• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird power issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Imperatrix

okay so to break it down i have a Msi Z77 Mpower , Hx850 , 2600k , 16gb of corsair vengence. using a custom liquid cooled loop for cooling im running 1.4v core for 24/7 daily use at 4.7ghz ive tried removing oc. replacing power supply and still getting the issue where my computer basicly restarts with no BSODS or anything. what else could be the issue?

When does it restart? At the BIOS screen, starting windows, at windows, etc?

If you can get into windows, how are your temps?

Have you tried with minimal hardware? (Only required hardware installed. One stick RAM, no graphic card, etc)

Try booting with a liveboot disk. Does it boot fine?

it runs fine then randomly no set amount of time it just powers off like losing power. like i was tri boxing on wow then boom it reset. i haven't tried minimal. it doesn't power off just sitting in windows or anything. i just replaced my 680 with a 780 too D:

Do you have the graphic card overclocked at all?

So it only happens when you're doing something, have you watched your temps? Could be overheating.

Gaming temps never above 50c ( cpu ) gpu is not oc'd and i have a temp target set no higher then 70

Did the problem start when you upgraded to the 780? Or was it happening before also.

Maybe try running Memtest? And/or boot with a liveboot and run something to stress your cpu and graphic card.

Did the problem start when you upgraded to the 780? Or was it happening before also.

Maybe try running Memtest? And/or boot with a liveboot and run something to stress your cpu and graphic card.

Happened prior to upgrading from the 680 to the 780 as well. I also rma'd my Corsair HX850 PSU and got the replacement installed and still the same issue happens. Random reboot no BSOD.

Ran Memtest on individual sticks one pass no errors. Shutdown computer and loaded into Windows only to have it reboot on the logon screen. No BSOD. I do have automatic restart disabled so I should be able to see if I was getting them.

Next I guess I'll try another motherboard. Is it possible that something on the board is broken? All looks good visually but could the VRM be faulty? I'm running out of ideas.

Could it possibly be a OS or hard drive issue? ? You could try using a liveboot. One way is to go download Ubuntu and follow the directions to try it from a USB drive. Once in this, or any other liveboot, download something to stress the system. Start Folding, download Prime95, etc. Just any program that is going to bring your cpu and graphic card to full usage.

Did anything happen shortly before the issue started happening? Thunderstorm, threw your computer out the window, new hardware/software?

Edit: The possibly not-so-obvious, obvious possible cause. Are all the connections on the back of your computer solid? Power cable isn't loose? :p

still getting the issue where my computer basicly restarts with no BSODS or anything. what else could be the issue?

I would try another outlet and get a UPS if you don't have one.
Sounds more like a power company issue.
More like repeated short outages. And it's possible that you won't have clocks reset in the house when that occurs.
Windows only reboots if it finds an error.

my brother sits right next to me his computer is just as power hungry dunno if its a power company issue.

My cousin had a very similar problem and they couldn't figure it out. Would randomly reset and/or power off. Turned out that on the back powersupply they had the switch for input voltage 220 (I think its 220) and 110volts flipped in the middle.

You can also try to change the outlet to the one your brother is using.

sorry to inform you gentlemen but as of last night patient z77 Mpower has died :/ so back to using my backup board ( Asus cheap pos ) ive had no crashes so maybe it was a VRM issue with the board or something going crzy.

sorry to inform you gentlemen but as of last night patient z77 Mpower has died :/ so back to using my backup board ( Asus cheap pos ) ive had no crashes so maybe it was a VRM issue with the board or something going crzy.

Sounds like the board shorting out.
(Like precipitation on a real wet winter night making the substation arc.) (And making the lights go out and back on.)

Back