• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Guide to Power Supply Pin removers (ATX/P4 and Molexes)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MVC said:
S-ATA pin remover? I didn't know this was possible, and why would one want to? Enlightenment please oh Awesome One :)

well, there are two different kinds of SATA connectors... ones that can be removed, ones that cant... they act like fan connectors/floppy connectors (where the tab is on the top of the connector)...

holy crap, i got a sticky...

WOW... :)

finishing the ATX/Other connector guide

SolidxSnake said:
well, there are two different kinds of SATA connectors... ones that can be removed, ones that cant... they act like fan connectors/floppy connectors (where the tab is on the top of the connector)...

holy crap, i got a sticky...

WOW... :)

finishing the ATX/Other connector guide

ah, ok, S-ATA power connector. That makes more sense--I was thinking the 7 pin data connector and that didn't make any sense. For the power connector, here's what I did: http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3617372&postcount=7

Edit: Oh, and congrats on the sticky :clap:

Hey dude, when you get around to it, maybe you can throw a couple pics in there to show some demonstration for us visual learners lol.

*edit* btw congrats!

Last edited:
Okay, pics added for the ATX Pin removers... Ill add the molex 4-pin now...

thx for the congrats

I found this method a slightly easier way of removing the female molex pins, and it's adapted from this website.

http://www.geocities.com/v00d003/TheMightyPen.html?1096073809698

Instead of using a 7/64 drill bit as indicated in the guide and doing it by hand, take a 3/32 drill bit and use a drill as it's easier and much less time consuming. Secure the pen carefully so you don't end up drilling yourself ( ;) ) and go through fairly slowly. Also, the bit may get stuck so it would be useful for your drill to have a reverse feature.

Aslan said:
I found this method a slightly easier way of removing the female molex pins, and it's adapted from this website.

Instead of using a 7/64 drill bit as indicated in the guide and doing it by hand, take a 3/32 drill bit and use a drill as it's easier and much less time consuming. Secure the pen carefully so you don't end up drilling yourself ( ;) ) and go through fairly slowly. Also, the bit may get stuck so it would be useful for your drill to have a reverse feature.

THANK YOU... man, i was looking for that everywhere... couldn't find it before...

that is also a great guide to use.. the only thing I would add is to get a paper clip, and instead of pulling on the wire, you push the paper clip in through the tube and the pin pushes out, just like the aftermarket $5 pin removers

Something else:

You can use a dremel to cut up a flathead screwdriver to remove ATX/P4 connector Pins:

You get the dremel, and cut two cuts in the flathead VERY close to the edge. then you sand it down till it fits between the pin and the housing of the connector. hard to do

With all due respect...Why in the world would someone go through all this trouble when you can just buy a pin remover kit and do it the right way? :shrug: It's not like $20 is a lot of money.

I really don't mean this message to sound durogatory at all, so please don't take it that way.

I can think of two reasons just off the top of my head:

1) Self-satisfaction. DIY is more gratifying than buying something pre-made.

2) Money. $20 may not be much to you or me, but that doesn't mean it isn't much to someone else. What if that $20 is the difference between the CPU you want and the CPU you can afford at that exact moment when you want/need to buy?

$20 is a lot. at lesat for me, i have no income whatsoever.

and why spend $20 when you can get things for only 10% of that?

Aslan said:

that looks cool

-aDaM^ said:
darn, pics are down.

I'll make a new set of molex removers and take pics.

BTW, ATX removers aren't worth it unless you have the tools to make an extremely thin and durable substance. Floppy-disks don't work well, only 2 or 3 pins can be removed before the remover breaks. other removes with that (like the fan/SATA connectors) work fine, but that just needs a razor/small paper clip/chizel tweezers.

Back