• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AV/Firewall for vista x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delman

Well my Norton 360 crap has finally run out and recently it started having issues where it was unstable. So I was wondering what yall recommend for vista x64 since I realized zone alarm doesn't have anything for it and I am kind of having trouble trusting Norton to even sit there with out throwing errors, much less actually provide protection. Is Norton Internet Security better than 360?

Well I did some searching and found both nod32 and kaspersky both were recomended. I am going to run the free trial of each and see which one I want. I see that the nod32 is really fast but I look at it this way, that My computer has been plenty fast with norton so do I really need more speed, however I am looking at nod32 for my laptop for longer battery life.

Avast works well for me. They have a free version as well
I didn't know that it worked with x64 hmm I already run that on my other machines especially when I want the boot scan. I get annoyed though by those popup things all the time and the virus database has been updated startles me so I am giving the others a shot starting with nod32 which I have running now.

I am still in the dark though on a firewall. I see some mentioned about kaspersky, outpost and comodo but I don't really see any good comparisons.

Avast is a good free program. I had it running on my vista x64 box for a few months. It worked well. I'm currently using Microsoft's forefront security which I like.

You can turn off all the popups in Avast. I've heard things about Outpost and Comodo but don't see any need to use a software firewall in my case.

I didn't know that it worked with x64 hmm I already run that on my other machines especially when I want the boot scan. I get annoyed though by those popup things all the time and the virus database has been updated startles me so I am giving the others a shot starting with nod32 which I have running now.

I am still in the dark though on a firewall. I see some mentioned about kaspersky, outpost and comodo but I don't really see any good comparisons.

krypto.. You think running Comodo firewall is overkill for my netowrk when I have every pc behind my DGL-4300 ? Also I need some way to stealth ports 80,443 . I used GRC and another site and they seem to think its a concern. I run my windows home server also that use those ports.. Any ideas?

Yes, I know routers do have firewalls and I have a couple different forms of firewalls(at home) but when I plug my computer in to a network for a business there are others behind the routers and I can't control all the other users actions so I want to be safe. Yes unlikely for an attack especially from the outside world but if it were from the inside going out I want to be a little secure.

So I feel I need a software one as well. I thought I could get an honest answer for one not just some one saying use a router and at home I have a dedicated firewall on top of a router, thank you, so I don't need it at home but for elsewhere I do.

edit: I guess I'll just give comodo a shot.

Last edited:
nod32, Kaspersky, or Trend micro.

Free is ok, but if you have the cash, there's no excuse for not getting the best protection.

Back