• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air VS Water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leedbrierley

Registered
For a while I have wanted to play with a water system, but I am wondering if the investment is really worth the cost.

My PC is a specs are below

Intel Core i7 2700K UNLOCKED
GByte GA-Z68AP-D3
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600
Western Digital 320GB
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2

I am wondering if it is upgrading the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2 to a Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H60.

Will I see a massive difference, as it stands I have never gotten my PC running over 60C

All advice is welcome, as I am really stuck, as I would like to have a better cooler, but I dont know where to start, and having a water cooled one seems like the best way to go for the time being, I have never played with a water system before, so I thought this might be the best place to start.

If you want to get into watercooling, I would suggest building your own system instead of buying a pre-built one. If you go with the AIO units, they are effectively just an air cooled heatsinks that uses water instead. You won't get the hands on experience like with a true watercooling system. Whether you go this route depends on what you want out of the system. Silence and performance are the two main reasons. If you are going to leave it stock, then it doesn't really matter what you cool it with. If you are aiming for a high overclock, water cooling will be the superior option, as long as you don't get those AIO units. ;)

Before you make any purchases, I would highly suggest reading the stickies in this forum. They are packed full of very good information. We also have some very knowledgeable members here that will pretty much answer any question you have -- just make sure to check the stickies first!

I've also moved this thread to the water cooling section, as that is more appropriate.

The H60 is beat by quality air coolers. The H60 can be bought for a song now, and for good reason.

The Corsair H100 is the only one that can come close to decent watercooling, and that's due to the 120x2 radiator area. All others are 120x1, not enough raddage.

Depends on your needs basically, your budget, and your need to tinker with stuff.

To be honest, I have a very limited budget, and want something better then I have at the moment. I used to work in as an IT techie, but the one thing I have never played with, only seen in very few instances is water cooling in a PC.

To be honest, I thought about a closed looped system for the time being, as I have no-one to advice me or nothing in person.

Also the reason I thought of this is because I have a very limited budget of £50, hence why I was looking at this one!

Anything closed loop like the h60 s really not that great I got the h60 thinking it would be better then the 212 evo. My cpu runs a little hotter(+2c) at idle and only -1c fully loaded. I should have listen to what I was told. I can't tell you much about the h100. But I can tell you the swiftech loop I have now it what I was expecting from the start. Granted it is a bit more nerve racking worrying about it leaking but I ran it by it's self for 6 hours no leaks. Much and I mean much happier. If air is what you want 212 is the best price per value. At least I think so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 <----212 evo link

If you really do want to get into water cooling and you've said your temps don't climb past 60, I would advise saving up for a custom loop and doing plenty of research in the time being. It doesn't seem to me like you *need* to upgrade at this point in time, unless you're planning on overclocking and need better cooling.

The Noctua NH-D14 is a good air cooler if you have the space for it.

I can tell you that the h100 is only a heart breaker, the fans than come with it will die in a week or two, and the controler is about as reliable as a yugo.
I just junked my h100 that failed completely after 60 days and had to replace the fans twice so i have reverted to my old h60.
the 212 evo and the noctua are both as good as and more reliable than the h100.
the h60 run push me/ pull you is also as good as an h100, and no controler to fail on you.
I have just ordered a thermaltake big water 760 plus to play with but i dont expect it to be any better than the h100.

caddi.....

PLEASE SEND THE TT thing back. It's worse than anything else in the whole world and we will all yell that loudly.

"Friends don't let friends drive Thermaltake"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

caddi.....

PLEASE SEND THE TT thing back. It's worse than anything else in the whole world and we will all yell that loudly.

"Friends don't let friends drive Thermaltake"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I second the motion on this. When I started overclocking, I bought one of these crappy units. Never again. Return it as soon as you get it, please.

Even the RASA kits are kick *** and very easy on the bill fold.

I can tell you that the h100 is only a heart breaker, the fans than come with it will die in a week or two, and the controler is about as reliable as a yugo.
I just junked my h100 that failed completely after 60 days and had to replace the fans twice so i have reverted to my old h60.
the 212 evo and the noctua are both as good as and more reliable than the h100.
the h60 run push me/ pull you is also as good as an h100, and no controler to fail on you.
I have just ordered a thermaltake big water 760 plus to play with but i dont expect it to be any better than the h100.

Yup, my H100 died too so I went to a Noctua NH-D14. Much quieter than the H100 and temps are only marginally higher..... I'm never going back to a closed loop again after that. Yup, I'm RMA'ing the H100, and once replaced I'll give it to a mate :(

Turned my rig on and got a burning smell on start-up, though the computer booted fine. I then realized it was just too quiet. Took a look and found that the pump wasn't working and nor were the fans spinning up. turned it of as fast as I could, tested with it off the system, yup, completely dead. :rain:

I've never heard anything positive about a ThermalTake all in one liquid cooler. I'd stay away from them personally. The only cooler they have worth considering is the Contac 30. Performs about the same as a Hyper 212 and the price is the same. Buy one or the other if you need a budget cooler basically. :shrug:

Last edited:
Back