• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate begins rolling out 8TB 'customer development' HDDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
largest Seagate drive is 5tb with WD having a 6TB drive.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6521/seagate-desktop-hdd-5tb-st5000dx000-consumer-review/index.html
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6535/western-digital-red-6tb-nas-consumer-hdd-review/index.html

so really not that far off when you consider the 8TB. i would imagine there is alot they are working on to increase density if they can only have 4 platters. wonder if we might make a trip back to 5.25in drives for really massive storage. could be interesting, 5.25in drive with 12tb of storage or more using 6 possibly 8 platters.

I just read up on that. Apparently the 6tb drives use helium to reduce friction allowing MORE platters to be installed. The 1.25tb per platter is apparently still there, they are just finding ways to put more platters down.

Platters over 500GB scare me because at that point the data density is soo high you need heavy ECC just for normal operation.

Not to mention the extreme tolerances for the heads and arms.

Moving a drive like that at all while the arm is out guarantees damage, you just don't see the damage done because of the of the ECC.

Hard drive will get very large in the next few yrs because 4k video is on the rise and the demands of a massive hard drive to store it.

Not sure if hating on Seagate...
(insert Fry here)
Or commenting on the inevitable failure of an 8TB drive.

I meant mainly that 8TB is a lot of data to lose it. When you get a drive like that then you have to consider this drive will one day fail and you lose all. If you have space in the PC/NAS then better is to use more smaller drives in RAID just because you have some copy ( and depends from RAID also can run faster ). I doubt if I decide on a drive like that but if I do then for sure I will buy at least 2 drives to set RAID1.

I can't see details of these drives but if they're designed for consumer market then expect that they're not prepared for 24/7 work. In my experience Seagate consumer grade drives are not really solid if you run them 24/7. Server series are fine but cost much more.
Latest series that I like is WDC Purple. Will see what I say in half year work in NAS.

largest Seagate drive is 5tb with WD having a 6TB drive.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6521/seagate-desktop-hdd-5tb-st5000dx000-consumer-review/index.html
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6535/western-digital-red-6tb-nas-consumer-hdd-review/index.html

so really not that far off when you consider the 8TB. i would imagine there is alot they are working on to increase density if they can only have 4 platters. wonder if we might make a trip back to 5.25in drives for really massive storage. could be interesting, 5.25in drive with 12tb of storage or more using 6 possibly 8 platters.

I doubt it. They'd probably rather back up just one step (full-height, 8 platters) rather than two steps (5.25") :)

I doubt it. They'd probably rather back up just one step (full-height, 8 platters) rather than two steps (5.25") :)

They could always go back to 3.5" half-height drives :)

Or re-create the quantum bigfoot drives with newer tech at a 5.25" 1/3 height drive :-D.

I thought modern 3.5" hard drives were considered to be 1/3 height, I could be wrong in the respect. I'm probably confusing 5.25' hard drives that were 1/3, half and full heights.

edit: I completely forgot that half height is what a floppy drive is for 3.5" or 5.25" So now i feel like an idiot lol.

Last edited:
ya 5.25 HDD could have a lot larger platters and more platters Im thinking more like 2-3tb sized platters and maybe8-10 platters so more like 16tb to 30tb maybe

I thought modern 3.5" hard drives were considered to be 1/3 height, I could be wrong in the respect. I'm probably confusing 5.25' hard drives that were 1/3, half and full heights.

edit: I completely forgot that half height is what a floppy drive is for 3.5" or 5.25" So now i feel like an idiot lol.

As usual, you are right and your critics are wrong. There were some half-height (1.5" tall) 3.5" hard disks, including this 30MB Miniscribe 8438. Skip to 00:20 to watch the excitement of the external optical Track 0 sensor in operation.

to bad there isnt a modern or semi modern drive next to this 5.25in full height beast at a wopping 20mb!!

Incredible.:eek:

I remember the first print ad that I saw for the first 1GB HDD, was $2000. This was around 1990 or so. Like OP says, haven't filled up my 1TB HDD yet, not even close.

I remember a print ad in PC Mag back in about 1984-85 for the Winchester hard drive.
All of five (5) megabytes!
$5,000.00.

I still have a Quantum Bigfoot 2GB 5.25 series Drive, don't ask me what I paid for it LOL

8GB HD, I'll have to have one, just for fun :)

Attachments

• Braking the 1 GB.jpg
    Braking the 1 GB.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 178
Back