• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever replaced a broken laptop LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdrake90

I have a client that is interested in possibly having me replace a broken LCD for her old IBook G4... anyone ever done this before that can help me out here?

Thanks in advance you smart shisno (a little bit of Red VS Blue lingo;-)

Jdrake90

jdrake90 said:
I have a client that is interested in possibly having me replace a broken LCD for her old IBook G4... anyone ever done this before that can help me out here?

Thanks in advance you smart shisno (a little bit of Red VS Blue lingo;-)

Jdrake90

I've done it. And there's an article about it on tomshardware.com

It's pretty straightforward:

Unscrew all the screws around the monitor, take out old monitor, put in new one.

rainless is right, it's really easy. The hard part is getting the right panel. There are only a few manufactures of lcd panels for laptops anyway. You'll get that information from the back of the panel somewhere. If you can't find it then just look around google for it, type something like "Ibook G4 lcd panel replacement", poke around... you'll find what you need.

Make sure you shop around for it. When I replaced a screen for my brother's laptop, most places were asking hundreds of dollars. I eventually found the screen for around $50.

Also, be careful handling the bare screen, you have to make sure you evenly support it's weight so you don't damage it. Otherwise, replacing a screen in a laptop is cake.

Also I wouldnt skimp on shipping try to use the company that has been best to you thus far even if it cost like 5-10 bucks more.

Back