• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powerstream 600W or Power & Cooling 510W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
greenman100 said:
you do know that there are some of those 'imprecise' pots in the fortrons you recommend, right
Pots are pots, all manufacturers use them. But once they are set, they are set, and it's best not to disturb them if you can avoid it.

I'm with Larva on this one. Yes, the PCP&C have pots, but these are really just for calibration if the unit was received with slightly off voltages. That is why the adjustments are on the side and back of the PSU, so that they are not easy to get to. They're not meant to be an everyday tool for beefin up power.

Glad to see you're going with the PCP&C.

Of the two units i've owned from PCP&C there was no adjustments needed from factory. Both mine were overvolted just a tad which is the way i like it. Both my OCZ units came just under spec so i adjusted them and haven't touched it since.

Sucka said:
You realize that the PCP&C has adjustable rails too right?

^_^ So true.

Come over and join us in the DARK side. When I was considering a PCP&C almost
everyone said to get the 510w even though I didn't need near that wattage.
Well, I chose the 425w and have not regretted it at all. When I upgraded to the
6800 video card was afraid the +12v rail might not be up to the task, but it still
remains at about 12.04v (DMM=yes) under max load - no pot adjustments required.
Not that it would have helped much anyway. ;)

I know some people do not follow Toms site, but they have been running Stress Tests on several upscale PSU including the OCZ 600W. This is what happened with it
The power ratings for the OCZ can be safely ignored by the user because it does not even approach the promised maximum value. During our live stress test, the unit simply turned off at 588 watts power output. How it's supposed to achieve 700 watts (peak mode) even for a short period of time will remain the manufacturer's secret. Under these circumstances, it does not make much sense to publish the individual voltages on the leads or on the range of fluctuation. For a lavish price of over $250, the device is clearly too expensive.

I was very dissapointed with OCZ !!!!!!!!!!!!
You can follow and read more at this link [just to be more informed]
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/200507111/index.html

There is no denying the PC P&C is one of the best units out there, but is it worth 100 dolalrs more for a couple of amps on the 12v rail? The sleeving is exactly the same as that used on the OCZ 520 I have so that's nothing extra. The finish? Paint is cheap, much less expensive than the titanium finish on the OCZ, so the extra 100 dollars isn't coming from there? Is it the stability? Well, I know I'm running a Prescott based system, and I know of nothing that will put a hurting on a PSU more than that, and my rails are rock solid stable. So much so, that OC's went up, droop went down, bench scores improved dramitically.

I'm still not seeing the 100 dollar difference in price. Could it be the name on it costs 100 dollars more? I'm positive of it. They are great units, but they just are not worth the premium price trhey are getting for them. Heck, I would've bought one, but they're going to have to come off of that price. I tend to spend alot on hardware, and get high quality stuff, but I won't line the pockets of a company for a name. If they truly offer something superior that is worth the added costs I'm all over it. I just do not see the 100 dollar difference in price between an OCZ and a PC P&C. In fact, I think it would be just the opposite if there were a difference.

There are more expensive options on the OCZ. The double sleeved shielded lines for the video and HDD's, the finish, the LED's and external pots, the LED fan. All of that should make the OCZ cost more, and as many have said that have run these things, that 520 is as rock solid of a unit as you can get. It will run on anything and not droop. It does stand up to it's specs and then some. I know, becasue i have tested the thing with a multimeter. have put it through stuff that's just silly, and it doesn't even get warm.

If you want bragging rights for the more expensive unit, then the 100 dollars may come into play, but you're not getting 100 more dollars in perfformance with that PC P&C.

mata2974 said:
I know some people do not follow Toms site, but they have been running Stress Tests on several upscale PSU including the OCZ 600W. This is what happened with it

That is not a single rail 520. That is a split rail 600, and the each rail is low amperage. Of course it's not suited for some applications. If you match it to a system that has high 12+ demands of course it's not suitable. I bet if he would've done that same tests with the 520 things would'v been very different. Many of the things Tom's hardware puts out on the Internet are VERY misleading. His tests rigs are some of the most high tech there is available, but the way he imnplements some of these tests is not exactly kosher IMO.

mata2974 said:

I have to admit I was expecting this unit to hand in some less than spectacular results on a good test rig considering some of the stories I have heard about it, however Tom's doesn't seem to be forthcoming with how much it was loaded down on each rail when it powered down. I'd really like to see Xbit test it now.

I would also welcome an Xbit labs test of the 600, it's really difficult to know the real story until they test something, especially power supplies.

