• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spore!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For those that don't know it: a 'spore' is a tiny fragment of living material that mushrooms use to reproduce themselves. It may also have other biological meanings but i don't know them all.

The idea sounds really cool. Re-enacting biologic evolution :clap:

I like it just because it sounds like you could take the lavos aproach to evolution.

Gamespy has a much more extensive preview with screenshots:

SPORE!

This is at the top of my list of games to get in the near future.

Wright explained, the player would earn the ability to build The Genesis Device.
:drool:

Last edited:
OMG

'And we all thought it was cool, but wright wasn't done yet'

LMFAO

I'm going to buy the game first day it hits the stores.

Cmon people discuss! I find it hard to believe that me and Sjaak are the only ones interested in this game.

Now if it could be dome multiplayer over a network, I would bet that you could have an alien virus accidently destory some other guys whole biosphere. Whoops! Sorry dude.

David Warner said:
Now if it could be dome multiplayer over a network, I would bet that you could have an alien virus accidently destory some other guys whole biosphere. Whoops! Sorry dude.

Aw come on. Just the idea :D:D:D:D

This sounds really awesome, but 9.9 times out of 10 when something has these kind of aspirations, IF we ever do get the game in hand it turns out to be a watered-down version of what was promised. Remember how hyped up Black&White was and look at what we got. IF it does live up to expectations then I can only imagine how time consuming it would be. I'd love the game but I'd NEVER have the amount od time it'd require in order to play it.

theMonster said:
This sounds really awesome, but 9.9 times out of 10 when something has these kind of aspirations, IF we ever do get the game in hand it turns out to be a watered-down version of what was promised.

Most of the times that is true, but since Will Wright is working on it the possibility of it delivering what it promises are much greater. Wright is one of the best creative minds of our time, if he lets us down with this than I have NO hope for the rest of the gaming industry.

"Because of the compressed nature of the content, he went on, it allows for the generation of enormous content libraries. Moreover, the small content is easily portable. Players can interact with creatures, buildings, societies, planets, and star systems that other players have created."

So does this mean its online playable? Could I do something like send a star flying into someones solar system? It does say there is control on the galactic level. Or maybe it means you can just download the stuff they created and play with it by yourself.

mage_x said:
So does this mean its online playable? Could I do something like send a star flying into someones solar system?

I am not sure how they would want to allow for multiplayer, but a thing i did understood was that in the singleplayer, the game would build the galaxy around you using material from the online library, submitted by other players, by that time controlled by the CPU.

There's a new short note on at gamespy: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=477856

I think it could be multiplayer. Maybe also there will be SP where you download other gamers content and their evolution is analyzed and simulated by an AI system.

so much potential.

9mmCensor said:
so much potential.

Hell yeah.

We discovered that you can evolve your entire species underwater. If you have hyper-intelligent dolphins, they can build whole cities under the sea. Interestingly, when these creatures colonize other planets, they can build domes around their cities filled with water.

roflmao :D

Will Wright said:
As the alien world exploded into a splendid sphere of debris and a glorious ring of flaming wreckage, Wright elaborated one of the central points of his game design. "I want players to be able to do this without ruining the game for each other," he explained. You get to share content with other players, and interact with it in godlike ways, but nobody can spoil one another's fun.

Speaking of sharing content, we learned more about how people will get to interact with each other's stuff. Whenever you create something, assuming you're connected to the 'net, it'll be uploaded for the world to enjoy. But it doesn't just disappear. You'll be able to track how your creations are faring around the universe. You'll get regular "Multiverse Reports" that tell you how many people met your species and how they reacted. Is everyone killing your creatures on sight? Are they using the different buildings you've created? You'll get to see!

That clears it up :)

Back