• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video: How to Install VGA Hotwire on ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any updates on this project yet? I have 3 of these cards that im going to put under a water loop and even just a bios mod that would allow me to push the card past 110? i'd imagine the redesigned power delivery would do at or above what people are doing with the reference pcb design?

How well would vga hotwire work in a 3x sli config? running a max vi extreme mobo.

Ive done the mod but have issues with voltage control still. I using gpu pad to read voltage under load and set 10k variable resistor to max before soldering. under 3d load I increased voltage on resistor but only got to 1.114 volts or so max under 3d load. If I remove variable reisistor it boots up fine on stock voltage and can use asus gpu tweak to get to 1.212 which is a little less actual under load. Any ideas would be great. If I OHm OVG to Ground I get about 32Mohm which is the same for for OVM and OVL to ground

i have the exact same problem, anyone got any tips? soldered one lead between the resistor and ovg, and the other lead between ground on a pci-e lead and the resistor, and one lead on gpu for voltage monitoring, i cant get over 1,15v with the resistor maxed out, if i turn it the other way the voltage drop.

I was soldering to wrong spot on pcie plug on card. Was supose to be ground spot but since power supply plugs on the gtx 780 dc2 are upside down vs on the 680 dc2 and the guide I followed was for the 680 my ground spot was actually 12v hot spot and not ground. Confirmed you ground solder point is actual a ground by ohm with meter to know card grounds like the screw holes with copper expose

Hmmm, sounds possible actually, should i solder the lead onto a copper-exposed screwhole instead?

Edit: Confirmed that i might have soldered onto the wrong lead, ops, measured with multimeter and gnd, had 12v, gonna try to move the lead to gnd instead

Hmmm, sounds possible actually, should i solder the lead onto a copper-exposed screwhole instead?

Edit: Confirmed that i might have soldered onto the wrong lead, ops, measured with multimeter and gnd, had 12v, gonna try to move the lead to gnd instead

I sure hope I can help. I spent many hours before finnaly figuring out what I did wrong. Was so frustraing

I sure hope I can help. I spent many hours before finnaly figuring out what I did wrong. Was so frustraing

Thank you so much, that was the problem :)
now i just have some stability problems when benchmarking, running 1,3v @ 1300mhz on the core, and haven crashes constantly, even at 1,4v, maybe my psu is maxed out or something

What power supply do u have. Once pushing these cards single rail psus seem to be the better choice. Also youll need a modified bios with increased power target as well. At 1.4v or so I think ocp/ovp kicks in so need to find disable.exe at kingpincooling forums. Just found it for the gtx 780ti dc2 at those forums today but seems like its helped for me. I kept getting crashes and couldn't run firestrike at 1372 mhz due to restarts. Today I ran 1372 and 1385 ish before shutting it down and waiting for cooler temps. That was 1.38 load. Previously I had out 1.45v trying the same clocks due to not kknowing what my issue was.
http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2533

What power supply do u have. Once pushing these cards single rail psus seem to be the better choice. Also youll need a modified bios with increased power target as well. At 1.4v or so I think ocp/ovp kicks in so need to find disable.exe at kingpincooling forums. Just found it for the gtx 780ti dc2 at those forums today but seems like its helped for me. I kept getting crashes and couldn't run firestrike at 1372 mhz due to restarts. Today I ran 1372 and 1385 ish before shutting it down and waiting for cooler temps. That was 1.38 load. Previously I had out 1.45v trying the same clocks due to not kknowing what my issue was.
http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2533

Running a corsair hx850, downloaded the files, and when i try to start disable.exe it just pops up for like a second then disappears, am i doing something wrong?

ah, im running skyn3ts bios for the dc2, with increased powertarget, im gonna try to open it in cmd

edit: started the cmd prompt, started disable.exe, same thing, just pops up and disappears
edit2: well now i think i managed to run it, i got a OK! is this right? do i need to reboot after running the file?

Last edited:
Im not to sure about the reboot. Might have to do it each time to bench. I had to figure it out myself too but once I got the ok! I ran some quick tests and I think it may have helped. Ill check later when colder.

If you have B1 revision then use new BIOS. That skyn3t DC2 bios is standard BIOS for 1st revision GTX780 with added power limit and at least for me it was working worse. I'm using modded Galaxy HoF BIOS for B1 rev. PCB which is working best so far.
I doubt you can make it run better above ~1.325V. My card hits a wall at about 1.32V and higher voltage is causing random driver crashes or reboots. Also if you check voltages under load then you find out that stock voltage is going up to 1.25-1.26V. Actually 1.28-1.29V was best for my card and I haven't seen any better OC above that.

You can flash any BIOS with just " nvflash bios.rom -4 -5 -6 " command from cmd.

Last edited:
My gtx780 dc2 is a1 revision with crappy elpida memory. Im using skyn3t 3a bios for the card and so far have hit 1424mhz at 1.4+ volts no problem as long as I disable ocp/ovp

My gtx780 dc2 is a1 revision with crappy elpida memory. Im using skyn3t 3a bios for the card and so far have hit 1424mhz at 1.4+ volts no problem as long as I disable ocp/ovp

I also have Elpida memory which is running at max 1690MHz.
How you disable ocp/ovp ? ... I just couldn't find info about it.

Thanks :thup: GTX780 DC2 is already in my brother's PC and I'm not sure if I will check it soon but maybe I will get 780Ti in couple of days.
I'm not complaining on my GTX780 as it has 90%+ ASIC and is passing 1300MHz without any mods. At least for gaming it doesn't need any changes and for sub 0 benching I wish something stronger ;)

Well after a couple of frustrating days i finally have my card somewhat stable at 1300mhz @ 1,3 at the core and 6700 on the mem, but when i go over 1300 mhz my drivers crash, and if i turn up the voltage on the gpu, my computer just straight up turns off, have tried increasing the pll a little bit and no difference, im at my wits end, the only things i have found is that my ovp may kick in, but i cant disable it :(

Your psu is prob causing ur issues pushing past 1.3v 1300. Mine is only stable at 1280/6700 bf4 and thats with 1.33v. Once I got a single rail psu and disabled ovp/ocp ive pushed passed 1372 in bench marks to 1424 just need gpu pot now. Ur psu ovp may be tripping.

I just recently bought this very card for my son's new gaming rig build. It worked fine right out of the box. The voltage mods were removed, but I thought I'd look at what Jeremy did just to learn how it was executed and performed. This card is amazing how it's designed and overbuilt by Asus. I sure wish it could be used to do some GPU_FAH WUs. Maybe I'll talk him into letting it run FAH for several days just to see how much PPD it could generate.

F@H is showing ~50K PPD as a credit. I won't tell you exactly how much PPD it gives as I was only running it for like 1, not even full day but for sure it's good for folding.

Back