I do think it is clear from the experiences of the users on this board that the OCZ 600 is not that great of a supply. Whether it is because it is a dual-rail unit or because it is just mediocre remains to be established. One thing is crystal-clear, though, the OCZ PS520 drives heavier loads. And the Sparkle FSP550-60PLG and PCP&C 510 drive really heavy loads. So far the results being generated with the Seasonic S12-600 look very promising, leaving promise for dual-rail units that the OCZ 600 appeared to eliminate.

3DFlyer said:
There is no denying the PC P&C is one of the best units out there, but is it worth 100 dolalrs more for a couple of amps on the 12v rail? The sleeving is exactly the same as that used on the OCZ 520 I have so that's nothing extra. The finish? Paint is cheap, much less expensive than the titanium finish on the OCZ, so the extra 100 dollars isn't coming from there? Is it the stability? Well, I know I'm running a Prescott based system, and I know of nothing that will put a hurting on a PSU more than that, and my rails are rock solid stable. So much so, that OC's went up, droop went down, bench scores improved dramitically.

I'm still not seeing the 100 dollar difference in price. Could it be the name on it costs 100 dollars more? I'm positive of it. They are great units, but they just are not worth the premium price trhey are getting for them. Heck, I would've bought one, but they're going to have to come off of that price. I tend to spend alot on hardware, and get high quality stuff, but I won't line the pockets of a company for a name. If they truly offer something superior that is worth the added costs I'm all over it. I just do not see the 100 dollar difference in price between an OCZ and a PC P&C. In fact, I think it would be just the opposite if there were a difference.

There are more expensive options on the OCZ. The double sleeved shielded lines for the video and HDD's, the finish, the LED's and external pots, the LED fan. All of that should make the OCZ cost more, and as many have said that have run these things, that 520 is as rock solid of a unit as you can get. It will run on anything and not droop. It does stand up to it's specs and then some. I know, becasue i have tested the thing with a multimeter. have put it through stuff that's just silly, and it doesn't even get warm.

If you want bragging rights for the more expensive unit, then the 100 dollars may come into play, but you're not getting 100 more dollars in perfformance with that PC P&C.

Look at the size of an OCZ compared to the compact size of the PCP&C, PCP&C are not meant to look pretty, they are meant to be the best PSU hands down, and they are. There is no PSU that is as reliable either. I was using an OCZ 420 and it was weak, could not maintain STABLE rails on this rig no matter where I had the pots. I then swapped out my Antec TP430 with the OCZ in my S478 system and again, could not maintain stable rails whatsoever. I sold the OCZ for 40 bucks, IMO OCZ is 3rd to PCP&C and Antec. PCP&C has a power regulation of .01%.

Well, atleast not the new Antec. I will refer you to the Toms hardware review where an Antec true control lost its marbles.

I too would love to see an Xbit Labs test run between a OCZ 520 and a PC P&C 510. You can't compare 420's to 500+ watt units. If you're overloading a 420 of course it's gonna take a dump under load. I can gurantee you, that the OCZ is not that that far off from the PC P&C. Like I said before. I tested it and the numbers are conservative on that 520 unit. I have tried to get my OCZ 520 warm and have not been able to do it. The only time I have even been able to tell anything above ambient is when I did that sillyness with running and insane amount of programs all at one time.

The best is a relative term. Does that mean it's 100 dollars better? No. 100 dollars is 5 20 dollar meals. I'm not that hungry for a couple percentage points or a big name. :)

3DFlyer said:
I too would love to see an Xbit Labs test run between a OCZ 520 and a PC P&C 510.

They've done the OCZ 520w and 470w - the 520w has some regulation issues compared to the 470w, but it did well otherwise. The closest thing they've tested to a PC P&C is the Fortron FSP460-60PFN 460w server unit.

I have an OCZ 520 running a 3.2E presscott. The rails are solid even overclocked. I use the external adjustments only to get the chip to 4.0ghz+.

My opinion really doesnt matter now, but get the PC P&C. I think i will get one instead of the OCZ PS 520 i was gonna get. They are just dead sexy and tough as nails.

Susquehannock said:
How about a comparrison between the OCZ Powerstream 420w and the PCP&C Turbo Cool 425w?
Everyone always forgets about that one.

TurboCool425 would out-perform it in evey way.

The Powerstream 420 I had was junk. j-u-n-k!

Found this interesting table over at PCStats.com where they tested bunch of different PSU's including PCP&C/SLI and based on efficiency it came out on top.

Back