• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am having my first baking session with my X-Fi XtremeMusic that no longer works, it's cooling down now with the oven door open I baked it at 385F for roughly 7 minutes. :)

EDIT - Card is trash. :(

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing this trick with everyone. I just tried this on my old Palit GTX 460 and it worked flawlessly!

The card suffered from heavy artifacting (even during BIOS boot up screen). I preheated the oven to about 380 F, placed in the card with the heatsink pieces still connected, didn't even bother to clean off the cooling paste.. I only removed the plastic parts, fan & wires. Baked for 7-8 minutes and let it sit in oven to cool off. Now it runs perfectly with no artifacts, just stress-tested it awhile ago.

Again, thank you to the person who posted this. You are my hero, sir.

Edit (6/26/14): Almost a month has passed, the card started artifacting again on boot, and windows refused to recognize the card. So I baked it again today, and once again the artifacts are gone and it's working again like normal. Let's see how long it lasts this time. What I noticed is that whenever my card artifacts, it's mainly when I'm heavily using the card (ie: playing a very graphics intensive game). It doesn't really happen when I'm just watching movies or even playing less intensive video games. So I doubt the issue is with the soldering.. the oven heat alters something else...

Last edited:
hello i have Asus GTX 680 TOP that i bought from amazon before 1 year ago.
everything was ok until i heard some strange noise while i play some games.i thought the problem was the cooling
so i bought the Acclero Xtreme 3, great cooling everything was ok until i erorr messeges (nvidia driver stop responding)
and the screen was black and it flicker and return to work .
after a week in happend every hour or 5-10 minutes.
i thought maybe the pci express slot maybe have dust
so i put out the card clean all the pc connect everything back and now what i got is awaful white artificts.
i mean all the screen is white lines. than i thought thats it card is dead...
and the worst part that i discoverd that asus dont want to RMA my card becuase the warranty void
because i put 3rd party cooler (acclero xtreme 3) and put out the stock cooler and everything.
now i saw this thread and this methood i hope it will help my card i paid a lot for it. i still wonder how great company like asus make
faulty cards at this high end cards. my reliability in asus is gone.

now i want help from you guys to make my card back alive from this baking oven method. i hope it will help.

so i disassembled the cooler and clean little tharmal plaste

this is the card now

pic
http://i61.tinypic.com/jaj1c2.jpg

i want to mention that the card is look physiclly ok and when coonected 2 green leds is on

pic

http://i60.tinypic.com/2hqvvwx.jpg

now i have samsung oven preety new (2013) his temperature limit is 250 degrees. so how much time and which temperature i need to try to get this\
card alive?

190c or 380f or gas mark 5, depending on what your oven works in (please don't use a microwave oven! Gas or electric heating oven).

Get a timer, a mobile phone will have one. Preheat the oven, then put the card on a suitable tray or something that won't be used for food. Make sure you take the heat sink and any thermal paste off first. Put it in for seven minutes. At the timer end turn the oven off and open the door to let it cool down for 10 minutes or so, then rebuild and try in the computer again.

Be warned, this is not a permanent fix! You can do it a few times but eventually the card will completely die. Saying that I got 18 months out of an 8800GTS doing this three times in total.

I just baked a GTX 570 back to life. Gave it about 7 minutes under my heat gun, then let it cool for 10 minutes or so (I was heating it up outside, with a nice breeze here it cools off quickly).

Was previously giving artifacts at the desktop after it had a few minutes to warm up, and blue screening whenever given a 3D load to process.

Now it seems to be working normally, I ran several benchmarks (Aquamark3, 3DMark2001SE, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, 3DMark06) with multiple runs on each and it showed no artifacts and no signs of instability.

Over a year later this GTX 570 is still working.

Brought another laptop back to life a couple of months back. The onboard GPU had clearly overheated, which caused it to stop working. Thermal paste was completely dried up, it didn't smear when I wiped it off with a paper towel, it cracked. So, that paste wasn't transferring much heat from the GPU core to the heat sink/heatpipe assembly.

It was on the edge of working when it came to me. Screen would come on when system was powered up, but only displayed a bunch of white lines running down the screen.

After a reflow with my heat gun it was working normally again. Had it running overnight checking it every couple of hours to see if it was still working, plus spent and extended period working with it because I found the HDD was also loaded up with viruses once I got it up and running.

Brought back another laptop yesterday afternoon.

My success rate on these is pretty decent I think. Certainly seem to be more that can be saved (at least for some period of time), than those that can't be fixed at all.

So i got an 8800gtx of ebay, and it had artifacts all over the screen, like a chessboard
Tried reflasing the bios --- still nothing
then rememberd some cases of heat fixing xbox 360's and thourght of using the oven trick on the card.

