• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rma replacement- happy, sad or whatever?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks!

Been kinda slowly organizing my schtuff and came across some corsair dominator 2133 sticks. 2 of 4 mysteriously died a while back so decided to send them in for rma (gotta love lifetime warranties hehe). Needless to say, the original sticks are no longer available so they're sending a different set. The specs seem similar (except tRAS is higher on the new sticks) and can't too find much info on them so the question is...

Should I be?
a) psyched
b) bummed
c) indifferent

Original sticks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233230

RMA sticks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233346

In addition to a, b or c...would also love a little of the rationale ;)

Thanks!

I would be between A and C. Biased toward A.
If you don't like them, tough nuts, sell them and buy something else :thup:

Truth be told, you'll notice absolutely no real world difference. Except now you'll have four working modules...LOL.

Thanks folks! Yeah...will likely put these up for sale as am pretty sure my 2000 hypers can run the same speeds at tighter timings (will check first to make sure, though).

Truth be told, you'll notice absolutely no real world difference. Except now you'll have four working modules...LOL.
These aren't for real world...just benching. Definitely agree...4 working sticks (with higher tRAS) are better than 2.

Guess the best part is that sticks that are still available can sell for more than older ones which aren't (unless they're extra special sticks, of course).

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure but it looks like you had hynix and you got hynix ( can check Rev on Corsair forums ). These new sticks will probably run higher but if they're single sided then will be slower.
Anyway they're pretty expensive but even if you sell them then will be hard to find anything better nowadays.

Even less difference than 2133 MHz vs. 1600 MHz, but I'd insist that Corsair pay for all future shipping if you have to return that RMA memory, whether it's defective or won't clear your CPU heatsink.

As Woomak mentioned... Your first kit could have been Hynix (depends on Ver.#)

Your replacement kit is V4.13...Yes?... So it should be Samsung. Since it is NIB... I guess you can't tell if it is DS/2Gb ic or SS/4GB ic?

Double sided Samsung ic are what they run in those nice Dominator Platinum 2400 C9 and 2666 C10 kits.

You are right, in newegg link there is samsung ( I have no idea why I said hynix even though I checked number on the Corsair forums :p -> http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=68811&highlight=ddr3+inquiry ).
Anyway hard to say how it's overclocking right now as most new samsung kits based on 4GB modules are on single sided IC that are overclocking pretty bad , something like 2400 is max for most kits that I was testing.
All double sided 4GB modules that were making 2400 CL9 or 2600/2666 CL10 are EOL for more than a year. Corsair is selling now 2400 CL11 and 2600 CL12 Dominators Platinum. That says a lot ;) ... However there is 2133 CL8 kit from Dominator and Vengeance Pro series but I think it's new Samsung that has max clock wall below 2600 even though can make tight timings at lower clocks ( I can be wrong ).

Yep...version 4.13. No idea if they're ss or ds. Have a pair of the CL8 sticks as well as a couple sticks of 2133 hypers (8-8-8-24) which is why I'm looking to drop the replacements.

Back