• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI's 5770 VS NVidia's 260

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You could probably get the 5770 cheapter than the gtx 260. I have a 5770 and my friend has a gtx 260 and we get similar performance while maxing out any games we play. I will say that ati has a few issues with a few games. Like I couldn't run on some settings on resident evil 5 (I don't even play it anymore). I would go for a dx11 card. P.S. Dirt 2 looks awesome maxed out.

This is just the thread i'm after... I have other concerns about these cards... well mainly ATI in general.
Working in the Engineering industry, using CNC machines, and Surfcam to drive them, ATI isn't supported by ATI, and i've head drivers are a bit iffy on their side... were they just bad stories? are the majority of ATI's actually pretty good?
I am considering a 5770, but am reluctant to buy one because of the stories i've heard.

Both companies have had good drivers and terrible drivers.
Personally i haven't had any issues with drivers from either company.

The current drivers from both companies seem to work just fine.

Well ATI has some driver issues but they usually work out the kinks, like any company the first release of a new driver is the beta used to deduce kinks/glitches. I had a terrible experience with a 5770 but I assure you that the HD5000 series is definitely a good set of cards regardless.

GTX 260
Pros: Performance gains from driver support, PhysX support, partner company warranties
PCIe V: 2.0
DX V: 10
Power: 2x 6-pin PCIe Power Connector

HD 5770
Pros: Shorter card, lower power consumption, 3x monitor support, price
PCIe V: 2.0 or 2.1
DX V: 11
Power: 1x 6-pin PCIe Power Connector

--------------

In raw performance, HD 5770 512MB < GTX 260 C196 < HD 5770 1GB < GTX 260 C216. All of them are relatively comparable to each other.

--------------

Go with the HD5770. The GTX 260 cards used to cost around 140 USD 15 months ago. They're nearing 200 now because of Fermi's flop and dwindling supply as partner companies move on to the GTX 300 and 400 GPUs. Don't be a victim of supply and demand, AMD's evergreen GPUs are more efficient electrically, smaller, newer, versatile, and most importantly cheaper.

Back