• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are there any benefits to a NAS if you have a PC which needs to be always on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Decided on 6x3TB drives in RAID 10 and a 128GB boot drive, ordered the sas to 4xsata too

A waste of space. Unless you can prove a need for high i/o, which is pointless if you are limited to Gb lan, raid5 or 6 is a better option.

NAS vs PC

Points of failure would be less..

a NAS does not have RAM that could fail, or a expensive power supply.. Simple little box that uses very little power.. I moved from a server to a NAS..

NAS FTW

Yes it does, just like your router, printer, and phone. Just because it's soldered to the board doesn't mean it can't fail.

Not likely... There are so many points of failure its not even funny..

Plus no license for an OS..or a screen, mother board could fail.. CPU.. plus the power requirements are off the wall nuts... most people would not just use it as a NAS, and eventually break it.. A dedicated NAS ftw

A dedicated NAS still has a motherboard, RAM, some type of primary storage for the OS, and a power supply. All of which can fail. There is no "not likely" about it; every one of them has those components.

For what it is worth, there are a ton of OS's for a NAS system or file server that are free. I'm running one; two if you count the hypervisor.

Plus no license for an OS..or a screen, mother board could fail.. CPU.. plus the power requirements are off the wall nuts... most people would not just use it as a NAS, and eventually break it.. A dedicated NAS ftw

You know what a NAS is? Its a specialized computer.
There is still a CPU, RAM, power supply, SATA/RAID controller, and an operating system.

Yep, mind blown.

Chiming in late, but if you can't get a controller with a BBU, a UPS that you can monitor in one of the VMs could be used to do a clean shutdown of the entire box should the power go out. I do the same on my ESXi box, using a Cyberpower UPS via USB to a dedicated UPS monitor VM (put together by Cyberpower themselves). It will communicate with ESXi and send a shutdown command, then ESXi takes over the clean shutdown of every VM and the system itself.

Back