• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem accessing Windows share from Mac

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjow

I've got two Windows machines which my new Macbook is able to access via an 802.11g access point, one of them runs Vista Ultimate x32 and the other runs XP Pro SP2. I have some stuff shared (read/write) on each, on NTFS drives, not requiring authentication. No firewall is enabled on the Windows machines OR the Macbook.

I am able to access the shares on the Windows machines perfectly from each other. I am also able to access the share on the Vista machine from the Macbook.

My problem is that I'm not able to access the share on the XP machine from the Macbook.

I use the same settings to connect, entering my name as the user and no password but it doesn't work, just saying the connection failed. I have tried entering the Windows username and password with no luck, also entering just the Windows username and just the password individually. I have tried the troubleshooting here to no avail.

When I connect I type: smb://192.168.0.2, I have also tried cifs://192.168.0.2.

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't access the share on the XP machine? I can ping it just fine. I'm also able to see both in the network browser on the Macbook.

I've got two Windows machines which my new Macbook is able to access via an 802.11g access point, one of them runs Vista Ultimate x32 and the other runs XP Pro SP2. I have some stuff shared (read/write) on each, on NTFS drives, not requiring authentication. No firewall is enabled on the Windows machines OR the Macbook.

I am able to access the shares on the Windows machines perfectly from each other. I am also able to access the share on the Vista machine from the Macbook.

My problem is that I'm not able to access the share on the XP machine from the Macbook.

I use the same settings to connect, entering my name as the user and no password but it doesn't work, just saying the connection failed. I have tried entering the Windows username and password with no luck, also entering just the Windows username and just the password individually. I have tried the troubleshooting here to no avail.

When I connect I type: smb://192.168.0.2, I have also tried cifs://192.168.0.2.

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't access the share on the XP machine? I can ping it just fine. I'm also able to see both in the network browser on the Macbook.

Is samba on on the mac and the xp machine? Do you have file sharing for windows and mac OS enabled?

Have you just scanned for available systems on your network?

Can you log in as a guest? Have you tried afp://192.168.0.2?

Is the Vista machine trying to be a 'super-node' on the network? I have run into issues between PC's running Win2000, XP, & Linux trying to share files with my mac. (Funny thing was, the mac running 10.3 was the only one that worked flawlessly with all of them. ;) )

But we found the higher XP machines were trying to be 'top dog' on the network and that was causing issues. Could your Vista machine be trying something similar?

- Blackstar

Thanks for the responses.

are you using a firewall on the xp machine?

No firewall is enabled on the Windows machines OR the Macbook.

How would I check if samba is on on the XP machine? I didn't explicitly turn anything on on the Vista machine so I assumed I wouldn't need to on the XP one.

I have tried logging in as a guest to no avail, it just says connection failed. Trying afp://192.168.0.2 results in it saying the server may not exist or it is not operational.

I've no idea what a 'super node' is or how I'd check if the Vista machine is trying to be one. Also, what do you mean by scanning for available systems? Both the XP and Vista machien show up in the Macbook's network viewer thing, just can't connect to the XP one.

I've also tried using the guest account, which is enabled on the XP machine.

Last edited:
Did you check if the workgroup is the same on the XP machine?

Samba must be running on the Vista machine since you're accessing it with smb://.
I don't believe WinXP comes with samba, so you might have to install it.

Thanks for the responses.

How would I check if samba is on on the XP machine? I didn't explicitly turn anything on on the Vista machine so I assumed I wouldn't need to on the XP one.

As the Mythbusters say... "Well there's yer problem."

Unless you turn on file sharing on the XP machine, it's not going to share anything. ;) Don't assuming anything, let alone the OS from 7 years ago does everything that the latest one does.

I'd do a search for XP file sharing settings and samba installations.

- Blackstar

I looked for "XP samba" on google and didn't find anything, and XP is too short a search term for this board :(. Looking for "samba Windows" on here just confused me, this is something I'm really not familiar with so it may mean I need it spelling out...

I did turn on file sharing on the XP machine - the Vista machine can access it. Both machines are in the workgroup "MSHOME".

It's kind of embarrassing I'm meant to have a degree in computer science, it just shows how practical that knowledge is.

Samba is not the issue. 10.1 or greater reads SMB by default.

Share whatever folders that you want to have shared then follow this walkthrough. I've never had to do anything to get my wife's macbook to view my friends XP boxen.

I went through that tutorial, tried using computer name instead of IP, tried addressing the share in the address (and using %20). Unfortunately none of that worked either :(

If you can see the Vista machine from the Mac, and the Mac from the Vista machine, I would say that those network and sharing settings are fine, I would look to the settings on the XP machine.

