• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless stereo gear suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
I debated about posting either here or in Sound Systems & Audio Devices but ended up here because I'll be using any gear that I buy with my phone, primarily at the gym. Last week I got tangled up in my Nexus 4 Wired Headset, which was destroyed. Yea, I could have soldered & taped the thing back together, but I didn't really like the headset anyway, and got pleasure from throwing it in the trash.

I'm thinking maybe something like this one: Sports Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset

or, maybe a "behind the neck" set like:
Bluetooth Stereo Headset

-would be interested to hear your experiences and suggestions. ;)

What is your budget Tim. No BT headset is all that good. The respected "Wirecutter" recommends these, but they are expensive and even reviewer suggests wired.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFO14W8?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=as2

I'm not picky and I would stick with a cheaper pair. Having said that if you are in a position where you are out of battery, you can plug in the wire on these and they work like normal un powered headphones.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, thanks for the link. Yea, those are pricey- I think that I'll just either buy a cheap BT set or just buy another wired headset, and try to be more careful. :eek:

The downside to wireless, is BT itself. You are (I am assuming) starting with a compressed media, and then further compressing it via BT. Regardless of how good the audio hardware might be, the BT will really cut into the quality.

If you go for another wired set, look for one that has plugs on both ends, so as to try to avoid tangling and those "oops" moments. Since you're working out, grab a arm band holster for your phone to help further keep the wire out of your way.

ihrsetrdr, I also use my headphones when in the gym. Just a suggestion, because I have also destroyed a few sets by catching them on equipment. I just use my buds and run the wire down my back, under my shirt and keep my phone or Mp3 player, whatever I'm using, hooked my waste. A suggestion if you decide to use a wired headset again is Sennheiser ear buds, I bought a set of them a while back for less then $30.00 and they are darn good ear buds for the money.

The downside to wireless, is BT itself. You are (I am assuming) starting with a compressed media, and then further compressing it via BT. Regardless of how good the audio hardware might be, the BT will really cut into the quality.

If you go for another wired set, look for one that has plugs on both ends, so as to try to avoid tangling and those "oops" moments. Since you're working out, grab a arm band holster for your phone to help further keep the wire out of your way.

I didn't realize the audio compression issue with BT, have not used it much except to exchange files with my PCs.

I've noticed the arm band holsters that some use, will have to get the biceps looking a little better firest. ;)

ihrsetrdr, I also use my headphones when in the gym. Just a suggestion, because I have also destroyed a few sets by catching them on equipment. I just use my buds and run the wire down my back, under my shirt and keep my phone or Mp3 player, whatever I'm using, hooked my waste. A suggestion if you decide to use a wired headset again is Sennheiser ear buds, I bought a set of them a while back for less then $30.00 and they are darn good ear buds for the money.

I do(did) run the wire under my shirt but still managed to destroy the set(yes, I'm that co-ordinated!). I saw the Sennheiser ear buds on Newegg(?), I'd go with them if I end up back on "wired".

I do(did) run the wire under my shirt but still managed to destroy the set(yes, I'm that co-ordinated!). I saw the Sennheiser ear buds on Newegg(?), I'd go with them if I end up back on "wired".
LOL

Well I did a complete impulse-buy, $9.99 from Rite Aid drug store:

They work just fine, I'll just have to be more careful with the wires.

I like the idea of an arm band holster, thought of even a shoulder holster. O.K., pretty hokie, back to the arm band jobs, here's a bunch of them:

Arm band phone holster

Color: need a black, grey, dark blue or even a dark green

Material: I have it narrowed down to either neoprene or nylon

Neoprene is essentially a rubber like substance. Very durable and form fitting, but very hot when against the skin, so avoid the type that uses neoprene for the wrap around your arm.

Here's a cell phone armband I'm looking at: ebay link

I should probably go on down to Target or Walmart and see what they have, I would really like to see the thing "in-person".

Back