• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tiny tiny mITX case compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikexmayhem

Registered
i am looking to aquire this case
http://www.logicsupply.com/m350/?gclid=CIfpm6ii17gCFUgV7Aod62sAAQ#prettyPhoto...

i want to put this motherboard with stock cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157367...

any ideas if i will run into issues with clearance?

my main concern however is power. the only thing connected to this will be a solid state boot drive (internal), cheap processor like Intel Celeron G530, 4 gb ram, and a 3tb media library hard drive externally.

any thoughts?

edit: links fixed.
also may go with noctua nh-l9i low pro cpu cooler

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have any clearance issues with either cooler. The stock cooler has to fit for the case to meet design standards.

The case only fits pico-PSUs, right? You wont be using much power since the CPU is 65W, so I'd probably get the 120W pico-PSU.

The only difference is 0.2 GHz, so that's a 7-8% speed increase over the G1610. I highly doubt it would be noticeable, but it is only $10 more. It's really up to you on that one.

What will you be using this PC for? If it won't be running at 100% load the majority of the time, then I would just get the G1610 personally.

i will be using it for xbmc if youve heard of that. watching media that i will have on my 3tb hard drive as my tv alternative. that is IT. thats its sole purpose. alot of my movies are blu-ray quality or blu-ray/dvd discs through an external player. but again thats all its for is playing hd movies and tv shows

I don't have experience in media streaming. There shouldn't be much of a difference between the G1610 and G1630 for playing videos. I would be more worried about the USB2.0 external HDD being able to send 1080p data fast enough since USB2.0 tops out at around 35-40MB/s. I'm not sure what the transfer rate needs to be to get smooth playback.

This is just me brainstorming since I don't have media streaming experience to back up my concern. Hopefully, someone experienced in that area will chime in.

USB 2.0 is 480Mbps max. roughly 50-60 MB/s

BluRay is 40Mbps max, ripped straight from the disk.

A 1080p h.264 MKV properly compressed should be, what, 10Mbps? Maybe even half that? Someone who knows more than me should answer that, but either way, USB 2.0 should be fine

looks like i should be fine!! there was further discussion with others saying they've been playing blu rays through usb 2.0 for years with no issues

ASRock is good, no worries there, and B75 is definitely a better chipset. In addition to the USB3.0, it also has SATAIII so you can take advantage of current SSD speeds. I didn't notice the other board you listed didn't have SATAIII...or I would have suggested a different board. If you can fit that board into your budget, then I'd do it. Then you could use either USB3.0 or eSATA for the external HDD (make sure your external has USB3.0 or eSATA).

EDIT: Just saw your last post. That's good to know. I'd still suggested the B75 board if you're planning on getting a SATAIII SSD for the OS.

good call. i dont really have a budget when it comes to computers lol. so i think i will be getting that board instead. in all honesty though i think that answers any and all questions i had in regards to this. i really appreciate your help!

No problem at all. Be sure to post up pics and experiences about your new ITX streaming rig when you get it up and running.

will do. ill also post up a build of my other rig too. overclock and rocked, watercooled, node 304 in my sig. that one is my gaming baby :)

I've done a few mITX builds using the Antec ISK110: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6192/antec-isk-110-vesa-case-review-just-about-as-small-as-it-gets

It will fit a stock intel cooler, or various other low profile coolers. I've had excellent results using Scythe Kozuti coolers in them: http://www.silentpcreview.com/scythe-kozuti

Yes, eSATA is probably the way to go for a media drive.

You can fit a lot into a mITX setup these days. Recently I just helped a friend who required a tiny mITX system with an SSD for the OS and two enterprise level drives in RAID 1 for data - we ended up cramming an intel 60GB 525 mSATA and two Seagate 1TB 2.5" Constellation 2 7200rpm 64MB drives in an Antek ISK110 with an intel DH77DF board, an i3-3225, 8GB of 1.35v DDR3, and the Scythe Kozuti cooler.

Back