• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Absurd things people say about PC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got some more (more stupid user tales than anything else):

A "friend" (shrink who is intensely annoying) emailed something to me and two advisors at my school. The second address in her list of three bounces. She calls me up in a panic.
Me: *sigh* "I can guess what happened, but forward me the bounce anyway." (this after trying twice to explain what happened over the phone)

I get said email and instantly see the problem; she hasd gotten the three-letter domain name completely wrong. I send it back to her, with relevant parts intact and comments bolded in red (I hate HTML in emails, but nothing else seems to sink in with her anymore). Notation added at bottom "error ID: 10T"

She calls me later to ask what that means...and to ask me for the fifth time why her email bounced.

-------------

She's on Verizon DSL who are doing a lot of cabling work in the area. After listening to complaints of intermittent access for about 5 minutes, I tell her to contact Verizon and find out if her area is affected and if not to have a line check done.

Her: "Well, I don't want to call them. Isn't that [the actual line test] something you can do?"

:confused: 'Um, no, I do not have the equipment and even if I did, only a Verizon engineer is authorized to touch their installations. I could get in big trouble if I did that. You'll have to call Verizon."

Relating this to my mom later, I get: "Oh she just wants to make you feel like you know something." (wtF is that supposed to mean?!)

------------
My mom (after me telling her she would be better off with a second internal HDD for her documents in case Windows bails again): "Why do you have to open everything up? I don't want you destroying anything." (um, I think I know my way around hardware well enough to not kill anything)

Dreamstalker said:
My mom (after me telling her she would be better off with a second internal HDD for her documents in case Windows bails again): "Why do you have to open everything up? I don't want you destroying anything." (um, I think I know my way around hardware well enough to not kill anything)

next time you're working in the machine drop a smoke screen inside and run away screaming.

Dreamstalker said:

Hahah, my mom is exactly the same way. Its a little frustrating, I find. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was a struggle to get her to upgrade to XP from (gag) ME. She asks me comp-related questions, then gets mad when I try to explain things in the least-technical way I can ("You're making it too complicated!").

At times I'm tempted to buy one of those "my first computers" at a toy store to demonstrate things...

I can get 800 fps in stalingrad in medal of honor allied assault maxed out with a p4 3.8ghz, 9800 pro 128 445/740, 1gb ram. Remember FPS is just the frames the card is processing. How many frames you actually get on your screen is dependant upon your monitor's refresh rate for the current resolution, for me I run all my games at 1280x1024 and get 85hz refresh rate, so I really can't get more thant 85fps, anything over it is great but its not going to make 1 bit of difference.
'

He has an Athlon 64 3000+, and a stock 9800,,, That he wants to flash to XT, but NOT overclock, because Oveclocking could harm the card :p.

Elif Tymes said:
'

He has an Athlon 64 3000+, and a stock 9800,,, That he wants to flash to XT, but NOT overclock, because Oveclocking could harm the card :p.

But flashing to an XT would technically overclock it. My definition of overclocking is pushing it anything farther than stock (whether its 1mhz or 1ghz). Since the stock speeds of an XT are higher than that of a 9800, it would be technically overclocking the card. If he overclocks it after flashing it, its just overclocking more, do you agree?

i have a friend that says his p4 1.7 is faster than my amd 64 3200+ (in my specs)
and really beleaves it

- because it is a Dell

since that whole fps/video card discussion somehow took place in this thread, i'm going to go ahead and label you all absurd :D

nerdlogic said:
"Girls can't be good with computers. They don't game if it's not solitaire. They don't overclock. They aren't technologically savvy. Girls? Computers? Nah."

Oh yes. I get that at times. I also try to get cheated for lamer parts at computer stores, not knowing I'm teh 1337!

my gf likes to say things that are completely wrong when she knows i'm not thinking straight for her own amusement ("i thought you knew knoppix didn't work on amd"). then she laughs hysterically when i get mocked in irc for saying it.

gustav said:
But flashing to an XT would technically overclock it. My definition of overclocking is pushing it anything farther than stock (whether its 1mhz or 1ghz). Since the stock speeds of an XT are higher than that of a 9800, it would be technically overclocking the card. If he overclocks it after flashing it, its just overclocking more, do you agree?
Flashing it to a bios that runs it at a higher speed would be overclocking. It would also be more dangerous than software overclocking--you're both overclocking and flashing a bios.

Someone asked me today if a computer would run tipped on its side. You have to wonder how these people stay employed.

That's not an entirely bad question. If I remember correctly, there used to be (and still is?) one orientation you shouldn't run a HDD in, and there's no telling how the HDD is located in the case (I've seen some strange locations).

Thats sorta the point...

He's one of those people with unaboinding, infinite, completely unreasonable brilliance.

My latest from him?

He wants to run a tube from his AC to his PC Case... Then run his AC on full blast.

"Condensation? WHat condensation?"

:p.

Elif Tymes said:
Thats sorta the point...

He's one of those people with unaboinding, infinite, completely unreasonable brilliance.

My latest from him?

He wants to run a tube from his AC to his PC Case... Then run his AC on full blast.

"Condensation? WHat condensation?"

:p.

actually i was running a ghetto duct for a while to my cpu heatsink, but i took it down because it was getting in my way and i have yet to find real ducting (it's a pain to get around here). there was no condensation, but that's because i ran it only to the heatsink and the processor still never hit subambient. if i remember correctly, running it to some random part of your case = death.

Gnufsh said:
That's not an entirely bad question. If I remember correctly, there used to be (and still is?) one orientation you shouldn't run a HDD in, and there's no telling how the HDD is located in the case (I've seen some strange locations).

well i kinda agree with you but HDD can be run in a harizonal or on it's side position
(most if not all)

you see this all the time with HP, Compaq or Dell compact crap

He's just running it to the top of his case :p.

IF he ran it to his CPU/HS, I would commend him for his brilliance... But he's not :p.

Contra said:
well i kinda agree with you but HDD can be run in a harizonal or on it's side position
(most if not all)

you see this all the time with HP, Compaq or Dell compact crap
I think you're not supposed to have them upside down, but I may be wrong (or out of date).

Gnufsh said:
I think you're not supposed to have them upside down, but I may be wrong (or out of date).
I have run almost all of mine upside down at least once, often for long periods of time for some of them. They all still work fine, and a couple of them are only 210MB drives.

Back