• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a beastrouter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

beast·rou·ter 'beest-rou-ter,
noun
A router that kicks so much *** it is said to have beast-like properties.

My home has three levels as well as radiant flooring. Getting a strong signal to all parts of the home has proved to be difficult. I've considered powerline networking, but cell phones still wouldn't have great coverage. Running a router on each floor isn't an option because one can't drill through the aluminum under the flooring that's used for radiant heating, and the hell with visible wires.

I threw DD-WRT on my WRT54GS v7, kicked up the tx from 71 to 120, did nothing.

That leaves a better router, I don't even know what to look for. Routers go up to 50k on Newegg, is $300 enough to get me what I need?

Okay, somehow I missed the part where you said "no drilling through floors". Whoops.

I have another idea, though if you don't like visual clutter you probably won't like it.

At our house, we've got ethernet cables run along the ceiling, going to some computers, and one connecting to a wireless AP. If you have a stairway to the other floors (I assume you do :) ) you could just run the cable along the ceiling at the stairs.

Would that possibly work?

"and the hell with visible wires"

But thanks :)

At the moment I'm not really interested in other ideas, if I can't get a router for under $500 that'll get the job done then I'll think of something else.

Not sure you are going to get something without repeaters in the house. Which you don't need visible Ethernet wires for, but it would be helpful to extend via wired instead of wirelessly.

This is what I have: http://www.asus.com/Networking/EAN66/

I have it sitting in the corner of my family room (main router is in my office upstairs). Works pretty darn well (used to get 1-2 wifi bars on my phone, now get full signal). It still has to be powered, but maybe a combination of powerline + repeater to ensure better signal?

How about something like THIS?

They bought one at work, but haven't set it up yet?

EDIT. Just read about the wires issue. I recommend Asus Rt routers to everyone I know. Not sure if the latest Rt66 would work for you.

beast·rou·ter 'beest-rou-ter,
noun
A router that kicks so much *** it is said to have beast-like properties.

My home has three levels as well as radiant flooring. Getting a strong signal to all parts of the home has proved to be difficult. I've considered powerline networking, but cell phones still wouldn't have great coverage. Running a router on each floor isn't an option because one can't drill through the aluminum under the flooring that's used for radiant heating, and the hell with visible wires.

I threw DD-WRT on my WRT54GS v7, kicked up the tx from 71 to 120, did nothing.

That leaves a better router, I don't even know what to look for. Routers go up to 50k on Newegg, is $300 enough to get me what I need?

here is my question, is it through the whole floor? you have to have something for electrical to go though to your panel, they would have had to drill holes at some point.

is there a central space in your attic that the wire chases down? just getting some ideas brewing ;)

Another thing you could consider is powerline APs. There are some powerline kits that have a built in AP on the far end. This could solve your signal problems atleast. Then again, with wifi rekeying, you would have some roaming issues possibly in the overlap areas.

Your electrical wiring is going up from one floor to another, can you run ethernet cables alongside your electrical wiring? The EMI will probable cut some of your throughput, but something is better than nothing. Then you can run a AP on each floor

Did you try putting your router on the center floor? Then the signal only has to go through one level to get coverage in any area of the house.

What kind of throughput are you looking for?

Can you get away with just 2.4ghz or do you need 5ghz as well?

Put some bigger antennas on your WRT54G?

Have you tried a repeater? Using two identical devices running DD-WRT and setting the second up as a WDS repeater is probably the best way to go if you use repeaters. Note that single radio repeaters will cut your speed in half. The basic repeaters that just plug into power outlets are generally useless.

Use a more powerful access point? I've had good luck with Engenius - something like the ECB300? http://www.engeniustech.com/busines...indoor-access-points-client-bridges_c88_m331/

For some serious coverage use dual radio devices with the 5ghz radios running a WDS backhaul and the 2.4ghz radios acting as access points, but that'll be $$$.

Ubiquiti UniFi could possibly do what you want. Runs PoE injectors and you could set it into a wireless uplink mode. Or an M5 series. Those things are usually used for long range(2-6 mile) throws. So indoors would be....interesting...

get the netgear R7000. the Nighthawk.

install kongs dd-wrt build on it and you now have a router that lives up to its name. IN FULL. -u- yes.

and guess what? the router is only 200 dollars 0u0 sweet eh?

Last edited:
or a power line adapter going into the other room with the other router instead of running a wire

Back