• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded Blocks In Hand!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Picked up 3 blocks from the machinist today, the storm, apogee and fuzion. Now I just need to test to see if it works... I think I may have gone a mm or two too big on the step (diameter wise, not depth). I also had him lap them so they are FLAT, no BOW WHATSOEVER. This required the fuzion to be lapped ASSEMBLED. Will update when I have some data, but now a couple of pics.

3stepped.jpg

stormclose.jpg

Good looking blocks.

I'm interested to see what if any improvement there is. Depending on cost and the improvement I might be interested in doing this to my FuZion.

Did you just have material removed in order to decrease lateral heat migration?
Oh laddy, you don't think I'd go through all this just for that do ya? :D Let's see if I can make you see the light with this one picture from the mount of the modded storm:

mountpaste.jpg

I'm guessing you used a nearly microscopic amount of AS5 on that?

Very nice spread.
Its not as5... i use ceramique on the test bed. I do a dollop in the center, let the WB do the spreading, any excess gets squished out the sides as you can see on the left.

Missing the upward bevel of the IHS is enough for it to potentially work great with either a quad or dual (they're obviously different). I guess having it match the die area would be better in theory but you'd need different blocks for different cpu types then.

Ok, you did it also to concentrate on where the cores are located underneath the IHS?
Bingo! Give this man a cookie!

Missing the upward bevel of the IHS is enough for it to potentially work great with either a quad or dual (they're obviously different). I guess having it match the die area would be better in theory but you'd need different blocks for different cpu types then.
Yes it does. I think maybe the storm will own once more :D I do however think I made the step too big in diameter... by 2sq mm or so.

I might be lost here, but how is this going to increase the cooling area of the Storm? I thought the size of the current C2D and C2Q dies exceeded the original cooling patch on the Storm. Did you modify the internals to increase this?

Noob questions galore.

EDIT: I'm interested because I own 2/3 water blocks you have modded. I'm not questioning just for the sake of it.

I am going to take a stab at answering your question standole666. The storm was put to rest because the c2d and c2q area you had to cool was just outside of what was optimal for the storm. This modification lowers your cooling area where smaller areas is where the storm shines.

So there are two goals here. One is a more concentrated cooling over exactly where the cores are and increased mouning pressure.

--pak

The coolng patch on the Storm is more than fine... it is roughly 24mm sq (bit smaller) which is nearly the exact size of the patch on the bottom of the modded blocks. The idea behind the step is to increase mount pressure, much like a bow would do only this way is the correct way to do this IMO.

The coolng patch on the Storm is more than fine... it is roughly 24mm sq (bit smaller) which is nearly the exact size of the patch on the bottom of the modded blocks. The idea behind the step is to increase mount pressure, much like a bow would do only this way is the correct way to do this IMO.

I'll buy it. Let us know how it works!

back plates are almost a MUST these days...

way back when bare-dies existed, the mobo was basically strong enough to hold the pressure "we" would put on

but with todays IHS's you can *REALLY* crank blocks down without any worry of chipping/cracking the die. thus a backplate is needed to help keep the mobo even close to flat.

great to see you testing stuff like this out Nik :beer: GOOD LUCK!!

personal note: i take a "few" months off and the H2O cooling world has gone from jet-impreg blocks back to pin-fin :rolleyes:

so when will we see some results?? I was just about to sell my storm when.......shazam a great idea comes along.

Nice machine work, it will be interesting to see you results. Did you happen to have them build you any Fuzion jets? I need one.

Back