• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats next for AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fugu

I havn't been able to keep up with AMD's latest hardware advancements or news since the Kaveri release and after seeing Mandrake talk about AM3+ being a dead socket in the future what does that leave us to look forward too?

Where is AMD headed with performance processors and when can we see them?

From what I have read they are going to put their resources into the APU's I still have my fingers crossed for an Enthusiast Cpu but from what has been said it doesn't look like that will happen any time in the near future.

From what I have read they are going to put their resources into the APU's I still have my fingers crossed for an Enthusiast Cpu but from what has been said it doesn't look like that will happen any time in the near future.

bleh. I'm scouring old articles from january and the outlook is terrible. I just don't like Intel.... AMD's branding and image is more appealing, I like the cost per performance I get with my processors and would really not like to make a switch to Intel.

from what iv seen around the only thing there really working on lately is mobile hardware and newer APU's, im kind of excited to see if here they can get to a point that a dedicated GPu isn't necessary, but i really hope there working on a new performance cpu as well, its seems most companies are starting a race for performance per watt and low power consumption as they get close to to silicone transistor size limit, but i would really hate to see them drop out of the performance cpu market

Strictly rumor, but Carrizo has been mentioned as the next APU. If runors are accurate it appears to just be a Kaveri refresh with perhaps a bit better iGPU. Nothing set in stone yet.

Sadly, AMD are ceding the market for high-performance processors for the time being. It doesn't look like there will be a Steamroller pure-CPU, though I imagine we'll still see releases on the server side.

I'm like you - long-term AMD user, but later in the year I shall probably be shifting to Intel for the first time.

I actually think AMD are being very smart about this. It unfortunately doesn't suit me as someone who wants and will pay for raw power, but it suits the larger market which wants cost-effective chips. For years, the enthusiast market has been bolstered by the size of the home PC market. If everyone has a PC in their home, why not make the modicum of effort to also produce some slightly above average enthusiast chips.

But now we have tablets everywhere and much more capable laptops, the home PC market has shrunk rapidly. Okay, not many people are doing serious work on their iPad, but MS have produced the first good "productivity" tablets (I'm typing this on a Surface 2 right now and it runs both Word and Excel fine) and a lot of home PC use was just light browsing and chat anyway.

Combined with the fact that hardware is now "good enough" for the main bulk of the market, you're not seeing people upgrading every few years, either.

AMD have usually been on the back-foot performance-wise when compared to the Intel-behemoth, but they've very often been ahead on smart market-manoeuvring. It's one of the reasons I think they're awesome as a company. Look at their purchase of ATI - it cost them a fortune that hit their profits hard, but look how it's working out for them! Both in immediate pay-off and strategically.

AMD are actually ahead of Intel strategically at the moment. Performance - no, of course not. Which is disappointing for me who'd love a high-end Steamroller chip. But AMD are now offering a complete solution in one cheap chip. It's enabled them to grab both the PS/4 and the XB1 contracts and whilst I recommend Intel for anyone wanting to build a super-high end computer, I recommend AMD for everyone else.

Seriously, anyone who isn't high-enthusiast right now should get an AMD system. You mentioned about whether we'll ever see not needing a GPU at all - for plenty of people Kaveri is actually that. You can low-end game on it which is fine for the child being given a computer by their parents and to the none-gamer, it's a decent chip with much better graphics than their normal no discrete card PC.

I think we will see AMD return to enthusiast-class chips at some point. They're not going to give up the server market so they'll always have a basis for returning to pure CPUs for the home market. But I think we'll have a long wait. There's an outside chance we'll see a Steamroller pure CPU, but I think the chances of that are low enough that I just bought an FX-8350 on the assumption we wouldn't. I'd educated guess nothing for at least the next few years.

They can't compete with Intel for the high-end and with the factors of tablets, better laptops and existing owners' hardware no longer needing upgrades, the market for home PC CPUs is increasingly only the high-end.

AMD are wisely adjusting their strategy and looking at how else they can make their money. CPUs are not the bottleneck for most now. Unless someone has a wild budget, my advice to them for gaming machines is to buy a medium CPU/APU and plough the spare cash into a better GPU, SSD. If someone isn't a gamer or wants only very casual gaming, my advice is get an APU and forego the discrete GPU altogether. In either scenario, AMD meets the use case most cost-effectively, imo.

Anyway, that was a long post. It's an odd one because it's praise for AMD's strategy from someone who is about to leave for Intel because of it. But that's my take on things.

from what iv seen around the only thing there really working on lately is mobile hardware and newer APU's, im kind of excited to see if here they can get to a point that a dedicated GPu isn't necessary, but i really hope there working on a new performance cpu as well, its seems most companies are starting a race for performance per watt and low power consumption as they get close to to silicone transistor size limit, but i would really hate to see them drop out of the performance cpu market

One good thing about this is that it might drive faster memory. With the APUs using the RAM on the motherboard rather than RAM on board a discrete card, there's a greater incentive to actually have high-end RAM. Right now, people buy it because they like bigger numbers (probably that sums up the mindset of every forum member here, am I right? ;) :thup: ), but in real world scenarios gains are way out of line with actual costs to get them. APUs change that.

