• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this look like a Res crack to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

So I was checking on my water color (separate thread a few down) and I noticed what looked like a crack in the bottom of the reservoir. The angle is kinda weird though, and with the water reflections and stuff, I can't really tell.
I took some pictures and video, and I can't see the supposed crack at all from above, couldn't even get it to glint off the light from my phone camera. From the front side, though, it definitely looks like a crack.

Luckily I'm pulling out my CPU block tomorrow anyway, so it'll be a cakewalk to pop the other QDC and pull out the res for inspection, but I'd like to hear what you guys think of the initial pictures and any advice you might have for what to look for when I pull the res out - thanks!

It's just below/in front of the pump inlet chamber there
Res Front 1.jpg

Res Front 2.jpg

Top view downward looking - can't seem to find it from this angle
Res Top view.jpg

Yeah, that looks like a crack. I would request for an RMA with Swiftech. You don't always see cracks from other views, depending where the crack started, what angle its in etc. I will say I can't tell if its the base of the reservoir or from the front.

The water looks much clearer.

I have had the same deal with EK block. EK didnt give to s***s, and said i could buy a new top.

But that is a crack, and its RMA time.

Yeah, that looks like a crack. I would request for an RMA with Swiftech. You don't always see cracks from other views, depending where the crack started, what angle its in etc. I will say I can't tell if its the base of the reservoir or from the front.

The water looks much clearer.

Yes, the water seems to be holding it's (lack) of color well now that the PTN is pretty much gone.

I hope inspecting it further will reveal it's just an optical trick, but it does look like a crack :rain: sigh

I am going to be royally pissed if this rig is down for a week, seeing as I put mostly Swiftech parts into it, and then they reward me by dropping the ball on the biggest ticket item.
Plus, two of their fittings already leaked. Of course I'm not sure if that was their fault or my own, but I'm not super impressed so far.

On that note, how loud are pumps supposed to be exactly? I know a lot of people water cool in order to quiet their system, but my pump at 55% speed can easily overpower the Redux fans and even the industrial noctuas to a degree, in terms of noise.

Anyway, I'll post some pics tomorrow when I pull the res out.

Back