• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with picking a laptop and using it with smart TV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

We bought a Visio TV a few months ago,coming from a old 24 yo rear projection TV it is great. Anyway my wife want to get a laptop so it can be connected to the TV and she can surf the net and email. There is a twist to this tho... the computer HAS TO BE purple. We started looking last night ,I would like to have Win7 but most are Win8.I know nothing about 8 so it would be a learning curve for both of us.
We could use some help finding one, our budget is max 500. I have read about some with touch screen but I'm not sure how that fits in,yeah we need some help

Buy a normal window 7 laptop and buy a skin to apply over it, some of the laptop skin out there are very high quality, you will be amaze with it, you can even have custom laptop skin too, and they should not cost over $50

May I suggest that if you are going to be playing on the TV exclusively, a laptop is not your best bet. You should get yourself an HTPC in a small case.

Use a keyboard/mouse wirelessly like this
Logitech-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-K400.jpg

(incl touchpad)

Get yourself an HTPC small form factor case, an ITX board, a cheap APU or i3/Pentium CPU, 4GB of RAM, and away you go.

I highly suggest Windows 8.1. It is much better than Win 7. Just install "classic Shell" and in 4 minutes you are using what feels like Win 7 with all Win 8's advantages intact.

If you are interested in a SFF build instead of a lap top we can put together a build for you. You can get it sprayed purple or pick up a can of purple plasti-dip and do it yourself.

I would like to add that the learning curve is not nearly as bad as one might think. Week or so and you'll be right on track with windows 7.

Back