Intel are shifting to DDR4. I'd like to see AMD produce some significant leaps in their memory controllers as one of their next selling points.

I'd also like to see dual-socket solutions move more into the mainstream, but that may be fantasy. Imagine two APUs doing crossfire with each other and no discrete GPU in sight. ;) :D But it would be good for me as someone who needs raw processing power. I wonder how two Kaveris would stack up cost-benefit wise against a single powerful Intel chip? It would be interesting. The world of software is still catching up with the mass availability of high core numbers. There are a lot of old libraries out there that could use some modernization. We should be seeing advancement from that for a little while to come even aside from further increases in hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Memory is helping in IGP but most APU users pick these series because of low price. Now tell someone to buy memory more expensive than APU+motherboard together. Somewhere in this price you will find that high performance RAM.
Everything 1600-2133 can be found in similar prices ( depends from store and memory series ) but these best series cost much more.

AMD is picking wrong way for all their CPU/APU products. Integrated graphics cards are still too slow to play new games without issues while their CPU units are slower than Intel. At the end you get something that looks much better on the paper than in daily usage.
I could say that APU are good if the same graphics would be in cheaper series. If you wish to save money getting cheaper 2 core APU then you can expect to get 50% slower IGP. In this case you can get Pentium CPU that offers probably higher performance, lower power usage and lower heat.

Looking at AMD plans we can expect more SoC and APU. Lower power usage but also not much higher performance. I haven't seen any news about DDR4 for AMD but looking at usual delays maybe it will be introduced in 1-2 years.

I doubt that 2 socket APUs would be any good. Even if you could add gpu performance then overall it will be still slow. Probably something like 4770K + GTX750Ti would cost not much more offering higher performance.

Last edited:
I was watching something on you tube where some one did a test on their ram at different speeds with appropriate timings and there wasn't a big difference between high speed high latency and lower speed with lower latency.

and its not often your going to find high speed low latency...

any way with DDR4 out there soon as system memory I imagine AMD will try to step it up some. it kinda feels like back in the day between the K6 and the Socket A cpus. we are at that lull where they might come out with something new that completely blows every one away. that's what it feels like but I have my doubts that it will happen

I was watching something on you tube where some one did a test on their ram at different speeds with appropriate timings and there wasn't a big difference between high speed high latency and lower speed with lower latency.

and its not often your going to find high speed low latency...

any way with DDR4 out there soon as system memory I imagine AMD will try to step it up some. it kinda feels like back in the day between the K6 and the Socket A cpus. we are at that lull where they might come out with something new that completely blows every one away. that's what it feels like but I have my doubts that it will happen

Bulldozer supposed to be the series like that and we all know what we got ;)
DDR4 won't be better as to beat DDR3 @~2400 CL9/2600 CL10 it needs to be ~3200 CL11 ... and that simply won't happen soon as DDR4 is starting from 2133 CL14 or something near. Even if we see something reasonable then I doubt that timings will be so tight as DDR3. Even most DDR3 IC right now can't run so tight and common specs are 2133 CL11-11-11/11-12-11, 2400 11-13-13 or 2600 12-13-13 while we already had 2133 CL8 or 2600 CL10.
Looking at memory manufacturers, they will go for higher density/higher latency but higher clock what not always means higher performance.
All DDR4 advantages are so far better for bigger servers than desktops/laptops. So mainly lower power, lower heat ( like DDR3 are running so hot ... ) and higher clock.

I hope that AMD finally shows something worth to buy. Also their gfx cards stopped 2 years ago and everything new are only slightly improved old series.
It simply looks like they have no idea what to do. AMD's all "new technologies" are only add-ons to already average products to raise their value but who really cares about it. Lot of noise about RAM disks or their AMD memory but barely anyone is using that.

Last edited:
Bulldozer supposed to be the series like that and we all know what we got ;)

A pre-release version of Piledriver? ;) Yeah, Bulldozer wasn't really a leap forward for performance but expectations were running out of control with it. And then sellers priced it much higher than AMD wanted them to and that just compounded the disappointment. Bulldozer was more a switching of gears than a foot on the accelerator. I know most Americans are probably used to automatics, so my metaphor may be lost here. ;) :p But sometimes you have to change gears to get a higher speed in the long-term. Architecturally, Bulldozer is a significant leap forward. AMD needed to revise their designs and sometimes you've done everything you can in terms of incremental changes and have to draw a line.

