• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4K Asus VE258Q First few days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fugu

4k, where to get started.. It's this supposedly mythical hard to get pricey and illusive super resolution, or Ultra resolution that you'd have to spend thousands of dollars to attain and only ever get 30hz out of which just doesn't work for us gaming and productivity folks.
Along came this 28" 4k display for under $700.00 and at such a pricetag it's definitely not something you just buy without looking into first. Heck you could buy a triple monitor array, a stand for them and an okay video card to run it instead.
Once you fire it up and run a game at that resolution you fully understand where the future is taking us. The depth, the colour, the sheer amount of action on your screen is just mindblowing! Imagine taking your 1080p display and glueing it to your forhead and not getting a blurry image from it being so close! The detail and depth just blow you away.
So enough with teasing you, i'll let you know what it's taken to get it working and what kind of an experience it is. First off it's not hard to get it running but getting cables for it may be an issue and has caused me to have to completely rearrange my desk to move my computer and still have it hooked up to my racing sim's 3 screen setup. I can't find a cable locally that is display port 1.2 that is over 6 feet long and an 8 foot cable is whats required to maintain my desk layout, minor problem for now.
Having all 4 monitors hooked up in Eyefinity seems to work out as well as it usually did when I had my 1080p Asus hooked up. Turn on the 4k and turnoff the triple and you revert back to a single desktop.. Turn off the 4k and turn on the triple and you've got eyefinity running again ready to race, so thankfully that worked out well.
Customizing the screen sucks! Although the Asus has a wicked height and rotating stand for putting the monitor at a comfortable height you struggle to find a decent Ultra High Definition resolution wallpaper that isn't some sissy forest or digitally rendered fractal background. It seems that the content isn't quite there yet.
Watching video's is also a bit sombre. Youtube is an important part of a PC's daily uses and now with the 4k resolution your youtube at fullscreen sets us back 8-9 years where any video you tried to watch was so pixelated it hurt. Well, just watch a 4k video right? Nope, first you have to find one that you want to watch and then if you're lucky your ISP is fast enough to load it so you can watch it all in one shot.

Owning a Go-Pro camera now has a new perk and after sticking my camera in a lake while fishing and bringing the video home was an eye opening experience!

Eye strain would be my last fault i've found to complain about and it's minor really. I've found that the screen is so sharp in definition and windows UI doesn't scale up to the task well that you are always trying to focus on small details causing minor strain over time. Something maybe fixed in windows 8? Maybe a successor of windows will have more 4k compatibility?

Hardware is a kicker if you really want to take advantage of the resolution. Your computer now has to produce a massive image at least 60 times a second. I've found even on an Asus 280x in crossfire games like BF4 struggle at Ultra but actually do very well at High settings! In the near future I know i'm stuck upgrading to a much more powerful GPU or multiple GPU's to keep up with the urge to go bigger and better for visual appearance. Sadly a small graphics card just can't keep up making the 4k experience even more expensive.

So if you get the chance buy a monitor like this, your games will look stunning and you'll be future proof as the content comes out and is more mainstream (youtube). The prices are finally coming down and a monitor like this is something to experience.. Now I wait for my Oculus Rift DK2!

3KT2Bkd.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience! I couldn't imagine 2 280x's(7970's) being up to the task of 4K gaming. Try Ultra though and lower the AA to 2x and see if that helps with Ultra settings. I would bet my life says your are easily filling up the 3GB of vram (I use 2.4 to 2.6GB at 2560x1440 with default Ultra settings).

Thanks for sharing your experience! I couldn't imagine 2 280x's(7970's) being up to the task of 4K gaming. Try Ultra though and lower the AA to 2x and see if that helps with Ultra settings. I would bet my life says your are easily filling up the 3GB of vram (I use 2.4 to 2.6GB at 2560x1440 with default Ultra settings).

You know we're doing something right when 2 7970's "wont cut it" haha. :thup:

The two 3gb cards are doing well for 4k gaming but the Ultra Graphics are just too much, heck i'm hearing even 780ti's and all the big Nvidia cards would struggle just as bad!

wow. Nice read. Thanks for the infor. What about 290x crossfire, will it cut in gaming triple eyefinity 4k monitor. What about adding a 3rd 290x, will this help or it just needed more more vram, let say 6-8gb?.

I don't think much is going to handle 4k very well at 60fps and ultra settings, it's just such a large picture to draw the current "affordable" cards just won't do it.

