• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Security Breach on Win Vista???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wandl

So I'm using Win Vista Premium on my Dell desktop- I post an item on Ebay....an hour later, I check my email via Outlook and Ebay sends me an email stating they suspect someone has accessed my account without my authorization to list items online, and they have taken the steps to remove the auctions....

Great...so I log on to Ebay to see what's going on and my password doesn't work. To reset the password (this is dumb) ebay wants me to type in my CURRENT password (which doesn't work) before they can reset it...

then about another 10 minutes, my Outlook Email account's password is changed, so I no longer have access to that.

I didn't have a firewall installed (my fault) checked virus and spyware and found nothing out of question.

What are my next steps? What exactly happeneD? i'm on a laptop not the desktop in question, hoping the hacker hasn't gotten to this one...
Those are the only two accounts compromised thus far, Ebay and my main email via Outlook....

How do I fix it - reformat and use Dell's recovery console to get my desktop up and running? or any software you all recommend to rid of this...issue? or did my email just change out of nowhere....

PLEASE HELP! I've turned the desktop off until further action....

no one had physical access to my computer, just my 2 year old and 1 year old, my wife was out all day today.

It is on a router, I have it wired directly to the router. It does have WEP security.

Here's the scary part, my email account on Outlook the password has changed, but I have NOT typed the password in....so for osmeone to have changed it, they would have to have guessed it (it is different from my Ebay password that was also compromised....but in that case, I did type the Ebay password in).

I haven't downloaded anything but a few MP3's and my brother downloaded a few AVI's a few days back for school (something about engineering).

is it possible to retrieve your ebay pass through email recovery? if so maybe the person got to your email first and then your ebay account. did you use your email account on someone else's computer?

Did you "log on to ebay" via a link in the email? Are you sure it was a genuine ebay message? A lot of those phishing email can look damn good, and the only way to know for sure is to note the link the actual message before you click it.

Just as Conway suggested, it was proabably a phishing attack.

Did you input your old e-bay password into the request form and send it with an e-mail?

This doesn't explain how they accessed your normal Outlook account. The latter was most proabably some sort of keylogger. If it is a normal ISP e-mail account, call them and have them reset it for you. Non-isp e-mail accounts can have this done as well, but the wait on the phone will proabably be much longer.

If it was a legit ebay message you would probably only receive it on ebay. I have not received any emails from ebay in years and I sell stuff all the time. the only emails i get from them are notification of auction ending/starting, questions from other ebay members about items and thats it. If ebay needs to contact me they send me a message on ebay.

Back