• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I have $400 for a CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fabulouscoops

For my next computer (mostly a gamer) what is the best way to spend $400?
Should I get an A64 4000+ San Diego or an A64 X2 3800+? I will be overclocking.

I currently run Far Cry, teamspeak, Xfire, 8-10 background programs (MBM, ATItraytool, Steam, NAV, etc) and firefox with no problem. I have used Intel CPUs for 20 years and I am ready to try an AMD. Do I need a dual core to duplicate the effects of hyperthreading?
Thanks for your time.

I would get the X2 3800+ because they seem to be overclocking just as well as the SD cored A64s. The smaller cache seems to make very little difference in real world performance plus the responsiveness of a multi processor environment wins out IMO.

3800+ X2, Great O/C

This thing overclocks amazingly, in hindsight I probably should bought a 3800+ over my 4400+.

Mustanley said:
I would get the X2 3800+ because they seem to be overclocking just as well as the SD cored A64s. The smaller cache seems to make very little difference in real world performance plus the responsiveness of a multi processor environment wins out IMO.

Ditto. If you have the cash for a dual-core CPU I would buy it.

Back