7 on SS.

All depends on how risky you wanna be with frying the chip really.

DISCLAIMER FOR BELOW STATEMENT... I'm notorious for being extra abusive to C2D's... I don't have a problem running the guts out of them cause they are so cheap. It's up to you if you want to risk it.

Having said that...

I'd go till it quit scaling myself... Which is probably going to be somewhere below 1.7V depending on how well your SS handles the load, but... If it's still scaling... Push it higher.

Eventually you'll either hit the chips FSB limit... Or run out of cooling and the chip will quit scaling.

You ran over 2v with 45nm C2D? Maybe I havent looked hard enough, but I havent found anyone run over 2v with 45nm C2D.

You ran over 2v with 45nm C2D? Maybe I havent looked hard enough, but I havent found anyone run over 2v with 45nm C2D.

Doz meet Convicted1. He has very little respect for HW and much less for cheap HW like C2D and high voltage DDR2/DDR3. You really owe it to yourself to watch one of his streams one day... :D I've laughed nervously, screamed in horror and almost cried watching him abuse those poor little chips.

Back