• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

StarCraft2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know whether a real SC2 will ever come out or not, but I think the chances are high that someday there will be. All the evidence offered up so far against it becoming a reality merely shows that there probably won't be one in the near future - unless Blizzard is working on it in secret.

It's all about the $$$$. Blizzard chooses their projects based on what they think they can make the most money on.

As we speak, they are probably picking two new projects right now. Their latest big projects have pretty much reached the finish line already. WoW is done, except for a token development staff to probably make tweaks and expansion content so that they can keep that money faucet pouring as long as they can. If Ghost is on the current schedule ( :-/ ) it should be done development wise in a matter of a month or so and it'll be printing copies and making distribution up until the release date. There'll probably be a token staff left on that probably for a PC port. That leaves basically most of two development groups needing something new to work on.

They might decide that their best shot at making big money is with something new & fresh that doesn't already have a bunch of preconceptions already in the market to try to live up to.

Or, they might decide that they want to go with some virtually guaranteed money by reviving an old classic that has lots of market momentum.

My guess is that they'll decide to make one thing new and one thing old... No idea on what "new" would be, but I think "old" is probably going to be a SC2.

John G: Where did you get news that starcraft:ghost will be out in a month or so? All that I've read is that it is still unannounced?

Flashfx2 said:
John G: Where did you get news that starcraft:ghost will be out in a month or so? All that I've read is that it is still unannounced?

In my post right before that last one I said that Best Buy is taking pre-orders for a March 1st release date.

Which you can find on the Best Buy website. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but it's starting to get into that range of being close enough that it doesn't usually change by a whole lot if it does.

The being done in a month or so remark was just in regard to to the programmers being basically done. It takes time to burn & package hundreds of thousands of CD's, ship, allow time for retailers to distribute and get organized, etc...takes time. This is a console game, too...once they start burning the CD's there's no turning back. No fixes, no patches....that's it. Anymore programming is for some sort of future release.

Eh, well here's to hoping :beer:

Starcraft:ghost looks pretty damn sweet. Let's hope they follow it up with a Starcraft II

I read in PCgamer magazine that the group that left Blizzard did a lot of the voice work for the WC games. Also, if memory serves me correctly MS backed SC Ghost for so that it could have exclusive rights to it for the Xbox and that it wouldnt be ported to the PC. Now that may have changed since I read that a year ago though.

I thought ghost was never going to be ported to PC and that it was strictly for Xbox, Gamecube and PS2

El-Scotto said:
I thought ghost was never going to be ported to PC and that it was strictly for Xbox, Gamecube and PS2
I had read that it was strictly for the Xbox. Like I said in my post though, that may have changed. :bang head

I am so totally getting starcraft ghost just for the possibility that the storyline will expand on the origional storyline of starcraft. What if- when bolth teams are done that blizzard combines the teams together to produce sc2? if ghost is done in may that means we could be getting reports of blizzards next project a few months before hand. so we really have only a couple of months to wait to get some hints at what blizzards next move will be. by the way somewhere there is an online petition for sc2 I don't remember where, you guys could prob google for it.

Starcraft: Ghost is not being developed by Blizzard, they're just overseeing it. It was being devloped by Nihilistic, Blizzard thought it sucked, so told Nihilistic to **** off and gave the project to Swingin' Ape Studios, who made Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. They're going to be handling multiplatform games (console games) for Blizzard in the future. I'm willing to bet that Blizzard is already working on SC2, and SC: Ghost will segue into the opening of SC2. What else are they going to work on other than a new IP? Diablo is finished for now, WC3 just about does it for that series for the next few years, and you've got WOW now anyway, so no new WC products any time soon. That leaves SC or something totally new. Or that dwarf console game they made way back, but I highly doubt that. SC: Ghost will just drive up anticipation for SC2, especially if they give some sort of sign at the end of the game.

Back