• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Guide to Setting up Your Own Apache Server on Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hey, simple (hopefully) question.

I just want to run filesharing such as an FTP server or secure shell so that I can access my hard drive from another location. First off, what is recommended/available for me to do? FTP or SSH?

since I have a dynamic IP, I assume I can still register a domain at http://www.no-ip.com/ and then install a server such as FileZilla and I'm good to go?

How would I login to it? ftp://mydomain.com:21 ?

I personally use FileZilla for my FTP Server, and SmartFTP for my FTP client.

So you would install the server, create a user account, and point that user to the directory where your files are at. Then for the client, you would enter the domain (yourname.no-ip.com), the username, the password, and the port (21).

If you want people to be able to download files using their browser without having to log in, just create a non-passworded user account called anonymous. Only give in the read priviledge, and set it to the directory where your files are located. Then you can access files via the browser at ftp://yourdomain.no-ip.com.

Yea, I forwarded port 21 already, but I can't really figure out how to use the filezilla program for my FTP. I still have to mess with it, I guess.

I strongly recommend appserv 2.4.4a. The other versions will work, but my guide is only designed around that version.

For example, if you choose 2.5.4a (newer releases of PHP and phpMyAdmin), you can probably get by with the basic AppServ install. However, if you try to secure MySQL and phpMyAdmin using the instructions on this guide, you will end up locking yourself out of phpmyadmin.

I'm making an updated guide with screenshots and stuff at http://www.kubels.net. You're welcome to stop by (pardon the dust).

OK, I'll try it out. Your new site is looking nice, thanks for putting all this good info together, I've been wanting to learn a lot of this stuff!

Site looks good yes :)
added to favorites. People are always looking for tutorials like these.

So after HOURS of searching, I finally found some help with securing newer versions of phpmyadmin. I have downloaded version 2.63 and set it up using the following instructions:

http://www.aota.net/PHP_and_MySQL/phpmyadmin.php4

HUGE IMPORTANT NOTE: When you create your new account (to replace root) make sure that Host is set to Local. If you leave it at "Any Host", you will not be able to login.

Also, when searching through your config.inc.php, you'll find that you can't just copy and paste his parameters into the find box. The newest version is a little different so, as an example, it's easiest to search for PmaAbsolute instead of $cfgPmaAbsoluteUri ...otherwise you won't find it. (because it should really be $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri']

Another note, I used "cookie" as the auth_type because from what I've read, it is the most secure.

Hope this helps.

I have a quick question. Recently, I've been getting notifications from norton that a remote host is attempting to access Mysqld-nt.exe and Mercury.exe ...I don't know if this is normal, but I've been blocking it. I haven't even built a site yet, I'm just using this cheesball MLM thing at LottoMagik.com, so I don't know who would be trying to access my e-mail or sql server??? Then again, I'm new at this, so maybe it's normal. I would appreciate any advice you could give.

Thanks

erm yeah running appserv 2.5.4a i install phpnuke 7.8 or 7.7 i go make a superadmin account after doing so i cant login to it...i got the username and pass right... iv unloaded nuke and reloaded it many times and still the same problem... it doesnt say the login is bad or anything just reloads the admin login page....

UPDATE

yeah not sure what i did but after reinstalling it for the 10th time it works :/

Last edited:
Somebody can send me the BigApache 1.x or 2.x....
My download speed is so slow,just only 10+kb/s ....
And the file nees about 100+MB.
I hope I can get it in half hour...

Question, I am using Apache/1.3.33 Server and set it to run as a background program. Now, I want to change the location where the web server gets its files, as I installed larger secondary HDD. I have no idea how to change the location of the HTTP files... I would be greatful if someone could tell me how, or point me in the right direction.

Oroka Sempai said:
Question, I am using Apache/1.3.33 Server and set it to run as a background program. Now, I want to change the location where the web server gets its files, as I installed larger secondary HDD. I have no idea how to change the location of the HTTP files... I would be greatful if someone could tell me how, or point me in the right direction.

I think somewhere in the Apache directory that it gets installed in, is a txt document called "config" or something. Open up the file, read the million comments, and somewhere it shows you how to do just what you asked.

Back