• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Your Own Standby Switch - pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmAn

Here is my little how to on how to build your own standby switch

These can be used to instantly stop all internet traffic to your computer or to your network depending on where you put it...
It is very simple

Materials and tools needed

1. Ethernet Cable
2. Light Switch
3. Screwdriver
4. Tape
5. Scissors
6. Knife
7. 10 minutes of time

so here we go

First take the sheating off of the desired location of the switch. Be sure to take off about 2 inches of sheating. This is Easily done with a knife. Be sure not to cut any wires as it may ruin the cable

DSCN1213.jpg

Now take your scissors and cut the orange wire
Then take the wire you just cut and take some of the orange sheath off of it

DSCN1215.jpg

Now prepare your switch by backing the screws out

DSCN1214.jpg

Now loosely wrap the copper wire around the screw in a clockwise rotation
Then screw the screw down being careful not to break the fragile copper wire

DSCN1218.jpg

Now do it to the other side

DSCN1220.jpg

Now it should look like this

DSCN1221.jpg

Now Put tape around the connections and around the switch and enjoy

DSCN1222.jpg

This is also known as a lag switch to all of you socom 2 and socom 3 players :p

there are other reasons to use it other than cheating

if you have a network with vital information and you think it is being attacked then isnt it quicker to flip a switch rather than dig behind everything and unplug the modem/router and cause a total loss of the network

or say you ground your kids from the computer and you have to go to work
They are gonna get on the computer
You can have the switch hidden and flip it when you leave so they will be like

ZOMG THE INTERNET DOESNT WORK!!!!!!

worked on my lil-siss'es when i was asked to disable their internet without them noticing anything disconnected (not that they even know what a disconnected cable looks like)

there are more uses to this than cheating which i believe is not cool anyways

i have run this for many years and i just got around to posting the pics and i have not had any problems with data loss or ping times

EmAn said:
there are other reasons to use it other than cheating

if you have a network with vital information and you think it is being attacked then isnt it quicker to flip a switch rather than dig behind everything and unplug the modem/router and cause a total loss of the network
Perfect for the paranoid person!!:D

thideras said:
Perfect for the paranoid person!!:D
My router and modem are on a power bar with a switch that is mounted to the side of my desk.

(ya know the cheap ones that come mounted to a large desk).
I have em set up like that for easy resetting if my net boggs out.
much easier, and it kills my whole network so if somones was hacking internaly the'd be cut off too :p

BTW: why use such a large switch, actually what would be cool are those panick kill switches used in industrial plants, the big red one that you just push down. Have to rotate em to release and reset.

But yeah expect packet loss and flakey response from that setup, thos switches arent made for high frequancy data, theyre made for low frequancy line current, and the contacts probably dont make too great of contact for low current high frequancy applications.

I did this once with a turbo switch from an old 486 computer, was a small on/off switch and seemed to work fine. I would never do this with gigabit, if im that paranoid i will put a in-line switch on the power lead going to my switch or even my router.

As i said before I have had no problems on this for over a year. I have been gaming on it with my ps2 AND my PC with no problems what so ever... My pings have not increased. I also have been testing to see how well the signal from the data is

LOL i could see it now... a market for a lil foot pad device that you can push a button with your foot to lag your ur net for some serious gaming LOLOL.... hmmmm i may have to try :p ... naw just playing.

nd4spdbh2 said:
LOL i could see it now... a market for a lil foot pad device that you can push a button with your foot to lag your ur net for some serious gaming LOLOL.... hmmmm i may have to try :p ... naw just playing.

actually you can already buy those profesionally made online

Back