I put it in the oven for around 5 mins AND NOW IT WORKS
I seriously thourght he was joking, but i got so angry because i couldnt fix the card, i just bunged it in the oven and it worked!
Thanks for all the help!

( by the way if anyone is going to try it make sure u take all the heatsinks off first and make sure you use a PREHEATED oven set to 385F ( gass mark 6) (solder melts around 364F) )
different people left it in there for different times, most people said 6-8 mins 14 is too much

****EDIT1****
GUIDE :)
1: remove heatsink and thermal paste
2: preheat oven to 385F to 400F( NO HIGHER!) ( gas mark 6)
3: lay foil over the oven rack
4: make 4 balls of foil, about 4cm high,
5L when the oven is heated to its corrent temperature, put the graphics card on the 4 balls, one on each corner )
6: leave for around 6-10 mins, NO MORE THAN 12 OR IT WILL MELT
7: ENOJOY!!! :attn:

****EDIT 2****
THIS FIX MOSTLY DOES NOT NOT LAST FOREVER, SO DO NOT SELL THEM ON

Testimonials:

RAVANELI: but desperate to get it back I tossed it in the oven too. MIRACLE!

haste 226: i was finally able to attempt this today and im amazed! it worked. wow...if i had only known when it died...

POLARYS425: Add one more 8800GTX to the success list. I just baked it for 12-15 minutes at 385F.

ME: Stuck it in the oven for 8 mins (exactly) AND NOW IT WORKS!!!!! aaaaaa im soo hapy

DANBROKE: Sweet lord! I just did it too my cellphone that wasnt working and Walla!! It work again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! Great trick!!

might as well give it a shot. To my amazement it totally worked, card is now (apparently) all good with no video corruption or anything

zOZ: I threw it in the oven and it came out and also... now works

BADBONJI: he didn't believe me (I gave him some links of how people have done it) and now it works again, saves him from buying another gpu for a while!

WIKING: Thank you so much, this resurected my x800xl that didnt even POST

ANOTHERSMOKE: let cool new paste and wallah! been folding when not at computer for 3 weeks

PINKGOLD This is madness!! Yesturday I had an 8800gtx that wouldn't even let my comp start if it was connected! Today after 5 mins of light baking, I have a fully functioning gpu!!

Gods_oMekone: it works! booted into windows fine. going to install some games and make sure 3d works

remember to keep the card level in the oven

Hi man.. I will give a shot at this trick because i have a card with 3 years old.. It gave up on me.With the card inserted in the slot the system doesn´t POST. The system beeps as usual (short beep) all fans spin, leds everything.. but doesn´t give me image (no signal on monitor), swaping the card there are no problems whatsoever. It posts well. I have a quick question.. What is gass mark 6?? I converted 385F to celsius and its 196C and 400F is 205C.

Well, logic tells one that you can't use a microwave (you can't put metal in it without making a cool spark show and fire). So if you can't use gas or electric ovens, what can you use? Brick and wood burning only??? :p

It also shows an electric oven in post 47. ;)

I believe gas and electric are just fine. :)

Last edited:
Well, logic tells one that you can't use a microwave (you can't put metal in it without making a cool spark show and fire). So if you can't use gas or electric ovens, what can you use? Brick and wood burning only??? :p

It also shows an electric oven in post 47. ;)

I believe gas and electric are just fine. :)

Ahah.. good point =). Thanks for helping mate =). i´ll post my result when i do this trick.

"The higher melting points of the typical Pb-Free
(Sn/Ag) solders requires reflow to occur above
240°C. The recommended soldering or reflow profile
must assure a minimum time above 240°C that takes
into account equipment temperature tolerances, and
with varying product and component size and mass.
Power semiconductor components can include larger
and more massive components as well as the standard
smaller components. This makes it more difficult to
optimize the reflow process for all components on
the PCB."

Apparently electrical solder will begin to reflow at ~400-420F. How people are doing this "Trick" at lower temps makes me scratch my head.

Heat source doesn't matter, as long as you're not melting plastics (I believe the plastics used in the construction of motherboards are of a very high heat tolerance to begin with). You can use an oven (gas or electric), heat gun, whatever, as long as you are careful.

I always wanted to try this on an old laptop I am sure needed to be reballed, I still have the motherboard and enough components to try it out. I couldn't get myself to throw it away just because it was just out of warranty, gonna try it over the summer and report back. I also heard that heat pistols (the non ionized ones work too)

Wow.. It really worked for me =). Thanks for sharing =).I´ll post some pics later!

Attachments

• IMG_20160416_145123.jpg
    IMG_20160416_145123.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20160416_154118.jpg
    IMG_20160416_154118.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 328
  • PANO_20160416_151111406.jpg
    PANO_20160416_151111406.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_20160416_145731.jpg
    IMG_20160416_145731.jpg