• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Floppy Disks > CD-ROMs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The tapes and floppies are magnetic, so a lot could change them. The optical discs physically engraved. Sunlight can damage them though.

What about those who microwave their CDs, like me? That ruins them. :bang head

hafa said:
Floppies last about 2 months at the most in the environment here before heat and humidiity renders them entirely unusable.

Ouch.
My Dos and Win95 floppies are still fine....
I always hated that install, 13 disks and about an hour.

I agree with you about the mini card readers, and with they way you can swap out cards it's really not much different from a flppy drive. Well other than the size, speed, and convenience.

hafa said:
CDs on the other hand, last for years and years with no deterioration whatsoever. Simple care such as an appropriate case and correct handling will ameliorate the scratching problem.

Whereas keeping floppies in a case does nothing I presume :D

I've got 15 year old floppies that work btw.

RoadWarrior said:

I have loads of old floppies that don't work. You could use a cd every day 10 years and have it keep working, but a floppy can't put up with anything like that.

Floppies are apt to being corrupted because any magnetic field or particles can mess them up.

I throughly hate FDDs. Slow, low capacity, easily damaged... I dont even install them in computers I build anymore. I just put a media card reader in its place. No complaints, several thanks.

Another related technology I hate is VHS. Magnetic ink belongs in the 60s.

RoadWarrior said:

Certainly not in my environment. My floppies are kept in a floppy case but still just don't last due to heat and humidity. The longest I've been able to keep a functioning floppy here in the tropics is 3 years; the average life is < 1 year.

I'm with Oroka Sempai on this. Cassette Tapes, VHS, floppies and all other types of magnetic media are inherently inferior to optical media and belong in the dustbin of history along with hand-cranked wax cylinder victrolas and gaslights.

Back