• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

springs needed in wb install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

i have a tc4 which uses the standared water block mounting where i put the screws through the mobo and use thumb screws to tighten the block to the cpu.

will it still work if i dont use springs? what do i do tighten the screw to the washers on the block? what i am asking is can i do it like this.... starting from under the mobo...

screw
washer
mobo
washer
metal washer
block
washer
THUMB SCREW (normally for me it would be... SPRING and then THUMB SCREW)

does this work? i want to do this so i coud attach a fan to the screws wheras i cant with the springs.

it doesnt take a huge amount of pressure to crush the core; the magic number escapes me right now but i read somewhere the amount of pressure the die can withstand, can anyone remind me? anyways my point was gonna be that there is no reason it cant be done, but it may be unrecommended - it can be really hard to get the pressure even (cracked die) when tightening the screws down and also it can be really hard to tell how tight the pressure is and how much is enough and how much is too much(cracked die). i would try it without the springs and tighten as lightly as i thought was ok and then bootup and look at my temps to see if i was getting good contact, then tighten more if necessary. i would just be super careful and go for it... of course i feel compelled to mention that i have done my fair share of stupid things in my 20 years of life. :D good luck.

Would cutting your springs in half help?
Gemini waterblocks come with o-rings to keep tension. There they are in the little baggie in my desk drawer...I use springs, and have custom hardware, so I use that. But I don't see why they wouldn't at least drop the risk percentage some. Maybe even a 1/4" of rubber tubing.

Just some ideas...I give NO warrantees...you on you own.

Back