• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual 22" or one 24" Widescreen LCD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stangjason

Registered
Which is the best for gaming? Dual 22" monitors does hit high on the cool factor as far as sounding like it be cool.

I'm right now hit with the dilema of being able to get a dual 22" lcd setup for about the same price as I can one 24" and I don't know which one to go with. Any experience and suggestions about with either type of setup would be great.

Thanks,
Jason

with dual 22" monitors you'll get almost twice as much desktop space and probably twice the number of pixels. Some games support dual monitor setups so it depends on what you want to play but go for dual monitor any day, A single screen may be good but you could probably hook your computer up to a 42'' HDTV if you really wanted to. Dual screens is the way to go mate!

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing. But dual screens would be a very nice idea. You could play games and IM people, or whatever.

I agree with Yuri. Make sure you get MVA monitors.

MVA monitors would be nice but I'm not that rich right now...I'm pushing it to afford two 22" tn paneled monitors. When I bought my now stolen 22" Acer LCD two years ago it was only $189 but now I'm luck to find one for under $250 and $500 is a bit over my budget.

I could probably save some money by buying from NewEgg but I'm not into gambling with dead pixels.

I run duals and I think I'd stick with one 24".

If you ever watch Netflix instant, DVDs, etc. it's worlds better. Plus it's a cleaner setup, simpler etc.

I don't know if all games are like this but CS:S, Hitman, UT3 and others are -- you still have to alt-tab to do other things. Stuff can be on the screen, so you can read, but if you need to do any mouse or keyboard activity the game has to be minimized first.

I was kind of disappointed when I found that out.

Another REALLY important thing to consider is:

If you go with two 22s you are stuck with two smallish monitors. If you buy 1 24" you can always add a second monitor later.

To be honest sometimes I just wish I had a 34 or 36" LCD, something around that and I could just be done with it.

I dunno, I find that very few games that I play/want to play support dual vid cards. And I haven't found a way to play a game on one monitor and surf the net on the other, or anything like that. And games act screwy when you have a dual monitor setup too. You know how you jump from monitor to monitor by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen? Well that totally screws up the functionality of the games I play. So I have to disable the other desktop each time I play a game, which is a pain, because then all of my icons/stuff on that monitor is forced onto my primary.

What other games besides supreme commander support dual monitors?

Really, it depends on what your focus is. Dual monitors is great for office type stuff, surfing the net, multitasking. But for gaming, 1 monitor IMO is the way to go.

Dual 22" over one 24" in a second.

Being able to watch TV / watch a movie at all times when doing anything on my PC owns.

Or I run a financial / stock feed on one screen.

Or I can play 16 tables on pokerstars simultaneously.

Or I game on one screen while watching sports, etc.

The vast possibilites make 1 monitor look like a joke to me. I'll never go back to 1 screen.

If you do decide to get 2 monitors, get a TV tuner card too, and hook up your PC to your cable / digital cable / satelite feed - Instant free Tivo ;)

Ask yourself : are you going to fully utilize both?

Last edited:
Or I can play 16 tables on pokerstars simultaneously.

You play too?
Haha just took this for fun. :)

34tables.jpg

Yes I did forget about multitasking + video.

If you don't have a TV in your room, or are trying to get rid of it, dual monitors make a VERY nice replacement.

Well I have two computers plus my laptop but I really just wanted two 22" lcds for playing COD4 or a comparable game but I think now I'm going to go with a 24" and maybe add another 24" down the road if I find myself wanting more. Right now I'm really hoping to find a Soyo 24" on clearance this weekend but I have to go out of town but luckily it's on my way.

MVA monitors would be nice but I'm not that rich right now...I'm pushing it to afford two 22" tn paneled monitors. When I bought my now stolen 22" Acer LCD two years ago it was only $189 but now I'm luck to find one for under $250 and $500 is a bit over my budget.

I could probably save some money by buying from NewEgg but I'm not into gambling with dead pixels.

That should teach you not to buy light weight LCDs.

Get a 120Ibs 24" Trinitron. It won't be stolen ... as easy. :beer:

I run duals and I think I'd stick with one 24".

If you ever watch Netflix instant, DVDs, etc. it's worlds better. Plus it's a cleaner setup, simpler etc.

I don't know if all games are like this but CS:S, Hitman, UT3 and others are -- you still have to alt-tab to do other things. Stuff can be on the screen, so you can read, but if you need to do any mouse or keyboard activity the game has to be minimized first.

I was kind of disappointed when I found that out.

Another REALLY important thing to consider is:

If you go with two 22s you are stuck with two smallish monitors. If you buy 1 24" you can always add a second monitor later.

To be honest sometimes I just wish I had a 34 or 36" LCD, something around that and I could just be done with it.

Well, when you have 22", you want 24". When you have 24", you want 28". When you have 28", you want 34 or 36", when you have them, you want...more...

We are all the same. :p

Back