• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Overclock A Dell!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been using cpufsb to have my dell xps T450 overclocked for almost a year now. It is a p3 stock @ 450Mhz, oc'd to 555Mhz completely stable. Can hit 600Mhz, but cant run cpu intensive apps.
heres a pic of stock
NONOCD.jpg

and here is a pic of ocd
OCD.jpg

Nice post. In the past with my Dell 550, I didn't have luck with this, but I also have a 2.0 that I'll try it on sometime soon.

Is there a BIOS that I can get to replace the Dell BIOS?

All I can say about Dell is that their cases are built to last (good thing too because i get mad sometimes...)

diddo now when some of the newbees come by and ask how to overclock a dell we can point them here, nice job dude, one on me :beer:

I asked this before but nobody answered?

All I need to is download some program and follow those rules up there and there is a chance I could OC my system without soldering anything or doing any kind of physical adjustments?

I would love to hear if someone could do this on the system I got. I have a P4 3.06 w/ HT. I wonder if that would be a problem?

Yes, that's precicely it :) The software talks directly to the PLL chip on your motherboard (the chip the generates the reference clock signal used by the PCI and FSB) and can tell it to change it's speed to a different value.

The hardest part is finding the PLL chip and having support for it. I searched on my HP once to no avail (since there were 3 chips that looked like they could be it), but once you've found it (and it's in the PLL database in the software), you're golden :)

JigPu

ufound it!!
i had this informationa while back - u more or less tell the crystal i the mobo what speed to run at :D

anyways great read may try this :D

Mr.Guvernment said:
Ps - i thought dells used Intel motherboards?

Dell seems to use what ever they can get the cheapest! This should work with just about any system, not just Dell, as long as you can find the supported mobo and PLL chip in the software. The tricky part with Dell is that most times (if not all times) the mobo model is not displayed in plain english on the board itself. The boards Dell gets are de-branded. A utility like SiSoft Sandra might help you to figure it out though based upon the chipsets, etc. With my system, I knew that they are using Asus boards around that production date, so that limited my choices.

well - i am home now wth my dell 2.4 (same chips as mine other that goes to 3.2 :D) it is a 8250 and uses pc1066 rambus :D so hope ican get soemthing dcent and hope the cooling already on it is okay
may have to put on some better thermale paste

okay

my dell is using a

ICS 9250CF-22
how ever in the list they only have

9250-22

no CF
?

does that matter

also when i choose that PLL - under everythiung instead of listing frquencies - it just says

guess that means i cant o/c mine?

darn it!@

CPUCooL does not support the following PLL's because they do not have a System Management Bus connection or the FSB could not be set via System Management Bus. So there is and will be no program that supports these PLL's!!! There is absolutely no chance!

and mine is one of them :(

W00t!! Just overclocked my Gateway with the PLL trick :) I couldn't find the dang thing when I looked, but a google search returned one site mentioning the PLL. The chip actually says "CY283460" but CPUFSB's "CY28346" setting works just fine.

P4 1.8A undergoing testing @ 1.98 (110x18)GHz :cool:
JigPu

Back