DDR3 vs. DDR4? I guess this is a question of time scales. DDR3 tops out at 2600, DDR4 starts at 2133 and tops out at 4266. Instantly see 4266 available? No, you're right. But it's switching gears and it will come. So it depends on whether you're answering the question in terms of this year or two years from now. It also depends whether you're looking at it from an enthusiast or a business decision POV, which was the essence of my post. DDR4 uses significantly less power than DDR3. That means nothing to most forum members here for their personal systems, but it's a big thing in the mobile and server markets. It's the reason AMD support DDR4 on the SoC ARM processors. Which is what you said, but I guess I'm highlighting that whilst this isn't a big boost for us right now, it's very sound market decision. AMD are doing ARM-based server chips which use 50% less power than x86 systems. That's going to be big. They've also sewn up PS4 and XB1 which, combined with the shrewd trick they've pulled with Mantle, is going to let them steal a march on competitors.

All of this is relevant because AMD are now making proper money again after paying a sum for ATI that would make George Soros weep (don't know what happened there - maybe ATI found out that AMD were really committed to the purchase strategically and held them to ransom) and it's lack of money that have hamstrung AMD these past few years. Bulldozer was botched. Great ideas, in terms of basic principles and design, actually ahead of Intel. But botched because they simply didn't have the R&D and manufacturing budget to do it the way they wanted. First it got put back ages (which didn't help with out of control expectations), then when it did come out it wasn't much of an improvement at all, in terms of performance. (I "upgraded" my 1100T to an 8350 only because I needed the AES support). Buying ATI left them no money to actually execute their plans well, however good those plans might have been.

Now they have money. They'll do well in server with their ARM processors, their GPUs are bringing in money, APUs are not enthusiast-class processors, but they're great for mass market, they're hiring back talented R&D people and will hopefully have money to refine their processes. The decoder was / is a bottleneck, holding back the design from its potential. Now they can throw some money and brains at that, for example.

It's going to be a couple of years again before AMD can challenge Intel on anything other than cost, but they've now got a solid basis and are heading in the right direction. It will be interesting to see what conversation we're having here in 2016.

If not ATI then AMD wouldn't be on the market anymore. Only gfx cards were bringing profit to that company for last years. Also all APU are popular just because of graphics cards inside, not CPUs.

I don't know how they convince bigger companies to use their new server processors but so far they are almost not counting on the server market and I doubt it will change soon no matter what they introduce.
If market was in need of ARM server chips then bigger manufacturers would already made orders for that and started to design boards/servers. I heard about them long time ago but so far I haven't seen them on the mass market.

The same on a mobile market, they are losing in generally everything. New products look good on the paper but who is actually selling or buying them ?
On the tablet/smart phone market they also lose so far as bigger sellers have their own ARMs or can get it cheaper.

So I'm not the only one who is thinking about this huh? I've been hunting around for any news pertaining to AMD releasing a new line of performance CPUs. I'm running my fx 6300 right now, but I can tell it will struggle with some future games as they get heavier and heavier. So I am on the fence right now. Whether I should go grab an fx 8350, overclock it to the sky, and sit on it for a while? Or just return my am3+ motherboard, and go the intel route? I mean intel cpu life spans are insane. People still running i7 2600k. I know of a few still running i7 980's.

In the last few months I think I am seeing a higher percentage of mass produced computers with AMD APUs than I was a year ago. While the great majority still have Intels in them I think I see a shift when looking at online and newspaper ads from BestBuy, Staples and other large etailers/retailers.

Im going to be building a APU setup for my dad this week so I'll have my first taste of what they are like.

Yes Mr T. I'm going to head over to Microcenter tomorrow or Thursday. I'm grabbing an A10 7850K and a mobo bundle. Most likely the Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-UP4. That way I can play with it a bit.

Let us know how it goes Mandrake ....... That's something I would like to hear about.

I hit up the Yonkers Microcenter quite a bit. Which one do you got to Mandrake?
I'm a half hour away from both the Yonkers and the Patterson NJ stores. I go to Patterson, less Tax and I don't have to pay the $4.75 toll for the Tappan Zee Bridge. :thup:

Will do, it's probably going to be tomorrow, I don't have a lot going on. Too bad the outside temps are so high now, it would have been nice to put it on the cold loop and see how it did. :D Here Pops, it's your new APU I just finished shoving 1.8 Volts through, He He.

I'm a half hour away from both the Yonkers and the Patterson NJ stores. I go to Patterson, less Tax and I don't have to pay the $4.75 toll for the Tappan Zee Bridge. :thup:

Will do, it's probably going to be tomorrow, I don't have a lot going on. Too bad the outside temps are so high now, it would have been nice to put it on the cold loop and see how it did. :D Here Pops, it's your new APU I just finished shoving 1.8 Volts through, He He.

Drop your coil in a cooler and fill it with ice just let the water circulate for a bit and top it up before you do your runs. I am sure it will get cold enough for you for a couple runs at least you can always top up your ice as you go along.

We won't tell your pops .........:clap::popcorn::grouphug:

Back