Here's a question, have you tried just plugging the XP and the mac directly with a crossover cable, or to the same router or switch?

I'm assuming Windows file sharing is selected 'on' in the mac file sharing settings since the Vista is working.

Can you post some screen shots of your settings or what you see available in your 'Network' finder window?

- Blackstar

Here's a question, have you tried just plugging the XP and the mac directly with a crossover cable, or to the same router or switch?

I haven't tried a crossover, but they are connected to the same switch at the moment.

I'm assuming Windows file sharing is selected 'on' in the mac file sharing settings since the Vista is working.

I'll look into this, I'm not really sure so I will check

Can you post some screen shots of your settings or what you see available in your 'Network' finder window?

Yep, will do a bit later today.

Thanks for all the responses.

I haven't tried a crossover, but they are connected to the same switch at the moment.

I'll look into this, I'm not really sure so I will check

Yep, will do a bit later today.

Thanks for all the responses.

Hey, sorry you are having such a rough time. Usually mac networking is easy as pie. ;) I remember a gaming lan where we were having some networking issues (well the PC's were, heheheh) and the ONLY machine to see and connect to every computer on the network (XP, Win2000, Linux, etc) was my G4 Mac. :D

Have to keep up my reputation here. :bday:

- Blackstar

File sharing was disabled in the sharing settings. I didn't think it would need to be enabled as I'm not trying to share anything on this Macbook, only access other shares. I have enabled it but it doesn't solve the problem.

Here are two pictures of the network finder window. The first shows what happens when I connect to the Vista machine (andrew2) and the second shows the XP machine (andrew).

picture1rk8.png

picture2jg8.png

Here's the settings on the XP machine:

86460081by2.jpg

File sharing was disabled in the sharing settings. I didn't think it would need to be enabled as I'm not trying to share anything on this Macbook, only access other shares.

Well, it's worth a shot. ;) Sharing goes both ways, otherwise it would be just 'hosting'. :D Of course, if you had your firewall disabled it should not really be an issue anyway. Plus, there have been reported issues with it on and off, so I'd use the one that seems to work for you. Windows as it's own control option for sharing.

I have enabled it but it doesn't solve the problem.

Do you have 'Windows file sharing' on as well and enabled an account with your name and password?

Here are two pictures of the network finder window. The first shows what happens when I connect to the Vista machine (andrew2) and the second shows the XP machine (andrew).

picture1rk8.png

picture2jg8.png
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, Leopard. :cool: Gotta LOVE their choice for those BSOD icons! W00t!

Ok, so it can see the machine on the network. That's good. If it was not showing up at all I would look into the mac as a possible reason, but the Vista works fine AND the XP machine is visible, so I would say that's not the problem.

Here's the settings on the XP machine:

86460081by2.jpg

Ok, I see in the shared setting 'Share name: Series O', is that the volume and folder(s) you have set to be available for sharing? Did you click on any of the permission options under that? Was there a 'properties' option or wizard for configuring your XP sharing? Did you check to see if there were any problems on Apple's support site or MS's support site for Leopard & Xp file sharing? Here's a simple one, did you restart the XP machine (or the Mac, or both) after changing your network settings? Are you using static IP's on your network, or dynamic? Have you tried a different router or hub/switch?

Here is one suggestion from another forum with a similar issue:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55045415&postcount=10

If you are familiar with the procedures he describes, I'd say give it a try.

- Blackstar

I haven't tried a different switch because I don't have one, unfortunately. I am using static IPs. Both machines are restarted after any changes. I have since disabled simple file sharing (in favour of the more complex one) and enabled full control for all users. I have also disabled IPv6 on the Mac as someone elsewhere suggested.

Do you mean "windows file sharing" on the Mac? If so, I don't see an option for it, though I may not be looking in the right place (the list of services to share in the sharing part of system prefs).

I followed the guide that site showed but that didn't seem to work either...

Now I don't see either machine on the network area of Finder, but I can still connect to the Vista one by typing the IP in as smb://192.168.0.1. What could have stopped them appearing in the network part of Finder?

I haven't tried a different switch because I don't have one, unfortunately. I am using static IPs. Both machines are restarted after any changes. I have since disabled simple file sharing (in favour of the more complex one) and enabled full control for all users. I have also disabled IPv6 on the Mac as someone elsewhere suggested.

Yeah IPv6 on the Mac can be wonky and slow things down on occasion.

Do you mean "windows file sharing" on the Mac? If so, I don't see an option for it, though I may not be looking in the right place (the list of services to share in the sharing part of system prefs).

Yes.

