• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to virtualize MAC OS 9.2 on a windows machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

Yo!

For a research project me and my supervisor are using an old program he once wrote for MAC OS 9 that takes up a metric ****ton of CPU - meaning that the old powerPC's we are running it on take hours to do anything.

Assuming the program cannot be easily rewritten, is it possible to virtualize mac OS 9.2 on a windows machine? I checked online and there apparently is a way to do it under the newer OSX versions but I'd like to do it under windows.

- Sjaak

You would need something that emulates a whole PPC system - something like PearPC?

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

Limits
While the CPU emulation may be slow (1/500th or 1/15th, see above), the speed of emulated hardware is hardly impacted by the emulation; the emulated hard-drive and CDROM e.g. are very fast, especially with OS that support bus-mastering (Linux, Darwin, Mac OS X do).

A lot of unimplementated features are fatal (i.e. will abort PearPC).

Timings are very still a little bit inaccurate. Don't rely on benchmarks made in the client.

PearPC lacks a save/restore machine-state feature.

No LBA48 (but LBA). Currently no support for hard disks greater than 128 GiB. Disks > 4GiB are not tested very well.

EDIT:

Or, Sheep Shaver (http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/)

What is SheepShaver?

SheepShaver is a MacOS run-time environment for BeOS and Linux that allows you to run classic MacOS applications inside the BeOS/Linux multitasking environment. This means that both BeOS/Linux and MacOS applications can run at the same time (usually in a window on the BeOS/Linux desktop) and data can be exchanged between them. If you are using a PowerPC-based system, applications will run at native speed (i.e. with no emulation involved). There is also a built-in PowerPC emulator for non-PowerPC systems.

SheepShaver is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). However, you still need a copy of MacOS and a PowerMac ROM image to use SheepShaver. If you're planning to run SheepShaver on a PowerMac, you probably already have these two items.

Supported systems

SheepShaver runs with varying degree of functionality on the following systems:

Unix with X11 (Linux i386/x86_64/ppc, NetBSD 2.x, FreeBSD 3.x)
Mac OS X (PowerPC and Intel)
Windows NT/2000/XP
BeOS R4/R5 (PowerPC)
Some of SheepShaver's features

Runs MacOS 7.5.2 thru 9.0.4. MacOS X as a guest is not supported.
Color video display
CD quality sound output
Access to floppy disks, CD-ROMs and HFS(+) partitions on hard disks
Easy file exchange with the host OS via a "Host Directory Tree" icon on the Mac desktop
Internet and LAN networking via Ethernet
Serial drivers
SCSI Manager (old-style) emulation

i had found sheepshaver but it looked to only work on newer macs?

Back