• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing an HDTV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Voodoo Rufus hasn't been around for awhile.

Probably in his PJ's in a puddle of druel staring at his G10 ;).
It's a really really good TV.

Not yet. Ordered on Newegg with a projected arrival date of the 31st. Too bad I'm at work. Delivery will need to be rescheduled for the next week.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :temper::shock:

I have the Firefly series and Serenity on Bluray waiting to be spun in my PS3, as well as $100 gift card from work that's going to all go for blu-rays.

Not yet. Ordered on Newegg with a projected arrival date of the 31st. Too bad I'm at work. Delivery will need to be rescheduled for the next week.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :temper::shock:

I have the Firefly series and Serenity on Bluray waiting to be spun in my PS3, as well as $100 gift card from work that's going to all go for blu-rays.

tell ya the truth i cant wait till you get it either .. ill be paying close attention to the review you give for it :D might purchase the same one who knows

Not going to quote anybody, and please correct me if I'm wrong...but I always thought the 600Hz sub-field drive in the new Plasmas dis not interpolate; that they pulse the image several times.

Would love a more detailed explanation by some of the wonderfully intelligent people on these forums. I've been looking at TVs since flat panels first came out and still haven't brought myself to buy anything. Love my 23" LG LCD monitor but I can't bring myself to buy an LCD over a Plasma. Then I find a deal on an LCD which keeps me from buying a Panasonic, then I get bored with the spec list...and the fact that LCD interpolates and ultimately doesn't have near the performance of a Plasma. Then I notice the grainy SD on a Plasma, and I'm back to looking at LCDs, then get mad over the fake modulated 240Hz and come back to Plasma. Vicious cycle, really.

I want a G10. I really do. But TVs are too expensive to have set up and then be disappointed with the performance.

If movies are 24fps, and TV signal is 30, how do we get 60Hz? 120Hz? 240Hz? 480Hz? 600Hz?

LCDs interpolate, Plasmas pulse. Or so I thought. Please help :cry:

I got it today. It does not disappoint. The 24fps movies played at 60Hz is noticable, but no more than a regular old CRT/LCD. I can't spend the extra $1k for the 50" V10 series until I find a place to put it.

Bottom line: :drool:

Got it set up with my Z-5500s acting as HT speakers (still need one more speaker cable to get the rear right wired. Not enough length in my collection of cables), tweaked some settings to play nice with the PS3, and promptly put in Serenity. Watched the whole darn thing beginning to end.

I got it today. It does not disappoint. The 24fps movies played at 60Hz is noticable, but no more than a regular old CRT/LCD. I can't spend the extra $1k for the 50" V10 series until I find a place to put it.

Bottom line: :drool:

Got it set up with my Z-5500s acting as HT speakers (still need one more speaker cable to get the rear right wired. Not enough length in my collection of cables), tweaked some settings to play nice with the PS3, and promptly put in Serenity. Watched the whole darn thing beginning to end.

G>V is not a massive difference.

The G is freaking excellent dude. If you still have screenis envy at that point git over it.

The G is freaking excellent dude. If you still have screenis envy at that point git over it.

I have the 50G10 and love it!\

G10 does 24p at 48hz, which is not a high enough refresh rate for most people, so they don't use it.

V10 does 24p at 96hz, which is high enough for everybody.

V10 also is little a bit thinner but not by much.

V10 is a more tweakable set if you know what your doing.

I figured that the V would look better with 24fps sources compared to the G. How much better, I don't know.

I am pleased, nonetheless.

I figured that the V would look better with 24fps sources compared to the G. How much better, I don't know.

I am pleased, nonetheless.

As a person with an inferior "U" model, as well as a hatred for anything but the smoothest possible framerate, thus no use for 24P, I honestly have to say I see a thousand tiny violins for you guys.

It's a NeoPDP panel and it's THX certified.

How often are you watching 24fps content, honestly?
15% of the time max?

