• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repeat the wireless internet of my neighbor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bloodsside14

Hi, my friend have a wireless internet in their house and i want to connect with them but i can't share the internet in our house without opening PC. Because i do connect to wireless of my neighbor using usb wifi adapater w/ 5dbi antenna then on my computer using virtual wifi router share the internet wireless. My question is there any gadget or device will automatically connect to the wireless of my neighbor or repeat the signal of their wifi in our house so we can connect to their wifi. :facepalm:

I try to search and found the linksys wifi founder (WUSBF54G). But i am not sure if this wifi finder will automatic connect to the wifi of my neighbor and can repeat. :shrug:

I am not sure what you are saying...are you asking up to help you figure out how to tap into your neighbors WI/FI?

if so we can't help you...that is illegal

what country are you from?

It is not illegal. It may be against the TOS.

We can help him.

stealing internet from his neighbor?

that is called theft of service

Edit: it is possible he meant that it was with his/her permission, but his English was not clear enough...that would be the only case where it is legal

I talked with him via private message. He says he is sharing it with a friend. He also says that in his first post.

Hi, my friend have a wireless internet in their house and i want to connect with them

I am not stealing internet. I don't say i wanna steal internet on my neighbor. Okay to be clear, me and my friend/neighbor decided to share the payment of internet so we can have internet with small cost. I already explain this @thideras. And i am asking for the idea what is the best way i can do to share his internet.

Actually i have a linksys router with dd-wrt firmware. Can i use that? But i think it is not v24. can i still upgrade my dd-wrt firmware to that firmware?

Or its better to spend little bit dollar for this gadget - TPLink WA730RE - range extender

Last edited:
Better to use the WRT54G with the latest DD-WRT firmware then some repeater/extender.

Even better, set up the WRT54G as a client bridge (in DD-WRT) and position it as close to your neighbour as possible. This will receive the WiFi and make it available on the wired ports. If you need WiFi in your place buy an access point (or another router running DD-WRT) and just plug it into the WRT54G using an Ethernet cable. Keep the two devices as far apart as possible and use channels that are as far apart as possible. This will eliminate the latency/bandwidth issues of using as single radio device as a repeater.

If you have relatively new networking hardware supporting dual-band 2.4 and 5 GHz, you could set the client-bridge on 2.4 GHz and use 5 GHz for your local network (or vice versa). Don't know how well DD-WRT supports that, but OpenWRT does it very easily.

why not hard wire it to your router, that insures a good solid connection...

The simple fact that a repeater is necessary suggests that the available signal might be in a rather inconvenient location, and placing all devices within ethernet range of that location may be impractical. He clearly says he wants to share the connection across his whole house.

I have a repeater in my attic, your friend will need to install one in his to give his system the range to reach your house.
I have forgotten the brand, I picked it up about two years ago and I can use a laptop all over the place.

Better to use the WRT54G with the latest DD-WRT firmware then some repeater/extender.

Even better, set up the WRT54G as a client bridge (in DD-WRT) and position it as close to your neighbour as possible. This will receive the WiFi and make it available on the wired ports. If you need WiFi in your place buy an access point (or another router running DD-WRT) and just plug it into the WRT54G using an Ethernet cable. Keep the two devices as far apart as possible and use channels that are as far apart as possible. This will eliminate the latency/bandwidth issues of using as single radio device as a repeater.

That is a good router with dual antenna but i will expense more box to buy that one. Than to reuse my old router with dd-wrt firmware. But i will monitor my linksys if it fail. I will try your suggestion.

I already setup my linksys with dd-wrt v24-sp2 and it works. But the problem is they are different SSID but same password. I try to change my password to be differ to my friend router but cannot be.

Last edited:

I actually tried using DD-WRT's repeater function with Bell's "Turbo-Hub" It (the turbo hub) supports wireless repeating, but when I set it all up, I couldn't ping to the internet, and somehow I ended up killing the Turbo-Hub's wifi chip.

We don't use it anymore (we upgraded to satellite Internet) but the wifi chip in that crappy hub cuts in and out, can't keep a stable connection to it.

I still run and love DD-WRT, but just something to think about.....
Stupid cheap Bell crap! :p

DD-WRT firmware was a best firmware ever incomes in routers. You are protected to any hack's and many uses. :)

Repeating wireless is dividing the internet connection isn't?

Even though no internet connectivity using by repeater router? It still dividing the route?

That's what my research turned up when I was setting up my repeaters.

So if you had 54Mbps, you would get 22Mbps on the other end.
If you had 54Mbps and 3 repeaters, you would have 54->22->11Mbps...

Back