• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mac 64 bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cooper58d

Alright not that I'm going out to get one but are the Apple computers already 64 bit and have been for some time?

Ya me to What I don't understand is how those things can be light years ahead of the Windows based Pc's when the Windows based has more of a market Wow

I always thought of apple as west coast and windows as east coast. Apple are neat machines no matter how you put it, and most of them are quality, but Windows has much more software available. Also you can not customize apples and build them by yourselfs, for windows or linux you can. they each have their advantages, lets not go dissing one now!

There have been 64-bit processors around for a long time. Remember the Alpha? Sparc? MIPS? PA-RISC? Itanium? Apple brought out the IBM's Power4-derived PPC-970 (aka G5) just after amd released the Opteron. Despite apple's claims, it odesn't quite beat high-end PCs overall, but it is a fairly good step overall. I'd be interested to see a power5 based version wth SMT. So the hardware isn't really ahead of PCs, after all there are 64-bit PCs, and there have been 64-bit workstations for a long time. Also, don't forget that simply being 64-bit doesn't buy you any extra performance unless you need to address more ram, or you need to use 64-bit ints.

As for the OS being 64-bit and functional far before windows, that is mainly a driver issue. Apple controls the hardware, they don't have as many drivers to write, and they have the resiurces to write them. OSX is mostly based off of BSD (although there are many chnges in how it works), which has been a good OS for a long time now. I don't really like what apple has done to it, however. And their UI really annoys me. What was my point again?

My g5 is pretty sweet, since it is almost silent..but other than that, i don't really see much of difference between pc and mac..I read many reviews and benchmarks about the comparsion between mac g5 againsts highend pc...Mac won some, pc won some, it all depends on what you do with your machine. The biggeEEEsSst issue i have with mac is that i simply cannot gut it and replace everythin' in there:)

Last edited:
I can defenitly see an advantage in using a Mac for more of a creative side of the house like the arts however i do see how the market for innovations is more toward the pc base. It would be interesting to see the how the whole 64 bit thing plays off in the PC arrena as I think it will help the base for a whole central media center. an all in wonder if you will.

are mac as fast as PC? if it is, then it would probably cost more to get a mac than to get a PC.

The G5's retail for around $3,000 us. so that's not very cheap. Personally I like my PC and it's versitility and upgradability so I would shell out 3 g's when I can do the same for a quarter of that price

warlock110 said:
are mac as fast as PC? if it is, then it would probably cost more to get a mac than to get a PC.

No, they get 0wned badly by single CPU systems, the FX 51 and 3.2 EE give the DUAL G5 a trouncing.

OSX isn't a 64-bit OS by the way. So even though Apple will sell you a 64-bit processor, you can't really use it much. They've got a few specific 64-bit math libs in the latest version of OSX as I understand it, but thats about it.

Who makes the G5 cpus? I heard they droped their previous carier and picked up intel. but that was months ago that i heard that.

The previous two statements pretty well sum it up:

No, they get 0wned badly by single CPU systems, the FX 51 and 3.2 EE give the DUAL G5 a trouncing.

OSX isn't a 64-bit OS by the way. So even though Apple will sell you a 64-bit processor, you can't really use it much. They've got a few specific 64-bit math libs in the latest version of OSX as I understand it, but thats about it.

Who makes the G5 cpus? I heard they droped their previous carier and picked up intel. but that was months ago that i heard that.

The G5 is also known as the PPC-970, a PowerPC-based chip made by IBM. It is a cut-down, single core Power4 with multimedia instructions added, and made with thinner gate-oxides to achive higher speeds, but at slightly lower reliability than the Power4. Previous Apple CPUs were made by Motorola (68000 series and PPC up through G4)

MaximumPC did a review of the G5 against the P4EE and an Athlon64 machine. In Mac optimized software the Mac did "OK" but never really blew the two PC's out, so to speak. Unfortunalty for the Dual G5 the same can not be said...the Dual G5 was simply humiliated when it came to gaming and some PC app's, I believe one loss under gaming benchies was above 300% ....I think I will stick with a PC myself...Thank you very much!

Apple Shall Rise Again! :)

Honestly, I stick with a PC mainly because I can build my own. This is a big deal for me...because, well...I'm a geek.

Though I do have to admit: I consider the G5 to be the leader among 'desktop supercomputers' simply because it is ahead of its time, even if the hardware replacements are limited.

the mac is "ahead of its time" because it IS 3 G's a pop. sure, its cool. sure its powerful. sure, its expensive. it just happens to be the perfect platform for teh launch of 64 bit because its a MAC, and therefore it cant be changed. no need for 10,000,000,000 drivers to be re-written, you write the OS to use that peicular hardware, and when you get more hardware you get a new OS, written for it.

thats why its ahead of its time, thats why its 64 bit, and thats why it would break most bank accounts.

price vs performance vs upgradability = PC rule supreme.

MAC has no say in that market.

but MAC does have its niche - somewhere and the G5 is a GREAT step for MAC users from previous G4 and below systems

G5 and OSX has made the MAC / Apple community much happier and it is good to see fast hardware on their side as they have often be plagued with slow older video cards and such in their systems until now.

Back