• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why did my pc just shut off when playing the sims 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

umarrehman187

well basically as you can see below, that is my rig, and it is somewhat stable. today i was playing the sims 3, i created all my characters and created my house, when i was about to play it it shut off after half an hour, why would that be?

now im on stock settings and im not playing thr game incase my pc gets damaged or something>?

The ATX win power 750, is probably not 750.. Random re-boots is a sign of a faulty PS, and or RAM. However, I would bet the PS first...

Any specs on that PS?

EDIT: I can almost guess the 3.3 and 5v Rails are extremely bloated. 3.3v @ 50AMP and 5v @ 50 AMPS, the 12v1 @ 14 AMPS and 12v2 @ 14 AMPS

Last edited:
NO name PSU = ccrap, get a decent PSU

Corsair, Antex earthwatt, Silverstone, PCPower and cooling and so on.

it could be an overheating issue as well.

as you said, your computer is somewhat stable, which really means it isnt stable at all it is either stable or it isnt.

you wont damage your computer playing the game, try it on stock.

But as Joe said, PSU is usually a power down issue.

what cooler are you using on your processor, if the stock one, it cant handle those speeds or volts.

im using the arctic 64 freezer pro, 1 min i will upload the picture and volts etc picture in one minute

I was not too far off on the numbers...

That max input power is 805 Watts...

The max output is 763.5 Watts...

There is no way that PS is 94.8% efficient.

So I take 30% off the top for exaggerated numbers.

534 Watts, peek. So about 450 real watts...

EDIT: Have a UL number on there?

so the soltuion is too keep everything at stcok volts then?

Well, no... The solution is to get a new power supply that can handle that overclock.

Corsair 650 should be perfect... Maybe even a 750 Watt for the future...

Or, yes...run it stock to prove our diagnostics... ;)

Not great but better than what you have now. Spend the money for a Corsair or comparable unit and call it a day

OCZ PSU ModXStream Pro 500W
what bout this1,
If you're not going to go CrossFire then grab the Corsair 450VX. It's a Seasonic unit and should last forever. ($60 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

If CrossFire is a possible future option I'd go for the OCZ 600SXS. That's an FSP unit and should serve you well. ($65 MIR)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

Just trying to keep long-term costs down here - and I know those are already $10-15 more than the one you linked. I'm just not all that comfortable with Sirtec, which is who makes the ModXTreme 500 ...

lol its funny everything is at stock guys, and my computer keeps loggin itself out ot the windows login screen wft! i ran an anti virus with my lastest nod32 eset smart security and it found nothing what could it be now?

Unless you've solved the power issue it could be that or just windows corruption. Have you looked in event viewer for clues?

i think it wasnt the power at all, because i ran the scan twice and it found a trojan in the windows backup fille in the windows 32 so im assuming that kept restarting the computer.......ive brought everything to overclock because, i was playing cod 2 and i was gettin 25 fps but on overclock i get avergae 60!!!!!!!

Install Malware bytes, run it and let it find anything

Install SpyBot S&D - it is useful for blocking registry entries unless you say so

Keep Eset, but why would it not of found the virus before it installed it's self unless you clicked some exe to allow it to install.

i still think your PSU is crap though :)

hahaha yeah i know its crap, its still doing the job though! my mates going to be giving me his 5870 soon as hes getting a 5970, so ill obviously have to get a new power supply...once i do ill be back for you mr.guverment hahaha

Could be several things... Probally your gpu is over heating or even your cpu, ermm and also your psu doesnt look like its a branded one soo.. get a better one with enough amps on the 12+ volt rail. Good luck buddy, oh and also make sure there is enough volts going to the cpu, you can change these settings in the bios somewhere.

hahaha yeah i know its crap, its still doing the job though! my mates going to be giving me his 5870 soon as hes getting a 5970, so ill obviously have to get a new power supply...once i do ill be back for you mr.guverment hahaha

haha, bring it on like donkey kong! :)

Back