• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help w/mve & 2133 cl8 hypers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Figure it's good practice while waiting for the new build. Do you guys know a good primer/guide for memory overclocking? Someone mentioned a good one at XS but I can't seem to find it. Looking for a decent step-by-step so I can figure this out once and for all and stop wasting time.

Didn't try last night...installed a couple vga waterblocks instead.

There is no guide that will work on every platform with every IC. You have to figure it out yourself. Even if there is similar IC then sometimes you have overclock it in a different way. That's why when I was writing OC guide for IB then I only gave general info about main timings. Even if you switch boards with the same CPU then results can be different.

You can make general rules about main timings but not about sub timings. Almost everyone can figure out main timings but subs sometimes take a lot of time.

New platforms are working better with new memory or at least it's easier to overclock them and in most cases auto settings for most subs are working good. At the end you can have the same or even better results using Samsung IC than Elpida/PSC while you spend less time on timings and various settings.

Those are pretty nice sticks, its too bad you are having a hard time with them. I wish I could offer some advice.. Sometimes some ram just doesn't like some setups, and its a pita when it happens. I was just kidding about selling those sticks, I'm buying a new rig soon, and I already have too much ddr3. Too they wont play nice in a newer environment.. it seems :-/

Can you run them with tight timings?

My Hypers are pretty bad on any newer board. Almost the same with PSC. On Z77 were running good but on Z87 there are issues with stability above 2400. Even on CHV/990FX they're running better than on any Z77 or newer board. I mean on AMD 2500 CL7 was stable but on Z77 I had to run it at 2400+ CL8.
It doesn't mean it won't work good on newer boards so I would check these hypers on Z87. Some users have good results on hypers/bbse or psc. Personally I stick to samsungs @2600+ for benching.

Thanks man, very good to know! A bit crushing at the same time, since all I have are my old chrome hypers, some bbse, and a bunch of psc :D

Your ram list is very nice, there's some fine exploitation in that thread :attn:

I will just run them and see what happens, if there are problems I can't get past, I will be sure to refer to you're thread before making a purchase :thup:

OP, good luck!

:popcorn:

Back