• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zotac GTX780: No PCIe 3.0 for me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I tried Nvidia's special PCIe 3.0 patch for my Zotac GTX 780 on my
Asrock x79 Extreme4, it didn't make any difference, even though I have the
BIOS setup to put that PCIe slot into 3.0 mode.
Has anyone managed to get a SB-E into PCIe 3.0 mode on an Asrock x79 board?

IIRC Sandy Bridge doesn't support PCIe 3.0, only Ivy Bridge.

IIRC Sandy Bridge doesn't support PCIe 3.0, only Ivy Bridge.

I was under impression SB-E did though

have you tried resetting the mobo? like reset bios and pull the bat for a bit?

also in bios there should be a setting to set it to pcie-3.0 my z77 oc formula has that option.

I had a problem a while back where i could only get pcie -3.0 8x and i reset the bios and pulled battery and then when i reset everything up the x16 was working again.

Also you may want to update the bios on the board too perhaps it was a function that was released after your board was put onto market.

i remember 3.0 being announced after SB-E and Sandybridge cpu's were already on market.

GPUz says it's still in PCIe 2.0 x16 mode, even after I applied the patch and restarted.

Would getting an Ivybridge-E CPU guarantee PCIe 3.0 functionality? Or is the problem the Asrock x79 Extreme4 motherboard?
To be clear, you ran the test/put a significant load on the gpu and checked, right?

Like sf said, update the bios to the latest.

Surely though, no way in hell I would buy an ib-e just to step up to 3.0. Wasn't it you in one of your many threads that asked about scaling in pcie? If not it's been covered already and by last count the difference was 1-2%.. more less in the realm of variance between runs.

ED, I tried a second time to enable PCIe 3.0. I enabled PCIe 3.0 in the BIOS. Booted into Windoze XP and 7, ran the nvidia utility force-enable-gen3.exe, rebooted, started GPUz, ran it's stress test and still saw nothing but PCIe 2.0 indicated (PCI Express x16 v2.0). Sisoft Sandra 2011 indicated all my PCIe buses were running PCI Express x16 v2.0.
I've read of other people having success running PCIe 3.0 cards w/SB-E (even i7-3820's).
I wonder if the Nvidia PCIe 3.0 fix only works for older Nvidia GPU's?

Back