• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Keyboard/mouse gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamato

Long story short, I've been a console gamer my whole life. When I started PC gaming, I use my xbox controller or PS3 controller. Recently purchased Battlefield 3, and realized I"m forced to use the keyboard/mouse. Is there a quick/better/easier option than using my regular trackball and wireless standard keyboard? I feel like even after a couple hours of playing, I'm still fumbling around the keyboard and struggling to move smoothly around levels (especially without looking down at keys).

I'm willing to purchase new toys if need be :D

What keyboard and mouse?

It could help to get a proper set if yours are on the cheap side ($30 set) of things.

I can't for the life of me game with a trackball mouse. Just not as responsive. That or I'm just not used to them.

Anyways its just something you have to learn. Just got to get the muscle memory going with keyboard play and I can almost guarntee you won't want to go back to a controller. At least for fps games.

Trackball mouse? Definitely get a new mouse and keyboard...having a super awesome rig to max out games is completely pointless, IMO, if your peripherals aren't up to match.

How much are you willing to spend?

Wow, I just caught the trackball part. Yes, new mouse.

I've used the Logitech M510 and G700 extensively and love both of them.

My personal use goes with these 2 beauties:

Logitech G400

Ducky Shine 2 Cherry MX Red

I recommend finding a good quality mouse that you like the feel of in your hand, with the top 2 mice currently available IMO being the Logi G400 or the SteelSeries Sensei (due to their sensor quality). Of course, don't forget you want a decent mouse pad as well, in which I tend to recommend SteelSeries QcK series cloth pads or a PureTrak Talent pad.

For keyboards, I say go mechanical and never look back, especially for games (Such as the SteelSeries 6Gv2 or 7G, Ducky Shine 2, Filco Majestouch, Corsair K70). The Corsair K70 probably being more widely available than the others, and cheaper too I believe.

Razer Deathadder is also a great mouse, but outside of that, Logitech is almost pretty much the way to go for FPS mice. Also look at the Logitech G400, which is basically the new MX518 (an older tried and true model).

Keyboard, definitely go mechanical. Also, for FPS where you don't need that many keys, look at the Razer Nostromo (despite the fact that it's not mechanical, I find myself using that for games and my mechanical keyboard for typing. There is a mechanical version called the Orbweaver but it's pricey).

I looked at the Nostromo and it seemed interesting, I just couldn't tell (from lack of experience) if it would be enough for your average FPS.

I prefer to keep everything wireless if possible, mostly because I game at my entertainment center in the living room, and draping cords with three rambunctious dogs is a no no. If it boiled down to not having any wireless options I'd be willing to run USB extensions under the throw rugs as well.

You can get some pretty good keyboards that are wireless, but I don't think there are any mechanical that are wireless.

Well, I'm willing to do wired if I have to. Looks like the g700 is wireless, so I'll probably go that route for the mouse (do these gaming mice need pads?). As for the keyboard, I'm really digging the nostromo style pad (not full keyboard). Any downsides to these? Realistically, unless I really fall in love with gaming this way, I'm only going to be using these on a few games.

As someone who's played on a competitive CEVO Pro team for FPS games in the past, wireless has too many variables imo.

Of course, if it's nothing like a large competitive environment you plan to play in, for a mouse the Logitech G700 comes to mind, but as far as keyboards... You could probably list a bunch of wireless keyboards, and throw a dart.... They will all be on the lower end of the keyboard spectrum. So I would say just grab a Logitech wireless keyboard too, or keep your current, as the difference will be nil.

Edit:
Yes you will want a mousepad, some lasers/sensors may work on a particular material such as wood(grain, etc.), but others will simply constantly lose "focus".

Last edited:
Cool thing about the G700, its wired or wireless (and not just wired charging, wired data too).

I've never used mine wireless, but I've heard the battery (rechargeable) isn't great.

Logitech has one also, check the G13.

IMO, those are add-ons for when you have a keyboard already.

Those gamepad keyboards are pretty cool but I would first get a good keyboard. Most of the time a good keyboard will get the job done and a gameboard isn't really needed. At least imo. I mean they are a cool device if you take the time to make specific profiles and macros for your game but I'm just to lazy to set that up. Plus for me when I had my g13 the finger placement was a little different and had to relearn muscle memory for the gamepad (which I never really did cause I didn't play enough). But you on the other hand might find it easier cause you're more like a fresh canvas and still learning how to play with a regular keyboard.

Honestly, going mechanical you will not want to look back. But, as far as membrane goes, the Logitech boards are about as good as they get IMO.

Just a note, with mechanical keyboards, you really, really need to find the type of switch you like.

I first tried Cherry MX Blacks and MX Reds, and frankly I liked my Logitech membrane keyboard better than both. Then I tried Browns and fell in love.

Back