• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best heatsink/fan combo for mboards w/out the 4 mounting holes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deptmaster

I'm currently using my original millennium glaciator with my Athlon [email protected]. I want to get a Barton 2500+.

I have a m/atx biostar nforce2 board that unfortunatly doesn't have the 4 mounting holes so I'm relying on using the socket clips.
I have no idea which is the best? 2800+ or 3000+ speeds at low noise, price not an issue.

Thermaltake slk800 or SK-7 and a low noise 80mm fan if you don't want a fan screaming in your ear.

I use a Delta 80cfm fan, so I can't really recommend any low noise fans but the heatsinks are the best right now.

Last edited:
Cooler Master Aero7+

It's a bit risky due to it's large weight.

An SK7 with a powerfull 80mm fan should work as well. I'm about to try and OC a Barton 2500+ with just a sk6+ and a 60mm Y.S. tech fan and see how it goes. If it can hit 2.2 GHz (12x184) I'll be happy.

Whatever hsf you get make sure the mounting clip uses all six lugs on the ZIF socket. Big chunk of copper slamming onto your vid card is not cool.

Hello, people!?!??! SLK800A with your choice of a fan; Vantec Tornado on a rheobus being the best, Thermaltake Smartfan II next and lower noise operation. Only 0.01 C/W worse than the SLK900 and identical in performance to the SLK900U, this is doubtlessly your best bet.

Last edited:
if you go with the slk-800, just make sure you get the slk-800(A), which mounts with the 3 lugs on each side. Don't get the slk-800( U), which bolts on.

I agree with Gautam, the SLK-800A is the best you can get that doesn't require mounting holes.

AKULA said:
An SK7 with a powerfull 80mm fan should work as well. I'm about to try and OC a Barton 2500+ with just a sk6+ and a 60mm Y.S. tech fan and see how it goes. If it can hit 2.2 GHz (12x184) I'll be happy.

OT, but I'm using an SK-6+ currently and it keeps load temps around 50 on my Tbred-B overclocked to 2.2 w/1.65v. I'm about to move to an SLK-800 or 900.

Yes, I used to use an SK6+, and my results were similar to yours, except that my load was around 57, as I had using 1.825v. It's a very nice heatsink, but begins to top off at around 2.2ghz. An SK7 would get you around 2.4ghz, and the SLK800 high 2.4's to 2.5ghz+.

Love my SK6+ I got it from SidewinderComputers for 8.95 and mounted a clearblue led 80mm fan it. I am very pleased with the results, currently getting around 37C @ idle and around 44C @ full load Prime 95.

1700 dut3c 319 xpmw@ 2.0GHZ, gonna try to go higher just taking my time, due to the fact that this is my first venture into overclocking.

SLK-800 with the tt smt fan 2!!!! i belive you are better off with that fan than the tornado.

gosh darnit i lost my link to some specs and opinions on it sorry.

yes a low noise panaflow will work but with this sink more CFM is a huge help.

there's a sticky in the general cooling section made by nerdlogic on how to put a 92mm fan on an slk800. so you could get the slk800 and the 92mm panaflow that does 40+cfm and 30Dba as measured by panaflo(very strict) and you can use the sticky to guide you through on how to stick the fan on. it's basically a matter of bending the mounting wires that come with the sink. she has pics in the sticky to show you what's going on.

oh yeah btw. slk800a (bought before there was more than one version) 40CFM sunon on an xp1800@2040 1.85 Vcore is currently doing 37C full load with 27C ambient. the slk800 is king.

or you could just try to squeeze it in. duct tape is useful if you can find a way to apply it.

here ya go.
http://www.directron.com/f298.html

$13.99+$2.00 for the 4 pin molex to hook to the PSU.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/scan/se=Fans/se=92mm Fans/mp=menu_search.html

that's a nice list of 92mm fans. some are high cfm but there's a few that are quiet. the generic one on the bottom right says 49CFM 28Dba. i don't know how much i trust the Dba rating from a "generic" brand but i beleive the point is that it's quiet. so for a CPU fan even 32Dba from a fan that big is ok. comes with a 4 pin molex and costs $5.

Last edited:
Heatsink factory has the SLK800 and the Panaflo 92mm low output fan for a great price. I'm gonna order the bigger fan and try to rig it on some how I guess i could attach it to the PS that its going to be right next to. Do you think the 4 pin molex is a better idea than the 3 pin with the rpm monitoring? I know that its safer if you're pulling alot of juice but a panaflo should be ok?

Back