• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advise on the i5-3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Laoag24

Greetings guys,

I need an advise from you guys who are more knowledgeable on the upcoming ivy bridge.

Which mobo+mem should I get for the upcoming ivy bridge? Please consider my budget $230 for mem+board.

I really don't know which should I get that would be best for my upcomin i5-3570k. G.skill - an 8cas 1600mhz 1.5v or an 9cas 2133mhz 1.65v or 9cas 1866mhz 1.5v.:shrug: I'll be thinking on what you guys suggest and might take it instead.

I will be doing a overclock, probably 4.2-4.6ghz.

It will be more likely that I'll go for the i5-3570k than the i7-3770k due to the lack of money ;p

Also, could you guys please approximate the % performance increase that I will gain from my old 1055T?

I appreciate your help guys.

To be honest, now might be a good time to get something like a 2500k, it overclocks like a champ without the imense heat which you'll find in the ivy bridge cpus. Talking performance they are almost the same, with one exeption being the memory controller on the ivy which is quite extreme. Is this setup for gaming?

To be honest, now might be a good time to get something like a 2500k, it overclocks like a champ without the imense heat which you'll find in the ivy bridge cpus. Talking performance they are almost the same, with one exeption being the memory controller on the ivy which is quite extreme. Is this setup for gaming?

Thanks for the advise man. But you see I just have to go with the latest ;)

Yes, this setup would be mostly used for the latest pc games at extreme HD resolutions, fast video transcode, video editing, etc. Daily use basically :D

Also, you mentioned about the memory controller on the ivy bridge which bugs me, please do recommend me a memory+motherboard that would be best for my budget as mentioned above:D

Thinking of going with this motherboard because I seen Turn & Burn's post but what memory? :shrug:

Any advise/comments are appreciated, thanks guys. :rock:

Last edited:
I agree, as far as heat goes it really depends on the overclock. If you aren't running too much voltage through the 3570K it wont be that hot, however there is a sudden shift when increasing the voltage where the slightest voltage increase will result in a massive increase in heat. This sudden "wall" might come at different voltages which vary from cpu to cpu but according to reviews you can expect a 4,5 ghz overclock from the cpu before you need different forms of cooling. (extreme cooling). At least this is true with the 3770K cpu, someone please prove me otherwise ;)

Regarding your question about perf increase, you can have a look at this comparison (3570K will be maybe 2/3% faster than the 2500k):
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=288

The i5-3570k probably only be 2 or 3% faster than the i5-2500k?:-/

I agree, as far as heat goes it really depends on the overclock. If you aren't running too much voltage through the 3570K it wont be that hot, however there is a sudden shift when increasing the voltage where the slightest voltage increase will result in a massive increase in heat. This sudden "wall" might come at different voltages which vary from cpu to cpu but according to reviews you can expect a 4,5 ghz overclock from the cpu before you need different forms of cooling. (extreme cooling). At least this is true with the 3770K cpu, someone please prove me otherwise ;)
Do you think my NH-D14 would be sufficient enough to cool my i5-3570k @ 4.2-4.6ghz?

Guys, I'll probably go with this motherboard + this memory.

NH-D14 will be fine for that CPU at those clocks.

No point in 2133Mhz ram unless you are overclocking/benchmarking. DDR3 1600 will be fine for 99% of people here.

NH-D14 will be fine for that CPU at those clocks.

No point in 2133Mhz ram unless you are overclocking/benchmarking. DDR3 1600 will be fine for 99% of people here.
Thanks for the advise but I'll probably go for the 2133mhz 9cas 1.65v to make me grin. Or no? should I go with a 1600mhz 8cas 1.5v for my setup?

I will do a mild overclock probably around 4.2-4.6ghz. Is there any overclock results with the i5-3570k yet @ stock volts? How many % increase from the previous i5-2500k? 2-3% really?

You aren't going to notice a performance difference between the 1600mhz and the 2133mhz. Benchmarking will show a very small difference, obviously, but they don't translate to anything in actual usage.

You aren't going to notice a performance difference between the 1600mhz and the 2133mhz. Benchmarking will show a very small difference, obviously, but they don't translate to anything in actual usage.

Agh,:blah::blah: I do know that. Like I said I just want to go with the 2133mhz just for the fun of it. What I am trying to say is what mem as stated above is designed best for my setup. Thanks though :)

seems like you have it all figured out already then.. why the need for advice?

Every chip will vary. Report back with your findings on how far yours goes.

The % increase is no different than the 3770k v 2600k.

Last edited:
Your stock voltage is 1.26V? Seems awfully high considering our 3770K was 1.080V. I think that board is just setting a high default Vcore, or is auto-raising it on you while you overclock.

Your stock voltage is 1.26V? Seems awfully high considering our 3770K was 1.080V. I think that board is just setting a high default Vcore, or is auto-raising it on you while you overclock.

I bought this board because I was willing to give biostar a shot and they have severely let me down. The board died on me lastnight so I ordered a Maximus V to replace it.

Imho not much to gain taking 3570k over 2500k if it/s only 2-5% gain as stated above except heat.
From my PoV all i can see is u having extreme urge to waste money.

Back