• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build success! But uh, samsung SSD intel Rapid storage ON Or OFF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Hello!

Great day for me! :D

I would like to thank everyone in the forums who helped me out to make my very first build a working PC :D (I shall upload soon :) )

I uh hit a snag though, after so many results in Google, it left me confused weather to use Intel rapid Storage Technology on my Samsung Evo 840

But I also have 3 HDDs too.

Is RST required for the SSD and HDD or not?
What does it do exactly?? :/

Once again, thanks so much for all the help so quickly and informative on my build :D

It isn't required, but it gives a nice performance boost by using the RAM to cache for your drives.

Oh I see, but if I enable Intel RST, will it interfere with SSD performance? Specifically Samsung RAPID?

Sorry, I thought you were asking about RAPID at first! (I really should go to sleep :p )

Intel RST uses an SSD to cache for an HDD.
Since your OS is loaded onto an SSD, RST becomes a useless technology for you.

Thank you! :)

Finally, should I bother partitioning the OS on SSD?

My SSD will only have some programs and OS, I think someone adviced to partition the OS and programs too. Even in the SSD

What do you recommend? :)

Thank you! :)

Finally, should I bother partitioning the OS on SSD?

My SSD will only have some programs and OS, I think someone adviced to partition the OS and programs too. Even in the SSD

What do you recommend? :)

I don't partition mine.
I keep my OS, programs, and games on the SSD while keeping my music, movies, and documents elsewhere.

Can I enable Rapid Storage Technology only on my HDDs then? Cuz in bios only On or Off choice, and I think it's for all drives.

RAPID will already help on all drives connected to the system :thup:

You would also need a second SSD dedicated to caching for the HDDs to be able to use RST.

Intel Rapid is just a driver with cache options and software to manage these options. You can set exactly the same from hardware manager window / drives / cache options and then you need only SATA AHCI or RAID driver.
Samsung Rapid thingy is additional RAM caching and it works only on 1 Samsung SSD so it's good to enable Intel Rapid Technology for all other drives anyway.

Intel Rapid driver with enabled cache is up to 20% faster than standard msahci driver ( depends from tests ).

Back