Besides that, 24 fits into 600 precisely 25 times, meaning that each frame can be displayed 25 times at 600Hz. Why you'd want to watch the movie at 24 actual frames per second, or 48 or 96, when you can get 600-- and not get a horrible headache enducing effect I don't know...

Maybe my brain doesn't work properly. I've never liked 24P.

Seriously though.
"You have the BIG mercedes?"
It's a wicked TV. Enjoy.

I have to ask after reading just a bit of the first part of the thread. with the statement that no LED-LCD is worth a darn. the only one i saw talked about was from Sharp, maybe OC talked about sammy LED's but didnt. Even i wouldnt consider the Sammy LEDs either, the one that is missed, which dissapoints me is from LG. A full array LED LCD,THX certified even at the 40in model. i picked up my current 47in LG LED on sale for $1299 at BB, currently $1699. though the 55in LED-LCD is going for $2399. i just wanted to point out there are LED LCD's worth considering, being from LG.

I ask what does OCnoob say about the LG LED's?

i only post this for reference as others will read this thread.

Voodoo enjoy that TV, cause i sure enjoyed mine watching Serenity again on it. another movies worth watching again imo on blueray Harrypotter series and IronMan. still looking for the "battle for middle earth" bluerays....

I have to ask after reading just a bit of the first part of the thread. with the statement that no LED-LCD is worth a darn. the only one i saw talked about was from Sharp, maybe OC talked about sammy LED's but didnt. Even i wouldnt consider the Sammy LEDs either, the one that is missed, which dissapoints me is from LG. A full array LED LCD,THX certified even at the 40in model. i picked up my current 47in LG LED on sale for $1299 at BB, currently $1699. though the 55in LED-LCD is going for $2399. i just wanted to point out there are LED LCD's worth considering, being from LG.

I ask what does OCnoob say about the LG LED's?

i only post this for reference as others will read this thread.

Voodoo enjoy that TV, cause i sure enjoyed mine watching Serenity again on it. another movies worth watching again imo on blueray Harrypotter series and IronMan. still looking for the "battle for middle earth" bluerays....

There are good CCFL LCD's good LED LCD's (back and side lit) and good plasmas. The TV choice depends on the application and user preferences.

Every manufacturer makes several good sets. Some are, in my opinion and those of others, better as a whole, better in specific models, etc.

Samsung's backlit LED LCD's with local dimming are EXCELLENT. LG also makes a very good product, however, in my opinion, not quite as sharp to my eye. LG IPS displays use a C shaped PIXEL whereas Samsung uses a straight edged pixel. I also find SAMSUNG to have the best color, motion reproduction, and discernable contrast in the $2000-4000 LED/LCD market range. Again- opinion.

Samsung's backlit LED LCD's with local dimming are EXCELLENT. LG also makes a very good product, however, in my opinion, not quite as sharp to my eye. LG IPS displays use a C shaped PIXEL whereas Samsung uses a straight edged pixel. I also find SAMSUNG to have the best color, motion reproduction, and discernable contrast in the $2000-4000 LED/LCD market range. Again- opinion.
just asking here, but how could all of Sammy's sets being Edge driven. have a chance at being better then a LG full array, take the LCD panel out of the Equation. that is unless the Panel is what is making the difference here. As far as i have see the LED-LCDs from sammy are so thin, they have to be edge driven. unless they came up with the thinnest back/full array LED ever..

just asking here, but how could all of Sammy's sets being Edge driven. have a chance at being better then a LG full array, take the LCD panel out of the Equation. that is unless the Panel is what is making the difference here. As far as i have see the LED-LCDs from sammy are so thin, they have to be edge driven. unless they came up with the thinnest back/full array LED ever..

I was under a different impression.

I thought 600Hz subfield drive is not the same as refresh rate?

And aren't most blu-rays sold in 24fps and not 60fps? I can't wait to watch 60fps 1080p.... :beer:

Back