• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not a request you haven't heard before.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, the motherboard and other parts definitely fit in the case you have selected. It's a good case. It has the guts of a 760T without the fancy exterior with the big window etc.

To build your PC, I highly suggest watching some of those Carey Holzman build videos. If you are puzzled by the instructions for mounting your CPU cooler, you should watch a video specific to it (Youtube search Hyper 212 installation).

Basically, get all your parts out of their packages (keep the CPU socket's plastic cover on and keep the CPU in the little plastic container it comes in for now), put the case on some sort of non scratch surface, so that the case wont scratch and the surface itself wont scratch. Install the power supply, and ground yourself to it with the wrist strap. (Or if using gloves you can skip this step.) Installing the power supply should still be one of your first steps, along with installing the motherboard's rear I/O plate (aka I/O shield).

From there, follow Carey's instructions. Install the CPU, RAM, and CPU cooler outside the case m(doing this on the box the motherboard comes in is a good practice), then lower them in and secure them, and follow along with carey as he goes through the steps. Don't forget to use Corsair's class-leading cable management system to keep as much of your cabling BEHIND the motherboard tray as possible. This improves airflow and makes your system look better. Primarily airflow though.

It's all pretty straightforward.

The most critical part that you have to be careful with in your case is adding the heatsink compound (TIM: thermal interface material) beteween the CPU and the heatsink. Carey tends to use stock coolers which skip this step, so watch a video (tek syndicate makes a good one) on proper application of TIM. I suggest you pick up a tube of MX-2 or MX-4 or NTH1 instead of using what comes with the 212. Might shave a degree and change off your temperatures.

You can go ahead and buy your parts now. They are all compatible and it will make a nice system for you.

Once everything is up and running make sure to go into the BIOS (usually by spamming DEL when you turn the computer on) and set your RAM timings and voltage manually. You don't want 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V running @ 1333Mhz and 1.65V. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it though.

I suggest you pick up a bag of black cable ties/zip ties for your build. Makes securing cables behind the motherboard tray and bundling cables together easy for a much neater look. It is likely the case and power supply will both come with zip ties but these may not be enough and for the low cost of a baggie of zip ties it is worth being prepared. Make sure your screwdriver is magnetized! Very important. Have fun!

I bow before you, Sensei. This computer's going to mean a lot to me, so credit where credit is due on how it came into existence. Neither I nor the channel I start will forget that.

And just like that, poof, I'm out of your hair. Peace, mate.

I bow before you, Sensei. This computer's going to mean a lot to me, so credit where credit is due on how it came into existence. Neither I nor the channel I start will forget that.

And just like that, poof, I'm out of your hair. Peace, mate.

Don't hesitate to get into our hair again if you are confused or unsure during your build process. If you get confused, stop, ask, wait for an answer. Don't try to MacGuiver your way through a problem. There's always a right way to do everything.

Don't hesitate to get into our hair again if you are confused or unsure during your build process. If you get confused, stop, ask, wait for an answer. Don't try to MacGuiver your way through a problem. There's always a right way to do everything.

Ah, don't worry about that. I'm putting too much into this to risk blowing it all to hell. First sign of trouble and right here is where I'll be. The dramatics I put up there are just for show. I just can't let myself leave a boring post, if I can help it, heh.

That looks like the winner there. Much appreciated once again, fellows! Will return upon finding another impasse, if any.

100_2211.JPG

Well, there she is, fellas. It's a horrible photo, because I'm no photographer and it's a ****ty borrowed camera, but there she is. Everything seems to be working in perfect order, and it's whisper quiet too. Makes the store-bought PC I have from 2011 sound like a cement mixer full of angry bees. Sidenote, Newegg was having a sale when I bought the SSD, and it made the Samsung 128gb ten bucks cheaper than the 120gb I was going to get. It's not a huge difference, I wouldn't say, but another 8 gigs and I have to spend ten fewer monies? Yes please.

My OS should be coming the the mail within the next few days, then once I've got video recording and editing down, the fun begins. I can't thank you all enough for your help. I hope I can look forward to having you as subscribers in the future, and even if I can't, I'm still indescribably grateful.

Isn't that what OEM is though? Lol!

Glad you like it! Now you won't be able to go back to noob custom!

Fix your cables, you must. Otherwise, nice job.
But yes, the space behind the motherboard tray with the rubber grommets is there to help you hide your cables and get better airflow in your case. You should use it. Otherwise you might as well have bought a 20 dollar case IMO.

I gotcha, mate. No worries. I just got excited and snapped the photo as soon as I was sure my little monster was alive and kicking, so I hadn't done the cable management yet. I am making full use of those grommets. They really help hide the unused cables from the power supply, too.

Ooooooohhhhmg I have to come back and throw around praise once again. The EVGA Nvidia card you suggested came with something called ShadowPlay. It's part of the GeForce Experience suite of software. It records gameplay, records microphone commentary, records at a baseline 60fps, and autocompresses the file size to incredibly small sizes. Something like 168mb per five minutes of footage, if I remember correctly, which I probably don't. Even if I'm wrong, I know it's still insanely low. It came out last year, and it had its downsides, but this is late 2014 and it's all good in the digital hood.

You saved me from having to buy recording software on two fronts, pretty much making the video card pay for itself and leaving me with just editing software to buy, and I can get that in high-quality for a low price.

You rule. So hard.

Back