• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this update for BF4 Mantle!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peanutbudder

I heard that mantle was released today for bf4 can someone confirm this with me? I am stuck at work and im using teamviewer to update bf4 right now. :clap::clap:

One of the systems shows a 25.8% increase in performance using a HD7970? I see we waited for dice to release mantle support and now it's Amd not releasing the driver support 14.1!! :bang head

Test case 2: Standard 64-player multiplayer
CPU: AMD FX-8350, 8 cores @ 4 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB
Settings: 1080p ULTRA 1x MSAA
Level: Siege of Shanghai
Level was tested with 64 “pseudo players” that we have for our own internal testing that simulates heavy game workload that we have in multiplayer in order to get more deterministic results compared to full real multiplayer. 64 players on the large Battlefield levels is really demanding of the CPU so this test case is primarily CPU-bound.
Result: 18.87 ms/f -> 15.08 ms/f = 25.1% faster

I am looking everywhere for AMD Catalyst 14.1 Beta drivers but they have not been released as of yet, publicly...

mantle.PNG

I have all the requirements! but no 14.1 drivers!

So, 280X/7970 isn't supported yet?

Isn't that what DICE benched on?

View attachment 138654
LOL, article says one thing in the text, the graphic says another... so now, no clue. :shrug:

As far as the drivers, isn't there a link in that article?

EDIT: From the article -
The necessary AMD Catalyst 14.1 beta drivers - to get Mantle optimisations[SIC] to work - are yet to be released publically[SIC] but are expected to be available later today.

Good god their editors are muppets... even we don't miss that much in a single sentence!! :p

7xxx cards are gcn though so they should work not sure why they wouldn't.

The only dif with the 290's gcn is better audio last i read.

Those are the only new cards with new cores and GCN2, versus the rest of the Rx line being rebrands of the original GCN cards (7xxx series). There are more differences than just the trueaudio features.

I'm sure it will come around soon...though it would have been nice to see it out all atonce

seems odd since they are making 7970 @ 25% improvements and 290x @ 50ish % improvements.

That doesn't tell you, or at least allude to the fact there are different things under the hood? I mean dramatically different results there... GCN and GCN2, right?

seems odd since they are making 7970 @ 25% improvements and 290x @ 50ish % improvements.

Different settings were tested for those - the HD7970 was played in multiplayer whereas the CF R9 290X was in single player. This makes it hard to make a comparison between the two.

I just don't understand why Dice/EA decided to rollout Mantle support without Amd released drivers to support it. I mean a lot of Amd users have been patiently awaiting Mantle since BF4 was announced to support it. It was one determining factor when I bought my 7970 and now we have to wait for Amd. I think they should have been a little more coordinated about bringing us Mantle support.

Edit: After reading the article over again I noticed that there is no mention of FPS increase but rather only frame pacing improvements which is nice.

I just don't understand why Dice/EA decided to rollout Mantle support without Amd released drivers to support it. I mean a lot of Amd users have been patiently awaiting Mantle since BF4 was announced to support it. It was one determining factor when I bought my 7970 and now we have to wait for Amd. I think they should have been a little more coordinated about bringing us Mantle support.

Edit: After reading the article over again I noticed that there is no mention of FPS increase but rather only frame pacing improvements which is nice.
The time a frame takes to come out is a direct correlation to FPS. The article, the graphic, also shows FPS. ;)

i read other reviews of mantle it seems to help most with slower cpu machines which doesnt show in the published benches from AMD... an apu with a 290x seen like 50% increase while a 290x on an i7 had like 5%
i cant find them this morning seems like the benches were pulled maybe because of the crappy driver they were using?

Back