• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The definative micro stutter results thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLunau

Hey guys

Welcome to the companion thread to my article on micro stutter. You can read over the article here: http://www.overclockers.com/index.p...:microstutter&catid=60:videocards&Itemid=4266

So follow the instructions in the article and put down your results. I'll rewrite the posting format below so you don't have to switch pages

OS
CPU
Ram
Motherboard
Storage config (hard disks, SSD's, etc.)
Other expansion cards (RAID, sound, etc.)
PSU
GPU('s)
Graphics Driver version
Do you notice micro stutter subjectively?
Were you able to identify micro stutter objectively?

Eventually I hope that this forum will serve to identify possible causes and solutions for micro stutter, and show graphics card manufacturers that this IS a problem we observe and care about.

Note that this is not a discussion thread, I'll be making a discussion thread to go along side this. I know micro stutter is a touchy subject for a few of you and maybe you don't agree with my definition of it etc., but this is not the place to discuss it. If you have any question about an individuals setup, please PM them. DO NOT start asking questions in this thread.

And I will reiterate. RESULTS IN THE ABOVE FORMAT ONLY!

I'll update this first post should any particular trends start to show themselves.

Thanks guys, hopefully this will be helpful to you and the community as a whole.

Kyle

Discussion thread here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=605422

Last edited:
To start things off:

Windows Vista Business x64
Intel e2180 @ 3.2 Ghz
6 gigs OCZ Platinum DDR2 @ 1 Ghz
XFX 680i LT
300 gig RAID-0 boot (one Seagate, one WD), 500 gig Seagate for storage
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value
Corsair HX1000
2x GTX 260 216-core (one EVGA, one BFG)
Nvidia 185.65 beta
Do you notice micro stutter subjectively? Yes
Were you able to identify micro stutter objectively? Yes

ArmedZagi's results:

OS - Windows XP
CPU - q6600 @ 3.2 ghz
Ram - 4gb corsair xms2 @ 900mhz
Motherboard - evga 780i ftw
Storage config - single 400gb western digital
Other expansion cards - Hauppauge TV tuner
PSU - Tagan ITZ 1300w
GPU - 2x 8800gtx
Graphics Driver version - 6.14.11.8208 (182.08 I believe)
Do you notice micro stutter subjectively? Yes - Its painfully obvious in fallout 3
Were you able to identify micro stutter objectively? - No, sorry

OS | Win XP Pro
CPU | Phenom II 940 @ 3,3 ghz
Ram | 6 gb @ 800 mhz (vista x64 experimental)
Motherboard | MSI K9A2
Storage config | 3x Samsung 500 gb
Other expansion cards | nothing
PSU | Noname 650 W
GPU('s) | 2x 3870 [Powercolor PCS (GDDR3) & MSI OC (GDDR4)]
Graphics Driver version | 8.600.0.0 (9.4)
Do you notice micro stutter subjectively? | yes
Were you able to identify micro stutter objectively? | yes

Micro Stutter on AvP

I'm running Asus 5770 in crossfire, OC'd to 930Mhz with an intel E8600 wolfdale OC'd to 4Ghz and 4G RAM with an x48 lanparty mobo, on win7 x64, 2x seagate 500GB HDD in RAID 0, and 530w 80+ PSU.I've noticed this Micro Stutter while running AvP, game runs beautifully but as the forum states, I get a frame rate lag every couple minutes, dropping from 45-50 fps down to 1-5 fps then back up. I haven't noticed the stutter on anyother title, but now that I know what the problem is, I will do more homework on it.:)

Back