• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i take advantage of this deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

a guy that i know at work had his old p3 800mhz get struck by lightning a few weeks ago, and its totally fried, so he's ordered a dell (don't know the specs), but its a full system, monitor and all. he wants to sell me his 21 inch gateway monitor for $120. i know that $120 is a great deal for such a monstrous monitor but i can't decide if i want to get it or not.

here's the thing. i'm used to my 17 inch with flatscreen, and this is 21 inch with a bubble screen. it also says gateway on it, i'm just anal about stuff like that. i actually haven't seen it, but he says its in mint condition. so i'm going to take my computer over to his house and plug it in to see what it looks like on wednesday, so i guess i can make a more logical decision then.

i'd like to hear some input from you guys...is 21" for $120 really that great of a deal? any of you with 21 inchers that have any bad things to tell me about?

etc.

jeff

$120 for 21" monitor !!? Get it after you've plugged it in to a good computer and checked out resolution/refresh rates.

Then either sell it for way more than you paid or slap an O/C badge over the brand name.

yeah, i think i'm going to, especially since i get paid today. i looked on newegg and couldn't find a 21" for less than $500! man, i feel like i'm ripping my boy off here...

he suggested the price tho, so i'm not going to complain.

my main motivation for getting a new monitor (i have not been searching for one at all) is that my dad's old 17" stopped working and now he's stuck on the second of 2 15" inchers we had laying around (first one died after a week or so of use :eek: ). so i'll upgrade to 21" (assuming it is up to my standards :D) and give him my trusty old 17" flatscreen...i love that monitor though, i don't know if i can do it.

assuming i have enough money left over after i buy the ti-89 i need for school (ti-83 died after 4 years of faithful service), and some left for spending, i'll probably jump on this.

jeff

i'd rather it said walmart on it...lol

i think some gateways have a 1/8th inch thick plastic badge on it. if that one does, remove it, and put something cool on it . if it's molded right in the case of the monitor, grind it slowly, or carefully sand it off. either way, i would grab it.

i would melt it smooth with a hot knife if i had to. then cover it with athlon crap, and some overclockers something or other.

my birthday is next month, and it would make a great gift for me. he he he:burn: :burn: :burn:

The price is right...
and if you dont like gateway.....
open it up and see who makes the tube... and once you know if it is a good brand inside, that should make you fell a little better

ARHGGGGGGGGGG!!!

i KNEW it..take my pc over to his house, and there's a crappy old 17 inch setting there. i was like, 'hey jason, that's 17 inches, not 21' and he was like 'whaaaaaaat? my dad said it was 21...oh well, i'll knock $20 off. so, $100 and its yours.' to myself i'm thinking...ummm no, like i'm gonna waste $100 on a 3 or more year old dirty, smudged up 17' gateway bubble screen, not even to give to my dad. i'm sure i can go to a computer show or used computer parts store and get a used one for way less than that.

i told him i'd think about it because i didn't want to tell him no to his face, but there's no way i'm getting that.

later

jeff

Well thats sucks, I got a brand new 19 incher from someplace for 120, made by hyundai, a great screen, .21 dot pitch. My video card wont regocnize it for is rez, 1600 x something, but my vid. card says its only 1024 x 768. And if anyone has a fix for this tell me, I have a ALLinWonder RAdeon.

Pcmod said:
Well thats sucks, I got a brand new 19 incher from someplace for 120, made by hyundai, a great screen, .21 dot pitch. My video card wont regocnize it for is rez, 1600 x something, but my vid. card says its only 1024 x 768. And if anyone has a fix for this tell me, I have a ALLinWonder RAdeon.

See if you can find out who manufactured the monitor (not just the tube, but the whole thing). If your lucky, they may have a .inf file for Windoze on thier website that will allow the os to know what resolutions/freqs its capable of. At the least you sould find some tech info on the monitor that will tell you the resolutions/freqs supported. Then you can use something like PowerStrip to force any of the supported resolutions/freqs your card and monitor support.

Back