• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seasonic Platinum 1000W or 1200W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How far beyond the rated maximum load you can go varies widely by unit.
Properly designed and built units using quality parts will shut themselves down if overloaded rather than exploding. It's not a good call to trust that the shutdown system will work though, as you can end up in a situation where the supervisor IC isn't quite triggering the shutdown, but the unit is slowly overheating. Say it shuts down at 130% rated load and you're running 129.5% for an hour. There's a real chance that even a good unit will die if subjected to that, despite having functional OCP.

Efficiency rating and quality have little to do with each other. At least one manufacturer builds one-off hand made good quality units to send to the 80plus people for testing, while the normal production units use different parts and are junk.
There are some hazardous 80+ gold and platinum units.

Again, I said the content of the posts is typically good. The clarification is necessary. But the issue I see is two-fold:
1.) Using terms like "woefully inaccurate" and "you deserve crap and failure" doesn't help anyone.
2.) The senior members all agree on certain specifications / understandings of how computers work, without providing any evidence of their own. If that is what the facts are, great, but when you provide just as much evidence as the person with the initial misunderstanding (read: none) then it doesn't help those of us learning. It all just appears as regurgitation of prior knowledge and understanding, without showing WHY the initial submission was wrong, OR why the new post is correct.

I guess for me personally, I want to learn WHY something works like it does (for instance, WHY would having extra voltage headroom be a bad thing? WHY does the operating temperature of a PSU matter and HOW does it actually affect performance / efficiency) instead of just "This is how it is. You were wrong, I am right. Deal with it."

Again, I am not complaining about the fact people are being corrected, more just pointing out that for the community at large, these corrections aren't as helpful as they could be.

All of that being said, I was obviously not aware of personal PM attacks, or anything like that. But I still feel the PM would be the place to use some of the verbage used, instead of having threads appear to be multiple long-term members attacking a noobie (which is how it appears, even if the first post was wrong).

And the reason I am saying all of this is because I left OCN for this exact same reason. Moderators and long-term members being condescending to new people. New users who may have heard the misinformation from another ill-informed user, or as a simple misunderstanding of correct information. I just don't want this community to end up the same way, because though it is smaller and less active, I have typically found it much more enjoyable. :thup:

Oh it's not new people. It's wrong people I take issue with. I don't care how long they've been part of the forum.
I correct other seniors as well as mods exactly the same way I correct people who have been registered for a week.

I disagree on crap and failure, that's exactly what Raidmax PSUs are and bring, it's technically correct information :D
Woefully inaccurate? I could say "incorrect" I suppose, or just stick with "inaccurate", but there are times when a single, PG rated, word cannot convey the sheer amount of wrongitude involved.

I submit that using those terms did help someone: Me. Using them entertained me, and entertainment is the only reason I still show up here.
The drive to help people was burnt out long ago.
The drive to protect people from the convincing idiots of the world just gets me harassed for not being nice (this latest turn of this thread is hardly the first time I've taken fire for correcting the convincing misinformed. It's not even the first time with this individual I don't think).
The drive to help the forum as a whole died a lonely death some time ago as well.

I think an important note to make is exactly what was being attacked. There was only one post that attacked a person, and that wasn't from the long term members.
The long term members were attacking the incorrect information, not the person. As it should be.

The short version of how temperature effects a PSU is still fairly complicated. It even varies by PSU. It certainly varies by section of PSU.
Often times a PSU will how lower ripple at "high" (>40°c) temperatures than at room temps.
MOSFETs meanwhile gain RDS(on) as the temperature rises, meaning that they cause a slightly higher voltage drop and retain a little bit more of the energy passing through them, resulting in a slightly higher internal temperature and a slightly higher RDS(on).

PSUs are a bit of a difficult thing to get into linked specifics on. MOSFETs for example, are not the simple devices they may appear to be. Here's a bit of information on them, from Fairchild Semiconductor: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AN/AN-9010.pdf
That's a good example, it's not even everything you need to know about MOSFETs to really dig into PSU stuff. (It's also rather more on some parts of how they work than you need to know)
Then there are similar whitepapers on capacitors (all three types used in typical PSUs), transformers, SMPS design, etc.
Nobody is going to read that even if I link it though, it's a dense and largely indigestible brick of information that few people actually need to know.
I've tried it with and without links, it's extremely rare that I ever get positive feedback from technical links. The person being corrected certainly isn't going to read something proving them wrong, not in the sort of situation you find this thread. Even if they do, they won't admit it, and sure as hell won't say so.
The other people are almost certainly going to click it, read the first paragraph, say "bloody hell, this is EE stuff" and close it. They too will fail to say "Hey thanks for the informative link". Few want to do research for themselves, that's why they're asking questions on a forum rather than spending six months studying SMPS design.
I could link to my personal PSU reviews or to other PSU reviews, but two of the three main sites I would link are already represented by their PSU reviewers in this thread! Beyond that, I'd just be linking to someone else saying something.
I could link Wikipedia, but again that's some random person saying something, not fact.
To actually link a fact you're pretty much stuck linking to science, and in SMPS stuff that science is usually at the level of that MOSFET thing I linked above or higher. Sometimes far higher.
Generally over my head too.

entertainment is the only reason I still show up here.

The drive to help people was burnt out long ago.

The drive to help the forum as a whole died a lonely death

I am relatively new here but,

Where's the love ............. :rofl:

Guys water under the bridge for me. I was dead wrong and pushing issues I clearly didn't understand. While I still defend my reasoning was sound, I was relying on assumptions instead of facts. That's why we have subject matter experts here.

I'm not "seething with rage", or anything silly here. I should have known better to check on temps in the first place instead of assuming I was correct. My only "beef" is when I admit I'm wrong, apologized for it, and people still press the issue. If that's "entertainment"...so be it.

The person being corrected certainly isn't going to read something proving them wrong, not in the sort of situation you find this thread. Even if they do, they won't admit it, and sure as hell won't say so.

Interesting. I personally ENJOY being corrected as I don't like being an ignorant *** randomly spouting useless information. I also don't rely on "hear-say" ("oh, oklahoma wolf said its good, so it must be". As true as this statement can be, I'd much rather you post a link to his actual testing of it versus a wanton statement like that... that whole "quantitative data" thing...)

And as for admitting wrong... and saying so, you apparently missed this.

1) I'll first admit I had no idea some PSU's were rated at 50c. I legitimately thought they were rated around ambient.

Didn't mean to hijack, just wanted to make sure David (and others reading) are getting the best information possible. :thup: I do apologize for the misunderstanding on my part earlier. :chair:

Tone wise, you can only correct a person's woefully inaccurate information so many times in so many threads on so many subjects before it starts to get annoying.
s.

Please share the multitudes of "woefully inaccurate information" I have provided that you have corrected please. I can count one (this one). You also weren't exactly a sweetheart last pm session if you'd like to go that route.

Honestly dude, you're reaching here. I respect your knowledge, but listening to your "holier-than-thou" banter is really tiresome. I've seen Bill O'reilly with less spin on his statements than you do...

Last edited:
Ok, for whatever reason, good or not, this thread was dug up today, its time to put the aside... to the side (LOL!), and stick to the subject at hand...helping this guy with his PSU selection. I believe there were areas of communication that most all of us could have been better at in this thread, but, let's not dwell on the back and forth.

Move on unless we are actually helping the OP.

Thanks men. :)

Last edited:
Back