• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Owning Your Own Cable Modem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorito Bandit

Was thinking about purchasing my own cable modem to eliminate Comcast's modem rental fee, and was wondering if any of you have done the same? If so, how long have you had yours and does it seem to perform any better than the one that Comcast supplied? Also, what modem did you purchase?

I've heard of some folks even getting a speed increase from their Internet after purchasing their own modems. I'm already getting the speed you see in the image below.

Speed Test.PNG

Not bad, but even with that speed it's still difficult to watch an HD video from youtube without the video constantly stopping. I'll have to pause the video and let it download a few more minutes before continuing to watch it. I also play FPS games (Battlefield 3 and BattlefieldPlay4Free) and will lose connection at least once during the time I play. Being in an intense gun fight then losing connection is annoying as (insert your choice of word here ).

Just wanted to check with you all before I went out and purchased one. Plus, the less money I have to give Comcast, the better!

Thanks in advance!

...There is no reason why you can't stream an HD video from Youtube, Netflix off your PS3, and play Battlefield 3 on another PC with that speed. I can stream HD Youtube off my 6mbps connection. You have other issues at hand. Are you using gigabit in your LAN? Have you scanned your computer recently for malware?

As far as purchasing cable modems, if you buy one, get one that supports DOCSIS 3.0. I believe it's cheaper in the long run to purchase your own modem than to continue paying monthly forever, renting one from the ISP.

I heard Comcast spies on your internet connection and slows it down if you do... certain things, you think this is true? I know its a bit off topic but still I wanna know. Can't believe theres a rental fee with comcast, q_Q AT&T has no such charges.

...There is no reason why you can't stream an HD video from Youtube, Netflix off your PS3, and play Battlefield 3 on another PC with that speed. I can stream HD Youtube off my 6mbps connection. You have other issues at hand. Are you using gigabit in your LAN? Have you scanned your computer recently for malware?

No gigabit. I'm hard wired (cat 5) into my router, which is connected to the Comcast modem. Even a direct connection from the modem doesn't help. And it is a new modem and DOCSIS 3.0 compliant. I too understand that I should be able to watch HD vids from youtube with this speed. A friend has Comcast and a 30+Mpbs speed and she also has the same probs watching HD youtube vids. So, I guess Comcast is slowing us down.

My computer is clean form a fresh install a few days ago. I don't surf the dark corners of the net. I am pretty careful about this.

As far as purchasing cable modems, if you buy one, get one that supports DOCSIS 3.0. I believe it's cheaper in the long run to purchase your own modem than to continue paying monthly forever, renting one from the ISP.

Yeah, I've learned this by reading a lot on modem technology, lately. I was looking at these 2 cable modems if I get one.

MOTOROLA SB6121 SURFboard Cable Modem

and this one

MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard Cable Modem

Both are DOCSIS 3.0 compliant and have a lot of positive reviews. I'd probably go with the SB6141 if I purchase one. Like I said, this would at least take away Comcast's stupid $7 modem rental fee. I swear, they will find a way to charge you for everything!

Thanks for your input, guys! I do appreciate it and look forward to more.:attn:

I've had my own for a bit over a year now, has completely paid for itself.

Motorola sb6120

Definitely get the 6141. I have the premium option that needs the docsis 3. I'm with the Cox isp and never rented a modem.

I heard Comcast spies on your internet connection and slows it down if you do... certain things, you think this is true? I know its a bit off topic but still I wanna know. Can't believe theres a rental fee with comcast, q_Q AT&T has no such charges.

they do, or so I been told.
BTW roadrunner makes you pay 5$ more for wifi lol

Own my own comcast modem, SB5120, Motorola's are some of the best and you dont need docsic 3.0 either.

Its a con job, maybe one day, but not now.

Yeah, I held on to my 5000 series as long as I could, but either the surfboard or the Linksys (wireless G) router was dying. Got tired of resetting daily so I decided to replace both.

But the only plus of Docsis 3.0 over 2.0 is Comcast can better track your data useage. We may or may not see better downloads with the upgrade.

Own my own comcast modem, SB5120, Motorola's are some of the best and you dont need docsic 3.0 either.

Its a con job, maybe one day, but not now.

The modem was the best they had at my local best buy store. It works well and I get great speeds with it through comcast.

I have a SB6120 that has served me well over the years.

Both the SB6121 and 41 are docsis 3.0. The former supports 4/4 channel bonding and the latter 8/4 bonding.

Which means the 21 will max out at roughly 128/128 mbit (down/up) while the 41 will max out at roughly 256/128. Of course there are many other factors which affect speed.

Yeah, I held on to my 5000 series as long as I could, but either the surfboard or the Linksys (wireless G) router was dying. Got tired of resetting daily so I decided to replace both.

But the only plus of Docsis 3.0 over 2.0 is Comcast can better track your data useage. We may or may not see better downloads with the upgrade.

I'm also using an old Linksys wireless G router (WRT54GS), that I am hard-wired into. It's been an awesome router, but it could also be the reason I am loosing my Internet connection at times. Who knows, maybe it and my cable modem don't like each other. I mean, they both sit there all day plugged into one another. Hmmmmm. :D

Back