Under the System Prefs/Sharing (under 10.4 anyway, they may have moved/changed it for 10.5) there is an option to turn on file sharing (mac) and Windows Files charing that uses SMB/CIFS. It also allows printer sharing as well.

Example:

sharing1.jpg

sharing2.jpg

Here you can select the computer name (and computer name.local) and other settings - see 'edit' button.

When you select the included checkbox option, you must select an account you wish to have available for Windows file sharing. It also opens the corresponding ports (if you have your firewall on).

I followed the guide that site showed but that didn't seem to work either...

Yeah. :(

Now I don't see either machine on the network area of Finder, but I can still connect to the Vista one by typing the IP in as smb://192.168.0.1. What could have stopped them appearing in the network part of Finder?

No idea, unless the turning off of something somewhere is now effecting it. Have you changed any settings on the router/switch? Have the permissions of the machines and the shared folders changed at all?

- Blackstar

No idea, unless the turning off of something somewhere is now effecting it. Have you changed any settings on the router/switch? Have the permissions of the machines and the shared folders changed at all?

I changed the sharing from simple to non-simple on the XP machine and set permissions to everything for everyone, but the Vista one hasn't changed at all, so I don't know why there would be a difference with that too. I haven't changed anything on the switch or access point.

The Windows file sharing option isn't there in 10.5.1 it seems.

I changed the sharing from simple to non-simple on the XP machine and set permissions to everything for everyone, but the Vista one hasn't changed at all, so I don't know why there would be a difference with that too. I haven't changed anything on the switch or access point.

The Windows file sharing option isn't there in 10.5.1 it seems.

Well doing some more poking around I found some interesting things:

"WINS functionality is now located in the Network pane of System Preferences (select your network port of choice and then click the Advanced button and you'll see a WINS tab). In Tiger/Panther, this was in the Directory Access utility. The WINS tab allows you to specify a WINS server and to choose a Windows workgroup.
If you perform an upgrade from Tiger to Leopard and your Mac is bound to an Active Directory domain, you should unbind it before upgrading and rebind it afterward. Some users report problems with Macs that have no local admin accounts after an upgrade as well as difficulties in unbinding or logging into Active Directory accounts after an upgrade.
As with Panther and Tiger, if you are binding to Active Directory or connecting to Windows servers that use a .local domain name, you will need to ensure that .local is explicitly listed as a search domain (again in the Network pane in System Preferences).
Be aware that there are a number of reports that binding to Active Directory is slower and more prone to problems in Leopard than in Tiger. Similarly, login using Active Directory accounts may also be also slower. So, you may want to test Leopard in your environment before putting it on a production machine and/or have a solid backup for any machines before you install in case of issues (but you should probably be doing that anyway)."

Also:

"File sharing: accessing Windows shares. Computers on the network that are sharing files now appear automatically in the sidebar of Finder windows. This includes SMB and AFP shares, including Windows Servers. For enterprise networks with large numbers of file servers, you choose which servers appear in the sidebar from the Finder menu's Preferences item. In addition to copying files between the Mac and the network drives, you can browse the contents of network-based files using Leopard's new Quick Look and Cover Flow features. (If needed, you can still type in a Windows server name or IP address using the Connect to Server dialog in the Go menu.)

File sharing: enabling Windows access. Turning on file sharing has been simplified. The Sharing pane of System Preferences now has a single file sharing checkbox called, well, File Sharing. This turns on AFP, SMB, and FTP access. To further specify which you want, click the Options button to reveal checkboxes for each. Here, Apple now uses the terms that the rest of the world uses: AFP (instead of Personal File Sharing) and SMB (instead of Windows Sharing"). There are also some file sharing features not seen since Mac OS 9. You can now also specify folders to share by adding them to a Shared Folders list. You can give different network users different types of access to different folder. And you can create accounts used only for file sharing (and not for logging into the Mac as a user).

SMB Packet signing. Leopard supports SMB packet signing, a Microsoft file server security technology. This enables Mac clients to use the Finder to access Windows file servers that have SMB packet signing turned on. With Tiger, Mac users could either use the command-line smbclient program in Terminal, or Thursby Software's AdMitMac or DAVE to access SMB packet signing servers. The other option for pre-Leopard Macs is for Network admins to turn off SMB packet signing on the server."

Anything on the simple guide look helpful?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1359723&tstart=0

I have a feeling there is some simple setting someplace you have or have not set that needs to be corrected. Now that the Mac is now not seeing the Vista machine, I have a feeling something was changed that should not have. :/

- Blackstar

Just a preliminary reply before I go about seeing to the contents of your post, I can now see the machines in the network browser again - I went to WINS configuration and set the workgroup to the ones they are in.

Back