1ms response time and the ability to run 4k at high settings really make this monitor stand up well to gaming.

wow. Nice read. Thanks for the infor. What about 290x crossfire, will it cut in gaming triple eyefinity 4k monitor. What about adding a 3rd 290x, will this help or it just needed more more vram, let say 6-8gb?.

I don't think there is a solution ATM for 4K surround. NVidia is claiming a Titan X can achieve this, but I am skeptical

I think we will have to wait for next gen GPU's to see 4K surround a reality. Even at that you will probably need 2x flagship parts to make it happen with max eye candy

Oops. I missed 4K surround.

And I would think 2 295x2's or 2 Titan Z's (Z is the dual GPU Titan) would do it. Perhaps not at a flat 60FPS, but, I bet its plenty playable on most titles. Especially without AA or lowering AA which is entirely possible on such a high res/DPI.

EDIT: Actually, at CES, I saw an Nvidia Demo at 3x 4K monitors with 4 regular Titans (I think the game was Driver? Not released yet... some racing game). And it as buttery smooth.

Last edited:
Blows the mind when you think about it ?

11520 x 2160

it would crazy wide, thinking you would have to run them in portrait

6480 x 3840 for peripheral vision to pick up action on the edges

11520 x 2160

It wouldn't be any more "crazy wide" than any other 3x 16:9 monitors...
Literally, it is 5760x1080 (standard 3x 1080p) doubled in each direction, so the aspect ratio is still 48:9 for either setup.

It wouldn't be any more "crazy wide" than any other 3x 16:9 monitors...
Literally, it is 5760x1080 (standard 3x 1080p) doubled in each direction, so the aspect ratio is still 48:9 for either setup.

yea but we are talking about 28" screens, so I am thinking it would be 6 and a half feet across .... :eek:

I have 3x 24" 5760 x 1080 surround I use for racing, even at that I use my single 2560x1440 for shooters as the 3 screens wig me out in shooters for some reason, but love them for racing ...

Speaking of that the new grid should be out, sorry for off subject, but reading there will be a 4k support via patch

11520 x 2160

Yeah, no more crazy wide than 3x 28" 1080p or 1440p monitors. There is more pixels to see in the same space, but the physical dimensions would not change... unless that is what you were trying to say? :shrug:

Also, 28" screens are not 28" wide. That number is the diagonal value. on a 16:9 screen that is actually around 26" wide (also depends on bezel size of course). Not a huge difference, but... still... its 6.5' assuming there is no curve either which saves some inches as well.

yea but we are talking about 28" screens, so I am thinking it would be 6 and a half feet across .... :eek:

I have 3x 24" 5760 x 1080 surround I use for racing, even at that I use my single 2560x1440 for shooters as the 3 screens wig me out in shooters for some reason, but love them for racing ...

Speaking of that the new grid should be out, sorry for off subject, but reading there will be a 4k support via patch

It's not that big, really. I have used 27" monitors in a friend's surround setup before. It was actually very nice for racing sims.
Not really overkill by any means.

I use the same setup for racing on H2O3, and use one of the 1080p screens for anything non-racing on Little Power.

The 4K textures are a free DLC pack on Steam.

It's not that big, really. I have used 27" monitors in a friend's surround setup before. It was actually very nice for racing sims.
Not really overkill by any means.

I use the same setup for racing on H2O3, and use one of the 1080p screens for anything non-racing on Little Power.

The 4K textures are a free DLC pack on Steam.

yea I guess everyone's perception is different, I could not imagine 3x 27" screens

I also have a very skinny desk so I may be a closer to the screens than you are. All good though, have to think though surround 4K would be jaw dropping experience. All you would need is a variable speed fan over the left monitor to give you that open window experience ..... :)

Good to know on the DLC pack, thinking of downloading the new Grid this weekend, need to read a few more reviews prior to laying out the cash

yea I guess everyone's perception is different, I could not imagine 3x 27" screens

I also have a very skinny desk so I may be a closer to the screens than you are. All good though, have to think though surround 4K would be jaw dropping experience. All you would need is a variable speed fan over the left monitor to give you that open window experience ..... :)

Good to know on the DLC pack, thinking of downloading the new Grid this weekend, need to read a few more reviews prior to laying out the cash

3x 27" was nice, but I would want 1440p+ for that size.

I'm about 30" from my center monitor when racing on my 3x 24" 1080p setup.
I can cut on the ceiling fan :rofl::rofl:

Absolutely get it :)

Back